Are controller shells interchangeable?

Discus and support Are controller shells interchangeable? in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; I have the original Xbox One controller (purchase in 2014 with the console), but the shell/ casing has broken. I've found a few replacement shells on... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by CrypticDan, Oct 6, 2019.

1. CrypticDan
    CrypticDan Guest

I have the original Xbox One controller (purchase in 2014 with the console), but the shell/ casing has broken. I've found a few replacement shells on eBay (referred to as the 'Xbox One S' controller) and wondered if I'd be able to use them on the original
    controller?

On the newer design the area around the 'guide' button is part of the controller 'faceplate', but on the original controller it's a separate module, so can I just buy a newer design shell and change it over? Or are the screw holes and overall fitment different
    on the newer design?

- Dan

:)

CrypticDan, Oct 6, 2019
  2. The1337gamer Win User

controller cases?

3. XBF Erick C Win User

Hey there CrypticDan,

Thank you for reaching out to us on the forums, Of course we would not recommend opening up your controller as you could damage the device in the process.

Also, please keep the Xbox Forums Guidelines when posting on the threads as to not break them,

22) Please do not discuss or post links to any topic that could violate the 'Terms Of Use'. Including any threads or posts regarding modifying the way your Xbox operates such 'modding' and/or 'chipping' your
    Xbox or otherwise altering the way it is intended to operate. This includes ANY discussion of self-repair. Please only suggest official support procedures as noted on official support pages on Xbox.com.

We will go ahead and lock this thread to prevent further suggestions to modify the devices.

Happy Gaming!
  4. AngelObullets Win User

I don't recall them being interchangeable and I wouldn't recommend it personally due to different versions of the controller board and controllers ect
  5. Yombi GS Win User

i think you can change them but im not totaly sure.
  6. ElectroFlying Win User

Oh... controller woes....

The matterial the shells are made from is different. (ABS plastic etc)

You can feel the difference by pressing your thumb nail along the shell just under the thumb sticks. The 360 shell is tough and resists pressure like it should while the X1 shell does not and will flex inwards, even in an area where it should be structerly
    the strongest.

Give it a try and listen to all the creaking going on in the X1 controller, now try the 360 controller.

Loved the Big Duke controller, but both it and the S had the same flaw. The cord would break at the controller. Went through a lot of em over the years.
Thema:

1. Are controller shells interchangeable? - Similar Threads - Are controller shells

2. Controller issue in xcloud/gears 5

in XboX Insiders
    Controller issue in xcloud/gears 5: The menu button is not working even after doing a firmware upgrade on the controller, is this a known issue/something that is being worked on? I out feedback in the app. submitted by /u/robnmish...
  3. Controller Lost Connection error in Minecraft

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Controller Lost Connection error in Minecraft: I am experiencing an issue where one of my four controllers when trying to play split screen on Minecraft says controller lost connection, this is a different controller each time & the controller...
  4. Xbox Design Lab controller ne fonctionne plus [Translation - Xbox Design Lab controller no...

in XBoX on Windows
    Xbox Design Lab controller ne fonctionne plus [Translation - Xbox Design Lab controller no...: Bonjour, Ma manette Xbox Design Lab ne fonctionne plus depuis hier. Impossible de l'allumer avec la batterie pleine, et quand je met des piles le bouton Xbox s'allume pendant une seconde puis...
  5. New Xbox One controller keeps disconnecting from console

in XBoX on Consoles
    New Xbox One controller keeps disconnecting from console: Hi All, I bought a new xbox one controller (wireless) to use with my xbox one S roughly two months ago. The controller worked perfectly for a couple of weeks and then began disconnecting mid use...
  6. родительский контроль [Translate] Parental control

in XBoX on Consoles
    родительский контроль [Translate] Parental control: добрый день помогите сбросить код родительского контроля. [Translate by Mod] good afternoon help reset the parental control code. 8791879d-24f7-40ff-a5c6-235b64aefd05
  7. Xbox adaptive controller and copilot mode compatibility question

in XBoX Accessibility
    Xbox adaptive controller and copilot mode compatibility question: Hi I'm a one handed gamer whose left hand lacks motor functions after an accident. I'm usually gaming with an arcade stick but they lack the analog controls so it doesn't work in all situations....
  8. Cracked Xbox One S controller shell

in XBoX on Consoles
    Cracked Xbox One S controller shell: Where would be the most suitable place would be to get a Xbox One S controller shell replacement? As my controller shell has a crack in it and in need of replacement....
  9. Hello we're can I bay shell to Xbox controll?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Hello we're can I bay shell to Xbox controll?: hello I have two Xbox one handhaing controller bat one av day I black I will have sam as gears of wars 4 red handing control wer can I bay one? 16fc6231-1e30-425f-bff8-da8a99ff9afb
  10. My controller shell is stuck. How can I make it unstick?

in XBoX on Consoles
    My controller shell is stuck. How can I make it unstick?: I'm trying to open my controller so that I can fix my broken LB button. I took out all the screws with my little Flathead screwdriver, but the shell didn't come off. There's something at the...