Browse to a folder for sharing on media player

Discus and support Browse to a folder for sharing on media player in XBoX Games and Apps to solve the problem; Anyone know how to add a non-standard folder for sharing for media player? At the moment I can only see Music, video, pictures, but I want to add my C... Discussion in 'XBoX Games and Apps' started by Sargey, Nov 12, 2014.

1. Sargey
    Sargey Guest

Anyone know how to add a non-standard folder for sharing for media player?

At the moment I can only see Music, video, pictures, but I want to add my C drive (for example) so that I can browse the whole of my c drive. Or another drive letter where all my media is stored.

Any ideas?

:)

Sargey, Nov 12, 2014
  2. XBox can't see PCs

That sticky is all about sharing from Windows Media Player, which isn't my issue.

Anyway, just in case some obscure thing relates the two, I have started the "Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service" on my XP machine. The link the XBox suggests (xbox.com/pcsetup) redirects to a page which implies this isn't possible from Windows
    XP, or WHS - because the versions of Windows Media Player I can run don't support it.

That's why it was easier to browse to the file than to try & get Windows Media Player to stream it.

So again, what happened to the ability for an XBox to find a shared folder on the network and e.g. show the photos?

If you (corporately) have simply decided that we must all upgrade then just say so. I won't like it, but I'll stop wasting my time, go looking for a different media extender, and let my son's use their XBox somewhere else.

Peter Parslow, Nov 12, 2014
  3. Kiesey
    Kiesey Guest
    Streaming Media from your PC to your Xbox 360

Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

What if I use Windows XP? How does media streaming work with that?

Not a problem! Let’s look at how we can stream with Windows XP!

If you are trying to setup Media Center with Xp it would have to be Windows Xp Media Center Edition 2005.

First thing you are going to want to do is make sure your computer is up to date Click the Start button, click All Programs, and then click Windows Update. It should find any available updates that are available for your

Windows XP machine.

Next you are going to want to hit Start > Network Connections then right click on your current network connection. Make sure File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks is selected. Then go back to your Network Connections
    screen and on the left hand side go to My Network places. Under Network Tasks select Show Icons for Networked UPNP Devices. If it says Hide Icons for Network UPNP devices then this wizard has already been run and you can close that window.

Next you will want to determine what version of Windows Media Player you are using. To do this, click about on the help menu in Windows Media Player and note the version number below the copyright notice. If the help menu is not
    displayed hit Alt + H and then click about. If you are not running Windows Media player 11 you can go to
    http://www.xbox.com/en-US/pcsetup. This will bring you to the Xbox 360 Media
    Download Center. You will want to click on Windows XP and then scroll down until you see Windows Media Player 11. Step 1 is download Windows Media Player software. You will want to download and run that to install Windows Media Player 11. When you have downloaded
    and installed Windows Media Player 11, you will want to click on the library and go to media sharing. Click on the share my media and it should show your Xbox 360. You will want to make sure it is set to allowed.

Next hit your Windows button and R button at the same time to bring up your Run command and type services.msc and hit enter. That will bring up your services you will want to double click on each one and want to make sure the
    start up type and service status for each are set as follows:

Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

• Fast User Switching Compatibility: Started\automatic
    • HTTP SSL: Started\Automatic
    • Internet Connection Sharing Service: Disabled\Stopped
    • Network List Service: Started\Automatic
    • Quality Windows Audio Video Experience: Started\Automatic
    • SSDP discovery Service: Started\Automatic
    • UPnP (Universal Plug and Play) Device Host: Started\Automatic
    • Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service: Stated\Automatic
    • Zune Network Sharing Service: Started\Automatic

To add folders for Media Connect, go to the “Organize” drop down in Windows Media Player, select "Manage Libraries" then select the library to which you'd like to add a folder to. Next, click the "Add" button to browse for a folder
    and add it to your Windows Media Player library. You can select a folder on your local computer or networked location like another computer in your homegroup. When you've chosen your folder, click the "Include folder" button and select "OK." It may take a
    few minutes for Windows to add and index the folder if it contains a lot of files. You've now added a folder and all its media files to your Windows Media Player 12 library. Continue to repeat the process to add more folders to your Media Player libraries.

To set up Windows Media Center, load up media center on the Xbox 360 console. It will give you a set up key if the setup had not already been completed. If a setup key is provided, take the setup key from the console to the Windows
    7 PC and run set up for media center. If it hasn’t been completed you will not be asked for a setup key and you can attempt to stream your media.

