About claiming gamertags on inactive acccounts

Discus and support About claiming gamertags on inactive acccounts in XBoX Accessibility to solve the problem; How does one exactly claim a gamertag from an inactive account? There is this account that has 0 gamerscore, 0 followers and 0 games. How can I claim... Discussion in 'XBoX Accessibility' started by Lumiere7, Oct 17, 2020 at 10:42 AM.

1. Lumiere7
    Lumiere7 Guest

How does one exactly claim a gamertag from an inactive account? There is this account that has 0 gamerscore, 0 followers and 0 games. How can I claim his/her gamertag?

:)

2. Smwutches Win User

Claiming an inactive gamertag

With the gamertag update last year, you can use a gamertag even if it's already in use, however, it will give you a suffix to differentiate you between the original. https://support.xbox.com/help/account-profile/profile/gamertag-update-faq

Otherwise, as long as it's still on the servers, there's no way for you to take it. 2021 would be the first time tags are freed up since that policy went in place, but even then, even if the game isn't in use on an Xbox, it may be in use elsewhere. So there's
    no guarantee it will be freed up.
  3. Smwutches Win User

Inactive Gamertag Claiming

Per the terms of service, if a person does not sign into their account for 5 years, the account will be released.
  4. Spenceretro Win User

Thanks for the quick reply, really helped. I have just seen rumors or heard about people being able to claim other gamertags that are somehow inactive, that is why I thought I would put my question out there. Thanks again.
  5. XBF Eladio M Win User

Hey Spenceretro

Thank you for taking the time to let us know what info worked for you.

As there is no further info that we can provide to you on this matter, we will now be locking this thread.

If you have any other questions or concerns that differ from this matter, please, feel free to create a new thread and we will cater to you there.

Thank you for being a part of the Xbox Family and we wish you a wonderful day.
  6. Nburns25 Win User

Gamertag is taken even though everywhere says its not

Hello,

Microsoft has stated previously that an account must be inactive for a minimum of 2 years before being designated as inactive. After that period, the gamertag can be reclaimed by a new account. Before then, there is no way to claim the gamertag if it is
    linked to an account that has not been inactive for two years.

I hope this helps and sorry for the inconvenience.
Thema:

1. About claiming gamertags on inactive acccounts - Similar Threads - claiming gamertags inactive

2. Claiming an inactive gamertag

in XBoX on Consoles
    Claiming an inactive gamertag: Recently, I have had the urge to change my gamertag. My current gamertag is I Yibo I and although this name has served me well, I wanted to see if I could get rid of the brackets. Unfortunately,...
  3. I want to claim an inactive gamertag

in XBoX on Consoles
    I want to claim an inactive gamertag: So I want to claim the gamertag Aary since I'm sure the account has been inactive for more than 2 years now and according to the Xbox policy those inactive gamertag will be available to claim....
  4. Way to claim an inactive Xbox gamertag?

in XboX Insiders
    Way to claim an inactive Xbox gamertag?: Hey everyone! I was directed here by a support rep to see if I could claim a gamertag from an account that has been inactive for ~9 years. The original gamertag is nicnacnic and my current one is...
  5. Can't claim gamertag that has been reserved, then deleted/changed to something else

in XBoX on Consoles
    Can't claim gamertag that has been reserved, then deleted/changed to something else: Hello, I would like to know if I can claim a Gamertag that I reserved on another Xbox account. Is that possible? Here's the story: A while back, before getting an Xbox, I decided that I should...
  6. I want to go back to an old gamertag on my xbox account, but it claims it is taken.

in XBoX Accessibility
    I want to go back to an old gamertag on my xbox account, but it claims it is taken.: I made an accidental name change a few months back and I now have 10 dollars to change it back. When i typed in my old gamertag it said it either wasn't allowed or it was already taken. (By the...
  7. Claim Xbox gamertag from my previous Xbox account

in XBoX Accessibility
    Claim Xbox gamertag from my previous Xbox account: Hello! I have a problem with Xbox account gamertag. Some time ago I had Microsoft and Xbox accounts. I deleted my Microsoft account about 1 year ago but my Xbox account gamertag is still exist and...
  8. There is any chance to claim a gamertag reset for an inactive account?

in XBoX on Consoles
    There is any chance to claim a gamertag reset for an inactive account?: For long I've been wanting to have my gamertag as (Mod Removed) But the thing is that there is an account that has never been used once that has that gamertag on, my question is: Can somebody...
  9. Claiming a gamertag

in XBoX on Consoles
    Claiming a gamertag: Hello I have recently spoke to the support team and would like to reserve a gamertag for the recycle date! The gamertag is: Prinzy fe3788bf-c70a-4858-af58-03a71b0a6226
  10. Inactive Gamertag Claiming

in XBoX on Consoles
    Inactive Gamertag Claiming: I'm sure this has been said before, but could it be included in the terms or something that if a user has not had Gold for over a year, their Gamertag can be claimed? Because too many people make...