Can I use the same external drive on more than one xbox?

Discus and support Can I use the same external drive on more than one xbox? in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; I have an Xbox One and an Xbox One X and sometimes I play on one streaming to my laptop and my son plays the other on the TV. I would like to use one... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by MajorBloodn0k, May 23, 2020 at 10:13 AM.

1. Can I use the same external drive on more than one xbox?

I have an Xbox One and an Xbox One X and sometimes I play on one streaming to my laptop and my son plays the other on the TV. I would like to use one external drive to play games on each device. Meaning when I'm playing on the Xbox One X and decide to
    move to my laptop and the Xbox One I would like to unplug the external storage with my games and plug it into the other Xbox with no issues.

Is this possible?

:)

MajorBloodn0k, May 23, 2020 at 10:13 AM
  2. KarimAndSonz Win User

You can but to access the game on the drive means the second xbox must have your profile on it
  3. XBF Crystal P Win User

How many USB ports with the XBOX 1 X read? and how big a external HD can I use for movies on the XBOX1 X?

Hi there Frank!

Thanks for the reply. The requirements for an external storage drive:

• It uses a USB 3.0 connection. If you’re using a USB hub, the hub must also be USB 3.0 or later.
    • It has 256 GB or larger storage capacity.
    • It has a partition. Typically, drives come wit a preformatted partition. For more information about partitioning an external hard drive, refer to the manufacturer’s instructions.
    • No more than three storage devices are connected to the console at the same time.
    The best troubleshooting resource is the one provided by XBF Chris :
    Troubleshoot external storage detection on Xbox One.

If the problem persists, try checking out the support forum for the manufacturer of the external drive for more assistance. Another step you can try is using a different USB cable for the external hard drive.

Hope this helps.
  4. Mistress Sara Win User

How many hard drives

Hi there,

According to
    this page
    "no more than three external drives can be connected to the console at the same time."
  5. rocky619619 Win User

Xbox one wont recognize external hard dirve

Seems to me that it is a problem with either the drive itself or the cable connecting the drive to the console.

If you have another external drive handy, try using the cable from your xbox external drive and see if it can connect to a computer or laptop. If it can, then its more than likely a problem with your external drive.

Alternatively, you could test your external drive on another xbox one console.
  6. eG x Thee Elf Win User

Hard Drive space

andham1,

You can indeed use two USB external drives at a time but no more than two with each external drive having a max of 2TB. This means you could essentially have 4TB of space using external drives.
Thema:

1. Can I use the same external drive on more than one xbox? - Similar Threads - same external drive

2. Redeeming a code region error, while being in the same region.

in XBoX on Windows
    Redeeming a code region error, while being in the same region.: Greetings, So yesterday I've purchased a game as a gift for a friend. We live a few blocks away from each other and I've decided to make a little gift. All was great until the region blocked...
  3. 2 versions of the same game not displaying

in XboX Insiders
    2 versions of the same game not displaying: I was browsing my achievement list today and noticed the xbox one version of gta5 is in my achievement list but the 360 version is not. I've noticed this for a couple other games that are on both...
  4. Can I stream to my laptop that isn't on the same WiFi using the console streaming app?

in XboX Insiders
    Can I stream to my laptop that isn't on the same WiFi using the console streaming app?: I have got the facilities to stream my Xbox to my android phone, only problem is the screen is so small, would it be possible to achieving the game streaming on a laptop? And if so would I need to...
  5. Xbox one and Surface Pro 4 will not stay connected to wifi at the same time.

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox one and Surface Pro 4 will not stay connected to wifi at the same time.: My surface pro 4 and my xbox one wont stay connected to my internet at the same time. Every time I connect with my surface it kicks my xbox off my internet and vice versa giving me an error...
  6. Do I need to buy two copies of the same game

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Do I need to buy two copies of the same game: I know this is going to sound stupid so please bare with me as I am not a gamer. My children both now have Xbox 1 s consoles however one has the disk and the other (newer one) has the digital...
  7. two gamepass ultimate accounts on pc + xbox one on same network, cannot create and join ARK...

in XBoX on Windows
    two gamepass ultimate accounts on pc + xbox one on same network, cannot create and join ARK...: so I have my xbox one set up using one gametag with gamepass ultimate and PC with a separate gamertag with gamepass ultimate. I then start a non-dedicated server on the pc and start the game i...
  8. If I have the same XBox One game saved to multiple external drives, how can I tell which...

in XBoX on Consoles
    If I have the same XBox One game saved to multiple external drives, how can I tell which...: Hi all, This may seem like a weird question, but let me explain: I split my time between two physical locations (houses) and have an XBox One console at each. I also have a 5TB external HDD on...
  9. Impossible to connect Wifi AND External hard drive at the same time $?!?!$

in XBoX on Consoles
    Impossible to connect Wifi AND External hard drive at the same time $?!?!$: Hi, I have buy an external hard drive and put it on my Xbox One S but when it's connect to, i can't connect my WiFi.. I have try with two different hot spots (my router and my 4g smartphone) but...
  10. Same External Hard Drive for One and 360

in XBoX on Consoles
    Same External Hard Drive for One and 360: I was wondering if someone could tell me if I could use the same external hard drive I'm using for my Xbox one on my Xbox 360? I don't want to plug it into my 360, format it, then plug it back...