Bitstream audio lag on Xbox One X (but not for blu-rays)

Discus and support Bitstream audio lag on Xbox One X (but not for blu-rays) in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; I have my Xbox One X connected via HDMI to a Phillips 50PUS7304/12 TV, which is connected via optical audio to a Sonos Playbase. I want to keep the... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by TheMatia003, Feb 12, 2020.

1. TheMatia003
    TheMatia003 Guest

I have my Xbox One X connected via HDMI to a Phillips 50PUS7304/12 TV, which is connected via optical audio to a Sonos Playbase. I want to keep the main audio to the Sonos from my TV for the movie apps on it like Netflix, Amazon Prime Video etc..

If the Xbox audio output over the HDMI is set to stereo uncompressed it's absolutely fine, except that I want better than stereo. It won't accept being set to 5.1 or 7.1 uncompressed (for this I'm just assuming it's because the TV isn't really made to be
    a high-end audio receiver which is fair). If I set it to bitstream out, the Dolby DTS setting is accepted but no sound comes out, while the Dolby Digital and Dolby Atmos settings both have a noticeable lag (maybe up to a second).

If within the bitstream settings I set it to allow the audio receiver to decode blu-ray audio, this lag disappears when playing blu-rays. However, it still exists for doing anything else on the Xbox. Why is this and what can I do to fix it?

:)

TheMatia003, Feb 12, 2020
  2. TheMatia003 Win User

I’m going through this on the Sonos support forum now. While I was running a couple of checks, I realised that I had it a little bit wrong here:

With bitstream, there is no audio lag when playing blu-rays and I do NOT tell the Xbox to allow the receiver to decode the audio.

There is audio lag when playing games with this setup.

If I tell the Xbox to allow the receiver to decode blu-ray audio and the audio is being output through HDMI, the audio plays but the blu-ray picture freezes. I don’t believe this is an issue with the tv or Sonos because i can still move through the pop-up
    menus with the picture frozen in the background and the sound playing.

If I disable the HDMI audio and use the Xbox’s optical output directly, it works as per the previous (blu-rays fine, games lagging).
  3. napalm 31337 Win User

Thanks, I just tried the direct connection and it's exactly the same as when it's going through the TV, no difference at all.
    Ok, this in some way is a good news, perhaps we know that the problem isn't in your TV at the moment, must be something in the sound processing with the Sonos Playbase, have you tried to contact Sonos support? or searched for info/news in their site?

There is any firmware update for the Sonos? I think you must investigate in this way at the moment.
  4. Mikeysoonerfan Win User

Is it possible that your are processing the signal twice? First at the xbox then at the Sonos play base? (Not familiar with Sonos) The TV would act more of a pass through. If the signal is being processed twice it would cause a lag.
  5. napalm 31337 Win User

Have you tried to connect the console directly to your Sonos Playbase? as a test, because if a direct connection works well in every scenario and with every setting, maybe the problem is the TV in the middle.
  6. TheMatia003 Win User

I've just been doing a bit of research and this would make sense. I found a Sonos support page that
    mentions that Sonos doesn't support DTS which would be why that option doesn't produce sound, and briefly mentions using bitstream. I think it would be reasonable to assume that the Sonos kit is processing the signal, especially as the lag doesn't exist when
    I specifically tell the Xbox to allow the audio receiver to decode the sound for blu-rays (and therefore not do the job itself).

Sonos kit is pretty light on the settings as they like it to be "simple" to set up, but this means the only option if I want to have surround sound is to tell the Xbox to allow the audio receiver to decode all sounds (not just blu-ray). I don't suppose such
    an option exists?
Thema:

1. Bitstream audio lag on Xbox One X (but not for blu-rays) - Similar Threads - Bitstream audio lag

2. Xbox One X Audio settings - stereo uncompressed or bitstream

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox One X Audio settings - stereo uncompressed or bitstream: Hi, apologies I'm not particularly well versed in regards to stereo uncompressed and bitstream. My setup is Xbox one x > LG 4k TV > Yamaha YAS-207 Soundbar. All via HDMI (with arc). My audio...
  3. Audio bitstreaming on Xbox One X - WHICH APPS support this?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Audio bitstreaming on Xbox One X - WHICH APPS support this?: I have an older Xbox One, I use for gaming, AND streaming Netflix, Amazon Prime, Media player and Plex for my videos and Audio. One MAJOR ISSUE, is that Xbox One does NOT send the Audio to my...
  4. When will the XBOX ONE bitstream DTS-HD Master Audio and Dolby TrueHD lossless formats?

in XBoX on Consoles
    When will the XBOX ONE bitstream DTS-HD Master Audio and Dolby TrueHD lossless formats?: When will the XBOX ONE bitstream DTS-HD Master Audio and Dolby TrueHD lossless formats? Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD signals not sent to reciever d6e53a54-a891-48af-9d41-cf336131c1eb
  5. Audio output changes from bitstream to stereo

in XBoX on Consoles
    Audio output changes from bitstream to stereo: I got my One S hooked up to Marantz AV-receiver with Atmos support. If I set audio output to HDMI, bitstream, and Atmos the sound works as it's supposed to. Problem is, every now and then Xbox...
  6. Mono audio from rear surround speakers. Bitstream Dolby Audio issue

in XBoX on Consoles
    Mono audio from rear surround speakers. Bitstream Dolby Audio issue: So I've been testing a series of audio options for my Xbox one x and have been getting more and more confused. First my set up. Xbox One > HDMI IN "HW-MS650 Samsung Soundbar (with wireless...
  7. Media Player App BITSTREAM audio update???

in XBoX on Consoles
    Media Player App BITSTREAM audio update???: Dear Xbox One S staff, would you please state once and 4 all whether you are planning on bringing the BITSTREAM audio option to the Media Player app or not? Whole AV community at various forums...
  8. Dolby true HD or DTS Master HD audio bitstream

in XBoX on Consoles
    Dolby true HD or DTS Master HD audio bitstream: will XBox One X support Dolby true HD or DTS Master HD audio bitstream select along with pass through? f3114be9-fcff-4f52-93b1-12f0b5e60003
  9. Bitstream pass-through causing a delay in audio when resuming a bluray disc

in XBoX on Consoles
    Bitstream pass-through causing a delay in audio when resuming a bluray disc: Hi team, Having a Dolby Atmos supported surround sound system I was waiting for months for XBOX to finally release the update, now it's here and it's not perfect (or at least not to me). When I...
  10. XBOX ONE bitstream DTS-HD Master Audio and Dolby TrueHD lossless formats?

in XBoX on Consoles
    XBOX ONE bitstream DTS-HD Master Audio and Dolby TrueHD lossless formats?: WEll i read the old thread just borrowed the headline some one talked about not getting Blu Ray lossless audio via HDMI if you Connect an Optical audio Cable between the Xbox One and receiver...