Auto Low Latency (ALLM) and FreeSync (VRR) bug

Discus and support Auto Low Latency (ALLM) and FreeSync (VRR) bug in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; Hi! There have been a few threads about this issue last year. The issue involves that auto low latency doesn’t work properly while freesync (or vrr) is... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by QuantumCommando, Jun 28, 2020.

1. Auto Low Latency (ALLM) and FreeSync (VRR) bug

Hi! There have been a few threads about this issue last year. The issue involves that auto low latency doesn’t work properly while freesync (or vrr) is enabled one xbox one x. The issue seems to transend different TV models, meaning the issue in on the xbox
    side for sure.

RobertSteeleXY did a fantastic in-depth write up about this issue and posted in several threads linked below. I also want to thank him for his hard work and care.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...-content/d53cf12b-c6ba-476e-bdcd-9ffaabcfd6e5

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...-allm-tv/ee1f0346-172c-470e-bb2e-8988b5d2c3c2

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...-netflix/2faa6cd6-727e-41c1-bd6a-87a8d75f9fc9As
    one can see in his write up, not only does this occur on different TVs, but the actual specifications for these features say it should work.

I can add to this. I have a 2020 Samsung Q90T, and like his LG C9, the same exact issue occurs as described. On my tv, it initially says it turns off game mode when intended and then immediately reenables it. ALLM starts working again only when VRR/FreeSync
    is disabled.

I also considered hdmi 2.1. While these may be 2.1 features, the xbox one x does not support full 2.1 and is intended to work with older standards on supported TVs. His C9 has all 2.1, and therefore is unable to test 2.0. Unfortunetly, my tv has one 2.1
    and the rest 2.0. Trying the different ports, the same exact issue occurs - no difference. Didn’t have high hopes for this but now we know.

Like him, I hope Microsoft will acknowledge and fix this relatively long-standing issue.

My question is, has anyone fixed this? And Microsoft, what’s going on here?

Thank you!

:)

QuantumCommando, Jun 28, 2020
    1 person likes this.
  2. THX1138 Win User

Variable Refresh Rate greyed out with a AMD compatible Monitor (HP 27xq AMD FreeSync monitor)

Hello,

VRR is supported via HDMI 2.1. The Xbox One X is the only console that has HDMI 2.1. Xbox One S has HDMI 2.0. This Fall 2020 the new Xbox Series X will also support HDMI 2.1 features like VRR, Auto Low Latency Mode (ALLM) and up to 120fps support.
  3. annix Win User

Best Automatically Compatible Xbox One X 120Hz Freesync Monitors With 1MS Response Time?

As OP mentioned it’s super important that you find a monitor that accepts freesync over HDMI, but I did want to point out that the One X actually fully supports the HDMI 2.1 spec, including the new built in HDMI VRR mode. You’re going to have quite a time
    finding any monitors that support HDMI 2.1 until next year (according to the estimates and rumours I’ve seen). The only display I know of that fully supports HDMI 2.1 at this point is the LG C9, but that’s a TV. (It does run 120hz native though, and the Auto
    Low Latency / HDR implementation is best in class).

That said, most games on Xbox that support Freesync really only need a range of 45-60hz to work well, as there aren’t many (if any) games that I know of on the One X that go over 60fps.

Best of luck in your search!
  4. Lord C Vandingo Win User

Xbox One X no Dolby Atmos using Samsung HW-N950 & Samsung QE65Q9FN 4KTV

The Xbox is able to recognise the Dolby Atmos capability on the soundbar if connected directly .

However FreeSync (variable refresh rate ) is not selectable on the display and sound settings page of the Xbox X.

Free Sync is available on my Samsung Q9 and is an option in the game mode menu of the TV.

Game mode is a TV mode that allows low latency on Samsung (and other manufacturers) TV's.

My TV allows Auto Low Latency and this doesn't work when plugged directly into the soundbar (Samsung HW-N950) despite Auto Low -Latency being recognised on the Display & Sound settings page on the Xbox X. The TV will not allow this when the Xbox is plugged
    into the soundbar via HDMI then into the TV by HDMI ARC.

Auto Game mode or Auto Low Latency turns on game mode while playing games but turns game mode off automatically should i use a blu ray disc for example.

So two modes made available to me by Xbox and Samsung currently don't work in tandem in the correct manner.
  5. OneScaryNerd Win User

Samsung HG40EA790MS: FreeSync issue on Samsung Q7FN TV

Hey Paul!

Not a resolution problem but a VRR/FreeSync issue. The XboxOneX detects my TV and enables Automatic Game mode and VRR/FreeSync. But I'm seeing these rolling bars. I can turn off VRR/FreeSync on both 1440p@120Hz and 4K@60Hz and the problem is gone.

