Best options to support for drives over 2 Tb in size? Just as Media Storage, and not Game...

Discus and support Best options to support for drives over 2 Tb in size? Just as Media Storage, and not Game... in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; I have noticed that when I use a 3 Tb Western Digital external drive on my Xbox One X it cannot read movie files loaded onto the disk after the 2 Tb... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by DirtonaFROOK, Aug 15, 2019.

1. DirtonaFROOK
    DirtonaFROOK Guest

Best options to support for drives over 2 Tb in size? Just as Media Storage, and not Game...

I have noticed that when I use a 3 Tb Western Digital external drive on my Xbox One X it cannot read movie files loaded onto the disk after the 2 Tb barrier is reached. The remaining 1 Tb is unreadable. There are several posts about this in other forums.
    The solution seems to be using the WD Advanced Formatting Utility and setting this disk as a single 3Tb drive, and format in NTFS. What I can't figure out is should I use the standard 512 byte sectors, or the newer 4096 byte sectors? Does anyone know?

:)

DirtonaFROOK, Aug 15, 2019
  2. DirtonaFROOK Win User

Best options to support for drives over 2 Tb in size? Just as Media Storage, and not Game Storage...

I have used a Western Digital MyBook 4TB drive for a couple of years, recently switched to a Seagate 10TB drive with USB Hub built-in... Both drive works fine but I use it for game storage (drives formatted by Xbox One X console) never used it for
    multimedia, I ask you about the USB port because I remeber that one of the rear ports is recommended.
    Hi Napalm 31337

I didn't get a chance to try one of the back ports yet, but definitely today after lunch. Hopefully that makes a difference. I know that game drives (external) can go up to 18 Terabytes so this is strange how the media drives are so limited. I have a 2TB
    Green Xbox drive from Seagate used for games and have been considering plugging it into my Windows 10 machine and doing a disk analysis on it to see the format type, partition type, and sector/cluster sizes. If all else fails, I can mimic that disc layout
    on my media drive with an advanced formatting utility. I'll keep the thread posted on how it goes.

Thanks to everyone for the feedback during this testing phase.
  3. Njal the Blue Win User

Best options to support for drives over 2 Tb in size? Just as Media Storage, and not Game Storage...

I would suggest that you download the Xbox Insider Hub app and when you replicate the issue, use the report feature. This will get data to the development team. Here on the forums, you are dealing with majority of fellow gamers, helping out fellow gamers,
    with some forum staff.

The "Microsoft article" you linked to is just other gamers reporting and discussing the situation on this very forum, so not actually an official article about the issue. I can understand your frustration but reporting via the Xbox Insider Hub app is the
    best solution to getting the matter looked at.

As for the OS it is based on a stripped down version of Windows 10
  4. DirtonaFROOK Win User

I never used the external HD for other types of files other than games, I also use one of the western digital 1tb, before it ran normal ?!
    Yes, I can still access files put on the drive before I went over 2Tb and got into that last terabyte. Those files beyond the 2tb mark can be selected but every media player (Xbox Media Player, VLC, and Scorpio Player) all throw errors when trying to open
    the files. The exact message I get from the XBox is...

Can't Play

Please try again. The the problem continues....yadda yadda yadda...

0x00d11cd (0x80070001)

I've even take a file written way back when the drive was new and made a copy of it on the same drive. Old version still loads, new version throws error. So it's totally XBox O.S. related. Has nothing to do with the storage other than it can't deal with
    drives over 2TB.
  5. DirtonaFROOK Win User

I have used a Western Digital MyBook 4TB drive for a couple of years, recently switched to a Seagate 10TB drive with USB Hub built-in... Both drive works fine but I use it for game storage (drives formatted by Xbox One X console) never used it for
    multimedia, I ask you about the USB port because I remeber that one of the rear ports is recommended.
    ------ SOLUTION FOUND ---------------

If you have a WD Essentials or Passport External HD over 2TB in size and want to use it on your Xbox One (X, S, or original) as a Media (Music, Videos and NOT GAMES) you have to use this utility to format it correctly so you can use the entire 3TB, 4TB,
    8TB etc. as one continuous partition (Volume). I have done many hours of research and this is the ONLY WAY I have found to work.

