Can an antagonist ever be a likeable character or in the right? (Why GLaDOS is the best...

Discus and support Can an antagonist ever be a likeable character or in the right? (Why GLaDOS is the best... in XBoX Games and Apps to solve the problem; Many games have an antagonist you just cannot stand. You just want to get to the end where you'll have to option to challenge them or overthrow them.... Discussion in 'XBoX Games and Apps' started by Ellarianora, Oct 6, 2019.

1. Ellarianora
    Ellarianora Guest

Can an antagonist ever be a likeable character or in the right? (Why GLaDOS is the best...

Many games have an antagonist you just cannot stand. You just want to get to the end where you'll have to option to challenge them or overthrow them. These antagonists aim to throw you off course, taunt you and honestly just rile you up. However, that isn't
    always the case. Some antagonists are actually really likeable characters, although they're meant to be hated by the player or even just the character, these antagonists have you questioning whether they really are the antagonist. Some games even take the
    extent of eventually making the antagonist become the protagonist. For example; GLaDOS. GLaDOS is the main antagonist of the Portal series. In Portal 1, she does nothing but terrorise you so in the end, when you defeat her, you somewhat feel accomplished.
    (More because she lied to you about cake Can an antagonist ever be a likeable character or in the right? (Why GLaDOS is the best... :( ) But in Portal 2, GLaDOS is reawakened and although she remains the antagonist for the first part of the game, she feels a lot less antagonistic and her witty humour is fantastic so you just can't help but laugh
    with her whilst she laughs at you. However, the game takes a turn for the worst and GLaDOS is overthrown by a new antagonist, making her nothing but an insignificant potato battery. She can't hurt you as she lacks the parts and only has 1.1 volts to keep her
    working. As you progress further into the game, you are accompanied by said Potato Battery and both you and GLaDOS work together to put her back in control. Might sound a little odd trying to help the antagonist take control again but at this point, GLaDOS
    is completely different. You reminisce about her past with her and this is when strangely you and GLaDOS become friends. She gains control and she apologises to you; the player who's she's terrorised her entire existence. However, this has turned into a Portal
    review so I do apologise for that lol

Back to the main question; is there an antagonist you particularly like, feel what they are doing to be 'antagonistic' is for the better or just like them for them?

:)

Ellarianora, Oct 6, 2019
  2. XS1CkSk1LLZX94 Win User

Can an antagonist ever be a likeable character or in the right? (Why GLaDOS is the best antagonist to date)

Fair points there, good response!
  3. NiteTimeOwl3533 Win User

Can an antagonist ever be a likeable character or in the right? (Why GLaDOS is the best antagonist to date)

Handsome Jack was the kind of guy you loved to hate.
  4. AridLizard Win User

Handsome Jack in Borderlands2 is great.

I can listen to him insult and threaten me all day. his script writer and voice actor deserve a medal.

another great antagonist is Pagan Min from Far Cry 4.
  5. Geth Win User

I believe they can. Saren was an antagonist in Mass Effect: 1

But he wasn't actually a bad person. He was just trying to save the galaxy by submitting instead of fighting.
  6. NiteTimeOwl3533 Win User

Incredible game with a fitting end to the story. Great post.
Thema:

1. Can an antagonist ever be a likeable character or in the right? (Why GLaDOS is the best... - Similar Threads - antagonist ever likeable

2. Mic icon with line through it. Did this ever get resolved?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Mic icon with line through it. Did this ever get resolved?: My son's xbox is showing the mic icon with a line through it. I do see that this is a common problem, but can't seem to find the fix that actually works. We have tried all the recommended...
  3. Gears of Wars Ultimate Edition Red and Black Screen...Was this ever fixed? The fix...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Gears of Wars Ultimate Edition Red and Black Screen...Was this ever fixed? The fix...: When playing Gears of War Ultimate Edition, once the campaign gets past the cut screen opening...all the levels are a red and black glitched screen. The fix from the thread on Oct. 2018 does not...
  4. Does anybody know if error 0x80bd0009 ever plans to get fixed

in XboX Insiders
    Does anybody know if error 0x80bd0009 ever plans to get fixed: This error completely ruins the joy of buying a 5.1 and surround system because at 4K resolution it refuses to allow you to change audio output format. Any help on this please. submitted by...
  5. Exclusive content ever going to happen for Xbox players????

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Exclusive content ever going to happen for Xbox players????: The reason that other platforms will only get the exclusive mode a year later is because the developer has an exclusivity deal with PS to add to their platform first. Not ideal for other platforms...
  6. Ever since I was in the insider program, my Xbox has had a lot of issues and errors.

in XboX Insiders
    Ever since I was in the insider program, my Xbox has had a lot of issues and errors.: I used to be in the insider program. I was enjoying it until on occasion when I tried to start up my Xbox One X, it gave me a “something went wrong” screen with system error codes. I believe it...
  7. I cannot buy Kinect Sports Rivals DLCs ever again due to an error.

in XBoX Games and Apps
    I cannot buy Kinect Sports Rivals DLCs ever again due to an error.: [img] Based on the outcome, I cannot buy DLCs for Kinect Sports Rivals anymore. Everytime I try to accept the purchase, the Microsoft Store is intentionally refusing to take it because it knows I...
  8. How come xbox has these problems ever day were you can't talk in party chat

in XBoX on Consoles
    How come xbox has these problems ever day were you can't talk in party chat: I can't even talk to my friends and play a simple game every single day it's like this I'll even restart the console yet nothing helps 01ea6f26-7a7b-4991-9674-e46890fa7f53
  9. What was the best or worst quote from a video game you've ever heard ?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    What was the best or worst quote from a video game you've ever heard ?: This is one of my all time favorites... [img] e8d6ebc9-f83a-49ee-a267-35165f9bb21d
  10. Antagonist or "Bad Guys" in games who aren't actually bad?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Antagonist or "Bad Guys" in games who aren't actually bad?: Sometimes we play games where the people who we are fighting are just evil for the sake of being evil. But occasionally we will run into a so called villain who actually isn't a horrible person....