Blu-Ray Player App does not play 4K HDR Movie on my 4K only TV

Discus and support Blu-Ray Player App does not play 4K HDR Movie on my 4K only TV in XBoX Games and Apps to solve the problem; Given: TV: Samsung UN65HU8550F Movie: Batman v Superman Dawn of Justice (4K Ultra HD featuring HDR) My TV supports 4K but it does not support... Discussion in 'XBoX Games and Apps' started by BooYaaDog, Nov 18, 2016.

1. BooYaaDog
    BooYaaDog Guest

Given:

TV: Samsung UN65HU8550F

Movie: Batman v Superman Dawn of Justice (4K Ultra HD featuring HDR)

My TV supports 4K but it does not support HDR. (I bought it about two years ago. Only recently made TVs are offered with HDR support.)

I would assume the movie would play in 4K but not in HDR (understandably). Sadly, the Blu-Ray Player app plays the movie in HD (1920x1080). Before playing the movie, I do get a blue screen with white letters stating:

"For optimal picture quality, connect your 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Player to a Television that supports 4K Ultra HD with High Dynamic Range (HDR)"

This suggests that I would need to upgrade to a TV that supports both 4K and HDR. Shouldn't I just be able to play this movie in 4K sans HDR?

My Xbox One S is directly connected to my TV with the HDMI cable that came bundled with the console. I've set the Xbox resolution to 4K which I verified (by hitting the "Info" button" on my TV remote. Resolution = 3840x2160 60p). My Xbox has the latest
    update. the Blu-ray Player app has been updated as well.

Settings > All settings > Display & Sound > Video Output:

TV Resolution: 4K UHD

TV Connection: Auto-detect

The Xbox does correctly identify my TV in that it supports 4K UHD (60Hz), but it does not support HDR10 video.

Thoughts, Comments, Suggestions?

Thanks

:)

BooYaaDog, Nov 18, 2016
  2. BooYaaDog
    BooYaaDog Guest

Given:

TV: Samsung UN65HU8550F

Movie: Batman v Superman Dawn of Justice (4K Ultra HD featuring HDR)

My TV supports 4K but it does not support HDR. (I bought it about two years ago. Only recently made TVs are offered with HDR support.)

I would assume the movie would play in 4K but not in HDR (understandably). Sadly, the Blu-Ray Player app plays the movie in HD (1920x1080). Before playing the movie, I do get a blue screen with white letters stating:

"For optimal picture quality, connect your 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Player to a Television that supports 4K Ultra HD with High Dynamic Range (HDR)"

This suggests that I would need to upgrade to a TV that supports both 4K and HDR. Shouldn't I just be able to play this movie in 4K sans HDR?

My Xbox One S is directly connected to my TV with the HDMI cable that came bundled with the console. I've set the Xbox resolution to 4K which I verified (by hitting the "Info" button" on my TV remote. Resolution = 3840x2160 60p). My Xbox has the latest
    update. the Blu-ray Player app has been updated as well.

Settings > All settings > Display & Sound > Video Output:

TV Resolution: 4K UHD

TV Connection: Auto-detect

The Xbox does correctly identify my TV in that it supports 4K UHD (60Hz), but it does not support HDR10 video.

Thoughts, Comments, Suggestions?

Thanks

BooYaaDog, Nov 18, 2016
  3. COTY26
    COTY26 Guest
    4k Blu ray playback

My tv is 4k but does not support hdr. However my one x still displays games and everything at 4k, but when I play a UHD blu ray it will only playback at 1080p. What am I missing? I hope the Xs blu ray app is smart enough to play at 4k with hdr disabled.

COTY26, Nov 18, 2016
  4. Spyderz Win User

Xbox ONE vs Stand alone Blu Ray!

xbox one "will" support 4k blu-rays in the future. They just haven't announced it when it will. So if you buy 4k blu ray movies they will not play yet on the xbox one. as with standard blu rays I find it only noticeable on larger blu ray tvs. I have
    a 4k 70in tv, the only way I can currently see blu ray formatted shows is on the built in apps in the tv. Mainly Netflix.
  5. TheDecn Win User

Netflix: No UHD on XBOX One S

I can verify this issue...Netflix UHD does not work on Xbox One S. I have a Vizio M55-D0 with the latest firmware enabling HD10 support. My TV is now recognized by the One S video settings as 4K HDR capable. I am able to enable HDR support and it works beautifully
    with the Blu-Ray app (Mad Max 4K Blu Ray playing 4K, 24fps, HDR as verified by the Vizio settings app). However when I start Netflix, the screen flashes, colors mute, and video fails to switch to HDR or 24fps. Netflix app is clearly broken right now for HDR.
    If I switch HDR off on the One S, Netflix app is fine, plays 4K correctly, colors are fine obviously no HDR.
  6. brandiesel1 Win User

XBOX SLIM 2TB NO GAMES BUNDLE ON DAY 1 APART FROM MIROSOFT DEALS ?