Kiesey, Nov 12, 2014
  4. Timekill X Win User

External Hard Drives

the easiest method is to set up a shared folder with windows media player on your PC, and stream your media wired or wireless to you xbox360. any media in the shared folder your xbox will see. movie files should be in the format Divxx/Xvid/ or WMV or H.264
  5. Liquatic Win User

File Sharing

The best way to share files is through Windows Media Player or Windows Media Center. I personally set up a library on Windows Media Player and then sync it to my network, which my Xbox 360 is connected to. This way it will play only what is in your library
    and not just the C: folder.
  6. sc0ttw-30C54378-94AB Win User

XBOX ONE Media Player no longer finds music on network

Further Info. PC running Windows 7 Home Premium. Music folder is shared the same as pictures and video folders. I am able to use play to feature on windows media player on pc to play music on the xbox one.
  7. Peter Parslow Win User

XBox can't see PCs

That sticky is all about sharing from Windows Media Player, which isn't my issue.

Anyway, just in case some obscure thing relates the two, I have started the "Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service" on my XP machine. The link the XBox suggests (xbox.com/pcsetup) redirects to a page which implies this isn't possible from Windows
    XP, or WHS - because the versions of Windows Media Player I can run don't support it.

That's why it was easier to browse to the file than to try & get Windows Media Player to stream it.

So again, what happened to the ability for an XBox to find a shared folder on the network and e.g. show the photos?

If you (corporately) have simply decided that we must all upgrade then just say so. I won't like it, but I'll stop wasting my time, go looking for a different media extender, and let my son's use their XBox somewhere else.
  8. ArminatorX Win User

how do i set up windows media center so i can connect my xbox 360 to my windows 10 pc

While you can't use Media Center with Windows 10 (as Windows 10 doesn't have Media Center anymore), you can still stream music, videos and pictures to your Xbox 360 via DLNA.

To set that up, start the Windows Media Player on your Windows 10 PC, and make sure the Media Player has access to your media files. Usually, Media Player looks for that under "Users\[YOUR USERNAME HERE]\[Pictures | Music | Videos]"

If you use different folders or drives for your media library, you need to add those folders and drives to the Media Player's library.

If your media shows up in the Media Player window, you need to turn on Media Sharing on the Windows 10 PC.

Open the start menu, and type "Control" to find the Control Panel.

In the Control Panel, type in the upper right corner "Media"

Under "Network and Sharing Center" should be a link to the "Media Streaming Options".

If necessary, enable Media Streaming and make sure your Xbox 360 is running.

You should then see the Xbox 360 in the list of available devices. Allow the Xbox 360 to access your PC's Media Library.

Now, on your Xbox 360, start the Music Player, Photo Viewer or Video player, and as source choose your PC from the list.

You should then see the media that your PC shares to your local network.
Thema:

1. Browse to a folder for sharing on media player - Similar Threads - Browse folder sharing

2. This just popped up while browsing google chrome.

in XboX Insiders
    This just popped up while browsing google chrome.: [IMG] submitted by /u/Mister-Icefyre [link] [comments]
  3. I have just started haveing a issue in the store and went down to where it says browse app...

in XboX Insiders
    I have just started haveing a issue in the store and went down to where it says browse app...: [IMG] submitted by /u/EmergedJokerd [link] [comments]
  4. Missing "Browse Apps" on xbox 360 dashboard.

in XBoX on Consoles
    Missing "Browse Apps" on xbox 360 dashboard.: Trying to download netflix but on my dashboard, it only shows the options "Home" , "Social", "Games & Apps" and "Settings". bf7638d8-cc97-464c-8319-9bbec2bd2b20
  5. For some odd reason it says I'm 'Browsing games in Rainbow Six Siege' when I'm offline.

in XBoX Games and Apps
    For some odd reason it says I'm 'Browsing games in Rainbow Six Siege' when I'm offline.: This also happens when I appear offline,I'm at my homescreen,my Xbox is off,my Xbox is restarting,and when my internet is fully disconnected from the power cord. I'm at a dead end on what to do...
  6. New Browse for Help Quest not working

in XboX Insiders
    New Browse for Help Quest not working: I see this new quest in my Insider hub today. I try to go the web page it specifies and it says "Look away you must be an XBox Insider" even though I am signed in with my Insider account....
  7. FH4 doesnt let me browse tunes and says that it is permitted in parental guide settings

in XBoX Games and Apps
    FH4 doesnt let me browse tunes and says that it is permitted in parental guide settings: cant use any of the online tunes since FH4 asks to check parental settings. This is very strange since it was all good about a week ago. Also my account is set as adult not child....
  8. Xbox One very slow/pausing when browsing installed games

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox One very slow/pausing when browsing installed games: I have 2 Xbox One Xs. My older Scorpio edition can browse games and apps folder with no issues. My newer, white X1X is very laggy, or even just freezes in the Games and Apps. I have clean...
  9. Can’t browse

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Can’t browse: can not browse to any web site 6e2148ca-af50-4370-9ad6-253b8a1e27a6
  10. In private browsing

in XBoX Games and Apps
    In private browsing: Hi, How do I stop, delete or turn off the "In Private" browsing because I can't see the history "if" my child uses it. He can use the internet on xbox one, i just don't want him to have access...