So it's a VRR/FreeSync issue. I'm seeing on YouTube others demonstrating this new TV with these gaming features with XboxOneX and all of them have rolling bars. Some say they cant see it and that it can only bee seen when watching a recording because of
    the refresh rate. But I can clearly see it.

So either I have some super eyes. Or there's something wrong somewhere or others claiming they cant see it haven't noticed it yet. An example of that is clouding on LCD TV's. People I know dont know what that is until I explain it and show it on their TV's.
    Then they see it all the time suddenly....
  6. XBF Diego M Win User

HDR Flickering Screen Tearing Xbox One X on LG OLED E9

Hi DizzleD,

I'm sorry to hear about this issue. I noticed you said this issue occurs even after turning off VRR but have you tried toggling Dolby Vision and see if you get screen tears with it on and off? Also I noticed from the support article titled "How
    to adjust the display settings on your Xbox One
    ", that auto low latency mode (game mode) can affect HDR colors since some of that processing may be disabled to reduce the latency. If you have game mode on in the settings, try turning it off and see if
    you get the same picture quality.

Try again with those two settings turned off and see if the screen is still flickering.

If that still does not work, then you will just need to wait for a future system update fixing video passthrough with 4K, HDR, & VRR enabled TV's. The Xbox One X had this feature primarily for display's that supported VRR through AMD FreeSync or HDMI-VRR
    and these display were usually monitors that only had 1440p resolution, and not 4K. So it seems that the issue lies with VRR plus HDR with 4K resolutions at 60Hz, since it should work fine at 1080p or 1440p with either 60 Hz or 120 Hz.

If this is the case, I recommend reporting the issue to the Insider team through the

Xbox Insider hub app
Thema:

Auto Low Latency (ALLM) and FreeSync (VRR) bug

1. Auto Low Latency (ALLM) and FreeSync (VRR) bug - Similar Threads - Auto Low Latency

2. Auto-Renew for Gamepass Ultimate shows wrong date on App?

in XBoX on Windows
    Auto-Renew for Gamepass Ultimate shows wrong date on App?: On the Xbox App on PC my account shows that Gamepass Ultimate will auto-renew on the 10/07/20 (so next week). When I press manage, on my account on the website page, it says the auto-renew date...
  3. Disney+ doesn’t report itself as not a game in Auto-Game mode/Auto Low Latency

in XboX Insiders
    Disney+ doesn’t report itself as not a game in Auto-Game mode/Auto Low Latency: I have the Samsung Q7 which supports Auto Low Latency (which Samsung calls Auto-Game Mode). Disney+ incorrectly reports itself as a game. I had to disable Auto-Game Mode to get the colours to look...
  4. : Allow auto-low latency mode grayed out connectiong to Samsung TV RU710D

in XBoX TV Hardware
    : Allow auto-low latency mode grayed out connectiong to Samsung TV RU710D: : Allow auto-low latency mode grayed out connectiong to Samsung TV RU710D I would use the HDMI cable that came with the Xbox One, Third Party cables can be hit or miss depending on there quality,...
  5. Video Issues since update AUTO LOW LATENCY , SAMSUNG 65" Q9FN

in XBoX on Consoles
    Video Issues since update AUTO LOW LATENCY , SAMSUNG 65" Q9FN: I have a Samsung 65" Q9 TV and it has AUTO LOW LATENCY mode where it switches between game mode and normal by itself however it seems since the update occasionally when playing it switches to GAME...
  6. Xbox one x on Samsung q80 auto low latency issues

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox one x on Samsung q80 auto low latency issues: Whenever i want to use my xbox to watch netflix or something besides a game, the game mode switches as its supposed to but always switches back to game mode on even when im watching a video. My tv...
  7. Onkyo: Auto Low Latency compatibility with equipment help

in XBoX TV Hardware
    Onkyo: Auto Low Latency compatibility with equipment help: Onkyo (Audio/Video Receivers): Auto Low Latency compatibility with equipment help are you sure if you receiver have total compatibility with xbox features? like hdmi version, resolution, hdr and...
  8. Variable Refresh Rate (VRR) & Auto Low Latency Mode (ALLM) Bug

in XboX Insiders
    Variable Refresh Rate (VRR) & Auto Low Latency Mode (ALLM) Bug: The below are not my words. They are someone elses writeup of a test they did. I am also having the same issue. Can we get someone on the Xbox Team to open a support ticket to the engineering team...
  9. Broken "auto low-latency mode"

in XboX Insiders
    Broken "auto low-latency mode": I'm not sure if it's The Insider build or the recent update to my TCL Roku TV that caused this. But Auto low latency mode is no longer selectable in my Xbox settings. I went to play Rock Band this...
  10. Auto low latency mode issues.

in XBoX on Consoles
    Auto low latency mode issues.: OK so my issue is is that I cannot select the option auto latency mode, and variable refresh rate. On my Xbox one x project Scorpio. I have a sharp 4K 55 inch TV, and for some reason it is not...