Can a disc based Xbox One game be repurchased as digital without reinstalling the whole game?

Discus and support Can a disc based Xbox One game be repurchased as digital without reinstalling the whole game? in XBoX Games and Apps to solve the problem; Hello Everyone, This is a bit of a weird ask, I know, and I've seen a couple of simelar posts that ask the same sort of question, but I don't think a... Discussion in 'XBoX Games and Apps' started by TJLewis, Jun 29, 2020.

1. TJLewis
    TJLewis Guest

Can a disc based Xbox One game be repurchased as digital without reinstalling the whole game?

Hello Everyone,

This is a bit of a weird ask, I know, and I've seen a couple of simelar posts that ask the same sort of question, but I don't think a definitive conclusion was ever reached.

Here's the story:

I purchased Trials Fusion The Awesome Max Edition as a disc based Xbox One game a few years ago. This game is completely installed on my Xbox One right now. Unfortunately, and as a result of an act of dog, the disc has become damaged and unplayable (that
    is... I'm too scared to try putting it back into the console in the condition it's in now).

What I want to know is, if I were to go to the Microsoft Store and repurchase this game in its digital version (which I'm perfectly happy to do), could I then continue to play Trails Fusion with the installation that's on my Xbox One, or would I have to
    delete the installation and redownload everything after purchasing digital?

If anyone has had anything like this happen / has ever tried this, could they let me know how it worked out?

Thanks.

PS: Have just discovered that the Microsoft Store considers that I already own this game, so I guess I don't need to repurchase it (Yay!).

:)

TJLewis, Jun 29, 2020
  2. luissolid Win User

Hello just to clarify... When you install a game from a retail disc or digital they use the same file. So for example a friend take his game (disc) and install on your console, then you purchase the game from the xbox store and you dont need to download
    the game again.

Regards!
  3. Smwutches Win User

If you do have to do this in the future, no, you wouldn't have to uninstall and then reinstall the game. You may have a small install for a license or something though.
  4. TJLewis Win User

Thanks Smwutches and luissolid,

I'll give it a go now.

Guess the moral of the story here is, put your game discs away securly (and where neighbour's curious pets can't get at them) when you're finished with them.
  5. XBF Leo G Win User

Hi TJLewis,

Thank you for posting on the Xbox forums. Since the question has been answered, I will go ahead and lock this thread. Feel free to come back anytime
    if you have a question or issue. We will be more than happy to answer any questions and provide solutions. Thank you again and have a good day
    TJLewis!
  6. claremorgan Win User

Minecraft Xbox One Edition Update

How do I update my disc version without repurchasing the whole game?
    Sonic
Thema:

1. Can a disc based Xbox One game be repurchased as digital without reinstalling the whole game? - Similar Threads - disc based game

2. Selling xbox 360 and disc based games for another console

in XBoX Sales and Promo
    Selling xbox 360 and disc based games for another console: Christmas is coming. I want an xbox one. I will sell my xbox 360S 250 GB , 23 based dicsc game titles that includes the latest battlefield and call of duty titles. 4-6 xbox controllers (5...
  3. Update Problem: Disc Based Games Not Loading Since Dashboard Update

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Update Problem: Disc Based Games Not Loading Since Dashboard Update: Since the most recent dashboard update, when I put in certain discs won't read or start (whether they are installed currently or I'm trying to reinstall them). Can I get some help please? Thanks....
  4. Xbox one X cant read disc-based games

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Xbox one X cant read disc-based games: My xbox one X wont read any disc based games. I had a original xbox one and i got a X for christmas. But when i put the disc in nothing happens. I did a network game transfer from my old to new...
  5. Is internet required to install disc based Xbox original/360 games on Xbox one

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Is internet required to install disc based Xbox original/360 games on Xbox one: I have been searching over the support forums and a few other places, and I cant seem to find a direct answer to my question If you have the disc for the game, do either Xbox original or Xbox 360...
  6. Why won't my disc based game install?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Why won't my disc based game install?: Topic. I accidentally uninstalled the game last week because I needed space to install something else, I'm trying to reinstall it and it keeps throwing up errors.. My external 2 TB hard drive...
  7. Borrowing disc based games

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Borrowing disc based games: Hello! I just borrowed a disc based game from a friend and was wondering, when I return the game and want to buy a copy for myself, do I have to get a disc copy or can I digitally purchase it...
  8. hi i have got a problem regarding instalment of a disc based game

in XBoX Games and Apps
    hi i have got a problem regarding instalment of a disc based game: to describe my problem. i am trying to install a game but the install progress comes to a halt and stopps completley at around 2% i have tried the steps suggested by the regular support page and...
  9. Installing Disc Based Game Updates With Console Turned OFF

in XBoX on Consoles
    Installing Disc Based Game Updates With Console Turned OFF: Hello i have a disc for halo 5 that is fully installed , but it needs a 56 gig update , can i install a update on a disc based game while my console is turned off , i know that when you buy a game...
  10. Why does my xbox one s change picture quality on startup of disc based games? I have a 4K UHD ...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why does my xbox one s change picture quality on startup of disc based games? I have a 4K UHD ...: I need help because games like forza horizon 3 and gears of war 4 are degrading the picture quality. It only affects disc based games at the moment. The colours do not look good at all. Even when...