Get the Advanced formatting utility here, and use all the defaults...

https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/16241

It will format the external disk as MBR with 4K sectors in NTFS so the Xbox will be able to read media beyond the 2TB limit you get with standard exFat 512k Sectors, or NTFS 512k Sectors. Only 4096 (4K) sectors will work. This Western Digital formatting
    utility does it all for you and quickly.

See screenshots for drive info an proof of drive config.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  6. DirtonaFROOK Win User

Have you tried different USB Ports?
    I've been using the port on the front of XBox One X but according to the specs they are all the same type of USB 3.0 ports. I will give it another try this evening when I get home with one of the rear ports. I wish the guy that said he had a Seagate drive
    working past 2Tb would post his drive configuration. That would go a long way at helping.

I can for sure rule these out.. (3 Terabyte WD Essentials external Hard Drive). Single partition. 1080p, 4K HDR, MKV, MP4 and HEVC x264 and x265 files on drive...

--- NTFS w/ GUID Partition Table format = Folders & Files listable past 2Tb but files in folders will not open. Only pre-2Tb files will open.

--- exFAT w/ 4K Sector Configuration = Folders listable past 2Tb but files in folders will not open
Thema:

1. Best options to support for drives over 2 Tb in size? Just as Media Storage, and not Game... - Similar Threads - Best options support

2. Please tell me the list of 4gb best game

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Please tell me the list of 4gb best game: Can u please tell me the list of best games which can play 4gb ram I found this link on the net can anybody confirm me is it good...
  3. Best looking costumes seen on startrek online

in XBoX on Consoles
    Best looking costumes seen on startrek online: Hi im a big startrek fan and enjoy making costumes on the game so far I've made a awesome looking cyclops (from xmen) And a few other nice costumes I was wondering what every one else have...
  4. What is the best IPTV service provider for XBOX?

in XBoX Accessibility
    What is the best IPTV service provider for XBOX?: Recently I was looking for the best IPTV service provider for my XBOX, then I found IPTVtune on Quora many people say they are best for XBOX. Can anybody tell me are they really best for XBOX?...
  5. Best way to set up a second Xbox One S

in XBoX on Consoles
    Best way to set up a second Xbox One S: I purchased a second Xbox One S and I am now understanding that you cannot have both assigned to the same account without one logging off when you want to use the other. I purchased it to mainly...
  6. Microsoft Gold or Game Pass - Best Gift Option

in XBoX Sales and Promo
    Microsoft Gold or Game Pass - Best Gift Option: Hi, My brother in law is joining the console community, along with his kids, and we thought it would be good to get a subscription as a gift. Am I right in thinking that buying a 12 month Gold...
  7. Game collector what is the best option ?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Game collector what is the best option ?: What is the best choice ? 1. Buy CD but you need to worry about how long the CD is readable or how long console will have Optical Drive ? 2. Buy Digital copy, you are basically leasing it for...
  8. Best Headset Options for Xbox One (I'm getting Turtle Beach 800x)

in XBoX on Consoles
    Best Headset Options for Xbox One (I'm getting Turtle Beach 800x): Hi all. Any opinions on best headset for Xbox One? Since 2016 I've been using my Turtle Beach 500x but since January this year, the hinges cracked (see photos below). I had it replaced twice and...
  9. What's the best XBOX Live GOLD option for 2 xbox consoles and 3 profiles?

in XBoX on Consoles
    What's the best XBOX Live GOLD option for 2 xbox consoles and 3 profiles?: I've been considering re-activating XBOX Live Gold for my profile and 2 others in the household. 1 Xbox 360 console with 2 profiles and 1 Xbox 360 console with 1 profile. What is the best option...
  10. Best options for external storage?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Best options for external storage?: Hi everyone, My Xbox 360 S's 320 GB hard drive is completely full; mostly with games and DLC. It's time to invest in some external storage. Does anyone know which external hard drives work best...