Advice: MS sent me a faulty Xbox that is now out of warranty

Discus and support Advice: MS sent me a faulty Xbox that is now out of warranty in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; I've been buying Xbox consoles now since the original Xbox came out in the early 2000s. Like a lot of people, I've experienced hardware issues (red... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by Merlin Cosmo, Jun 12, 2019.

1. Merlin Cosmo
    Merlin Cosmo Guest

I've been buying Xbox consoles now since the original Xbox came out in the early 2000s. Like a lot of people, I've experienced hardware issues (red ring of death etc). Granted, I need to stop buying my consoles on the day of release. There's always a greater
    risk of hardware malfunctions etc, but I get too excited and end up waiting in line at midnight every single time there's a new Xbox.

Bought myself a Scorpio edition X. Of course, typical...there are issues. Unfortunately I'm now in a situation where I don't get to play my Xbox much, so the odd time that the console crashes or the UI doesn't load right, I figure it's something that everybody
    experiences now and then and I just do a manual reset.

Turns out there was something wrong with my Xbox. The thing wouldn't load any games or apps when using the 'Instant On' feature. So I got in touch with MS and they sent me a new unit. This was some time last year.

Fast forward to now, and I'm noticing the same thing starts happening again, with the new Xbox. Only this time, instead of not loading games, it's deleting HOURS of progress from my saves! I noticed it halfway through Red Dead 2 when all of a sudden I'd gone
    back in time by about 4 hours. At first I blamed the developer and thought that their update screwed up my game. But it just happened AGAIN on Arkham Asylum! I was on the last mission and now I don't even want to play it anymore because I just lost 5 hours
    of play!

Bare in mind...I hardly ever get to play this thing. I've only played two games this year. Red Dead and Arkham Asylum.

I get in touch with MS and their response is that it's out of warranty so I have to pay to have it repaired! I'm sorry, but no. My Xbox i kept PRISTINE. This is not misuse, and I haven't knocked it over or anything like that.

Does anybody know where I stand on this? I've only ever owned ONE Xbox that worked perfectly. The one I bought in 2002. If I'm going to have to pay to have it repaired, this will be the last one I buy.

:)

Merlin Cosmo, Jun 12, 2019
  2. Merlin Cosmo Win User

Yeah man, sucks. Part of me feels a little screwed over. It seems the only reason I now have to pay to have this thing looked at is because I don't have enough time to play the thing as often as I'd like. A faulty console is a faulty console, but I get
    that from their POV warranties are there to protect their business.
  3. DrifterX22 Win User

A warranty is for a specific period of time does not matter use or non-use of the item. Yes it can be frustrating to try to count on something that fails when you need it.
  4. steeledwand7664 Win User

Actually Depending on where you live the minimum warranty for the console is 1 year (this is the case in N. American market) I believe in some countries in Europe they have longer warranties. But I know for a fact in the N. American market the consoles have
    a 1 year warranty. MS does offer an extended warranty at time of purchase this normally has to be purchased through their website or you have to take the console to a local MS store (not many around) within like the first 30 days I believe or if I know some
    retailers do sale extended warranties on electronics like that too.

The only time that you have a 90 day warranty on a console is if you sent it in for repair and paid for the repair then the console would have a 90 day warranty on it.

If your console was sent in under warranty for a repair you would still have the rest of the original warranty left if it was greater then 90 days.

ALL accessories (controllers, Headsets, etc...) have a 90 day warranty on them Yes even the elite controllers have 90 day warranties on them.
  5. Merlin Cosmo Win User

Far as I'm aware any repairs or replacements under warranty are only guaranteed for 90 days I think max - this has been the case for a good while as it's how it was when I got the ring of death a decade or so ago now. It's standard practice & generally
    isn't an issue unless a secondary fault appears.
    Hey, thanks for your reply :)

I must admit, I'm hugely disappointed about this. I only just bought the Game Pass Ultimate and was looking forward to finally getting some free time to play the thing...and now this. I'm not going to start any games whilst my Xbox is deleting save progress,
    and I'm certainly not paying the ridiculous charge to send back what was ANOTHER faulty Scorpio. I'm sick of playing this game with them. To date I've owned 8 Xbox consoles and only 2 of them functioned properly.

