Best options to support for drives over 2 Tb in size? Just as Media Storage, and not Game...

Discus and support Best options to support for drives over 2 Tb in size? Just as Media Storage, and not Game... in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; I have noticed that when I use a 3 Tb Western Digital external drive on my Xbox One X it cannot read movie files loaded onto the disk after the 2 Tb... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by DirtonaFROOK, Aug 15, 2019.

1. DirtonaFROOK
    DirtonaFROOK Guest

Best options to support for drives over 2 Tb in size? Just as Media Storage, and not Game...

I have noticed that when I use a 3 Tb Western Digital external drive on my Xbox One X it cannot read movie files loaded onto the disk after the 2 Tb barrier is reached. The remaining 1 Tb is unreadable. There are several posts about this in other forums.
    The solution seems to be using the WD Advanced Formatting Utility and setting this disk as a single 3Tb drive, and format in NTFS. What I can't figure out is should I use the standard 512 byte sectors, or the newer 4096 byte sectors? Does anyone know?

:)

DirtonaFROOK, Aug 15, 2019
  2. Njal the Blue Win User

Best options to support for drives over 2 Tb in size? Just as Media Storage, and not Game Storage...

I would suggest that you download the Xbox Insider Hub app and when you replicate the issue, use the report feature. This will get data to the development team. Here on the forums, you are dealing with majority of fellow gamers, helping out fellow gamers,
    with some forum staff.

The "Microsoft article" you linked to is just other gamers reporting and discussing the situation on this very forum, so not actually an official article about the issue. I can understand your frustration but reporting via the Xbox Insider Hub app is the
    best solution to getting the matter looked at.

As for the OS it is based on a stripped down version of Windows 10
  3. DirtonaFROOK Win User

Best options to support for drives over 2 Tb in size? Just as Media Storage, and not Game Storage...

I never used the external HD for other types of files other than games, I also use one of the western digital 1tb, before it ran normal ?!
    Yes, I can still access files put on the drive before I went over 2Tb and got into that last terabyte. Those files beyond the 2tb mark can be selected but every media player (Xbox Media Player, VLC, and Scorpio Player) all throw errors when trying to open
    the files. The exact message I get from the XBox is...

Can't Play

Please try again. The the problem continues....yadda yadda yadda...

0x00d11cd (0x80070001)

I've even take a file written way back when the drive was new and made a copy of it on the same drive. Old version still loads, new version throws error. So it's totally XBox O.S. related. Has nothing to do with the storage other than it can't deal with
    drives over 2TB.
  4. DirtonaFROOK Win User

Have you tried different USB Ports?
    I've been using the port on the front of XBox One X but according to the specs they are all the same type of USB 3.0 ports. I will give it another try this evening when I get home with one of the rear ports. I wish the guy that said he had a Seagate drive
    working past 2Tb would post his drive configuration. That would go a long way at helping.

I can for sure rule these out.. (3 Terabyte WD Essentials external Hard Drive). Single partition. 1080p, 4K HDR, MKV, MP4 and HEVC x264 and x265 files on drive...

--- NTFS w/ GUID Partition Table format = Folders & Files listable past 2Tb but files in folders will not open. Only pre-2Tb files will open.

--- exFAT w/ 4K Sector Configuration = Folders listable past 2Tb but files in folders will not open
  5. DirtonaFROOK Win User

Im using the Seagate® Backup Plus for
    media and works perfect i have over 2 TB of photos, movies, etc on the HDD and no problems there.

Regards!
    If your Seagate will allow you play a file you add AFTER you went over the 2TB threshold of used space, you may be on to something. Can you dump info for the drive and share for us? And if you used a special tool to format it to make it work past this ridiculous
    XBox O.S. restriction.

We need to know the Sector Size (512 or 4096), Partition allocation type (GPT, MBR) and format type (NTFS, exFAT or other)?

Thanks.
  6. XBF Amber M Win User

Hi DirtonaFROOK,

Thanks for reaching out to us in the Xbox forums with this question. In regard to how to allocate the space and manipulate storage on your external hard drive, we recommend that you contact Western Digital to enquire as to what they would recommend to do
    in this situation as they'd have a more direct resolution.

Contact Western Digital Support

I hope this helps you out!
Thema:

1. Best options to support for drives over 2 Tb in size? Just as Media Storage, and not Game... - Similar Threads - Best options support

2. How should I set my audio settings to get the best quality sound from my headphones

in XBoX Accessibility
    How should I set my audio settings to get the best quality sound from my headphones: I have a Xbox one s and when playing fortnite I use my headset how should I set my audio to get the best quality sound using my headphones? A fortnite friend me said something about setting my...
  3. Best games this year so far...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Best games this year so far...: Sunset Overdrive has been goriwng on me and I'm pleasantly surprised by how much I'm enjoying Gears 5. 029a5609-3a53-44a3-90ab-b2638314dff4
  4. What was the best or worst quote from a video game you've ever heard ?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    What was the best or worst quote from a video game you've ever heard ?: This is one of my all time favorites... [img] e8d6ebc9-f83a-49ee-a267-35165f9bb21d
  5. Best excuse you've ever made to get out of work to play a game on the release date?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Best excuse you've ever made to get out of work to play a game on the release date?: When I was in the Navy, I put in a leave request to go to a wedding when Halo 3 launched. 81d9b3d2-0916-4145-b952-8fa80705dda6
  6. Best Settings on Samsung 4K UHD 50'' TV (RU7100) for Gaming

in XBoX on Consoles
    Best Settings on Samsung 4K UHD 50'' TV (RU7100) for Gaming: I just bought a new 50'' 4K UHD TV (RU7100) along with Red Dead Redemption 2 for my Xbox One S. I was really excited to see how awesome the graphics would look on the TV but after countless hours...
  7. Game collector what is the best option ?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Game collector what is the best option ?: What is the best choice ? 1. Buy CD but you need to worry about how long the CD is readable or how long console will have Optical Drive ? 2. Buy Digital copy, you are basically leasing it for...
  8. Best Headset Options for Xbox One (I'm getting Turtle Beach 800x)

in XBoX on Consoles
    Best Headset Options for Xbox One (I'm getting Turtle Beach 800x): Hi all. Any opinions on best headset for Xbox One? Since 2016 I've been using my Turtle Beach 500x but since January this year, the hinges cracked (see photos below). I had it replaced twice and...
  9. What's the best XBOX Live GOLD option for 2 xbox consoles and 3 profiles?

in XBoX on Consoles
    What's the best XBOX Live GOLD option for 2 xbox consoles and 3 profiles?: I've been considering re-activating XBOX Live Gold for my profile and 2 others in the household. 1 Xbox 360 console with 2 profiles and 1 Xbox 360 console with 1 profile. What is the best option...
  10. Best options for external storage?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Best options for external storage?: Hi everyone, My Xbox 360 S's 320 GB hard drive is completely full; mostly with games and DLC. It's time to invest in some external storage. Does anyone know which external hard drives work best...