This console will sell to a lot of non gamers because of the blu-ray and 4k, and HDR. The real movie buffs might be interested as it's a class blu-ray player with a great price.
  7. Drogoenite Win User

Blu-ray app isn't working properly. No video, but sound and interface is present

Edit: I'm not sure if it is related but who creates/updates the Blu-ray App? I just noticed whenever I insert a 4K UHD Blu-ray movie and open the app, the resolution on my TV becomes 1080p (1920x1080). And when I insert the standard disc of the same movie,
    the resolution of my TV stays at 4K (3840x2160). I tried this with Mad Max: Fury Road, Batman vs. Superman, and Deadpool. Is there a way to force the Blu-ray App to stay in 4K (3840x2160) resolution.
  8. MarsNeedsTacos Win User

Xbox One X 4k player Issues on TCL 55P6US

Are you playing these movies from a 4k UHD Blu Ray or streaming service? If from disk, have you updated the Blu Ray player app on the Xbox?
Thema:

1. Blu-Ray Player App does not play 4K HDR Movie on my 4K only TV - Similar Threads - Blu Ray Player

2. Blu-Ray Player Error code (0x91d7000a)

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Blu-Ray Player Error code (0x91d7000a): Recently my Xbox ones bluray player has quit working. It comes up with this message: Disc Stopped. Make sure your TVs HDMI input supports HDCP rights management. If not try plugging your Xbox into...
  3. Blu-Ray player app regularly taking too long to start

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Blu-Ray player app regularly taking too long to start: I keep getting problems with the Blu Ray player app on our X-Box One X. We were watching a DVD on Sunday and it was fine. Stopped it part-way through to finish watching it the next day. The DVD...
  4. Blu ray player with audio in the movie

in XBoX on Consoles
    Blu ray player with audio in the movie: Hello I having a major while playing any DVD or blu ray dis,only occurs in the movie itself,previews & others things r fine with audio until movie starts,checked my settings & even contacted xbox...
  5. Xbox One Blu Ray Player

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Xbox One Blu Ray Player: It would be great if we could standardize video controls across multiple video related apps, especially the Xbox blu ray player. The controls are extremely awkward vs most popular streaming video...
  6. Blu-Ray player app totally broken for 3D discs now?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Blu-Ray player app totally broken for 3D discs now?: All of the sudden my xbox one is having massive problems reading 3d blurays (sometimes it gets past the menu and freezes, sometimes it just locks. Testes the discs is a standalone 3d player i no...
  7. Blu-Ray player fragmenting/Skipping

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Blu-Ray player fragmenting/Skipping: Hi guys looking for some help Was watching Mary Poppings Returns last night with the Kids and at around the 1hr 10min mark the picture starts fragmenting/skipping/freezing and all round generally...
  8. Today (April 29th's) Blu-Ray Player Update does not allow me to play discs anymore

in XBoX on Consoles
    Today (April 29th's) Blu-Ray Player Update does not allow me to play discs anymore: I get an error message saying that I need to use another input because of HDCP rights management or some BS; I've never had this issue before on my XBOX One X. I've tried multiple movies and it...
  9. 4k blu ray player 0x91d70001

in XBoX Games and Apps
    4k blu ray player 0x91d70001: I bought a 4k disc of batman v superman dawn of justice and the disc isnt playing and i get that error message. We cant play this disc. Try another one... i called the support and also did ALL of...
  10. Xbox One X Blu-Ray Player App not working

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox One X Blu-Ray Player App not working: Hi, For the past week, I've been trying to watching movies on my Xbox One X. I got a new 4K TV and streaming works just fine. However, when I put a Blu-Ray Disk in, the app opens and takes too...