Gutted, but I'm not going to continue to plough money into an ecosystem that I can't take full advantage of.
  6. Merlin Cosmo Win User

Actually Depending on where you live the minimum warranty for the console is 1 year (this is the case in N. American market) I believe in some countries in Europe they have longer warranties. But I know for a fact in the N. American market the consoles have
    a 1 year warranty. MS does offer an extended warranty at time of purchase this normally has to be purchased through their website or you have to take the console to a local MS store (not many around) within like the first 30 days I believe or if I know some
    retailers do sale extended warranties on electronics like that too.

The only time that you have a 90 day warranty on a console is if you sent it in for repair and paid for the repair then the console would have a 90 day warranty on it.

If your console was sent in under warranty for a repair you would still have the rest of the original warranty left if it was greater then 90 days.

ALL accessories (controllers, Headsets, etc...) have a 90 day warranty on them Yes even the elite controllers have 90 day warranties on them.
    I'm based in the UK but I'm pretty sure that we have the same warranty terms as our American friends. But yeah, I sent my first Xbox One X back to them when it was within the warranty period. They straight up sent me a new Project Scorpio, which was awesome
    of them. But that makes it all the more disheartening to discover that this one has the same issues.

One thing to note, I only noticed these issues after a pretty big update. And I believe that by that time the new console was already out of warranty. I'm just speculating at this point because I can't actually pinpoint when the console started displaying these
    issues, but at first they were localised to Red Dead 2.

All in all I'm just gutted. I'm not going to buy another Xbox. Sucks because I loved the E3 show, hence why I bought Game Pass Ultimate.

(And if people are wondering why I would buy GPU when I knew I had a faulty Xbox, I actually believed that the issues were with Red Dead 2, not the Xbox itself. I only discovered that the Xbox was to blame when I tried to play Arkham Asylum this afternoon and
    discovered that I'd lost 5 hours worth of gameplay).
Thema:

1. Advice: MS sent me a faulty Xbox that is now out of warranty - Similar Threads - Advice sent faulty

2. Skyrim advice

in XBoX on Consoles
    Skyrim advice: I made a new character and I had a character that was level 204. Is it okay to use the cheat room to get my old level back because I don't want to lose this level or should I accually just...
  3. Need advice on this?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Need advice on this?: So like hi, hello this is my first post on here but I'm only doing this cause I kinda need other peoples thoughts on this. So recently I've just been random messages from 2 different xbox accounts...
  4. advice for configuring port triggering on comcast gateway

in XboX Networking Hardware
    advice for configuring port triggering on comcast gateway: advice for configuring port triggering on comcast gateway Hello Joe4842! Feel free to contact your Internet Service Provider (Comcast) support or Xbox Customer Support so that they can assist...
  5. Who do i contact about tech support breaking my system with there advice?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Who do i contact about tech support breaking my system with there advice?: hey all i'm posting here first time for me but wondering who I can email about my issue. my issue is I could not log into xbox live today so I purchased 1 yr sub but could not get on to live....
  6. Custom controller sent in for repairs TWICE, looking for advice on how to get refund at...

in XBoX Sales and Promo
    Custom controller sent in for repairs TWICE, looking for advice on how to get refund at...: I'll try to keep this short and sweet. Bought a 'custom' controller for my husband for Christmas - literally the only thing I did was add his gamertag engraved onto the front. Got the...
  7. Advice needed!

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Advice needed!: I am from Singapore and I have an xbox one. I wanted to play midnight club: LA (NTSC-J) but when I insert the disc it did not recognize the disc I waited but nothing happened. I then tried again...
  8. In need of advice

in XBoX Accessibility
    In need of advice: So a couple of weeks back I start to notice that I had pain developing in my thumb and finger the longer I play the worse it gets is this something that will go away with a long rest period or...
  9. Advice about Xbox One memory storage

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Advice about Xbox One memory storage: I already have a Seagate with 1 or 2 TB memory for a while now, but I am not sure that I have to change it since it's acting up as there's random shutdown(of white thin light)/disconnection. Do I...
  10. I need advice on what to do about a lost XBOX360 Sent in for repair.

in XBoX on Consoles
    I need advice on what to do about a lost XBOX360 Sent in for repair.: I sent my son's XBOX360s in for warranty repair. Repair received it on 12/5. I was told turnaround was 7-14 days. Which it was, the repair was finished on 12/13/2013. I was told it shipped. Then...