Can Xbox Controller get virus through Windows?

Discus and support Can Xbox Controller get virus through Windows? in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; * Duplicate of Windows 11 Virus and Xbox One Controller connected - can it infect controller? Hello! I would want to know if it is any possibility to... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by LeokiM32, Sep 21, 2022.

1. LeokiM32
    LeokiM32 Guest

* Duplicate of Windows 11 Virus and Xbox One Controller connected - can it infect controller?

Hello! I would want to know if it is any possibility to get virus on the Xbox One Controller through USB connected to infected Windows system? I didn't know that I had virus on the Windows, and I plugged the controller to it. I know that Xbox One is updating, so I assume there is a risk for catch virus on it? Can it spread virus on other devices then? Or it's a little risk for that? Can someone explain it to me?

I'm sorry if I did put question in the wrong place...

* Moved from Virus & Malware

:)

LeokiM32, Sep 21, 2022
  2. DaveM121 Win User

Hi LeokiM32

Rest assured you are safe, that is not the way it works, you do not need to worry.
  3. DaveM121 Win User

Hi LeokiM32

I am Dave, I will help you with this.

Rest assured an Xbox Controller cannot get a virus or malware by connecting it to your PC, that is just not possible, there is no software transferred from the PC to the controller.
  4. LeokiM32 Win User

Okay I see. It was just because of the fact of Xbox Controller Updates, that as I thought, they update Xbox Controller in "Controller" and not in Xbox system itself. That is why I worried that viruses could somehow enter to Xbox Controller and start infecting other devices where I would plug my Xbox Controller (e.g. other PC/laptop, Xbox One, or whatever (cloud gaming, so I mean also Android i guess?))...
  5. LeokiM32 Win User

Oh okay. I just thought that e.g. if I had a virus on the Windows, plugged Xbox Controller through USB, that then the virus could move onto Controller and then keep infecting other devices from Controller (just like USB Key)... You know, I did read that Xbox Controller is able to be updated, so I thought that it's like any device then that the virus could easily get there. I'm not so much aware of Xbox Updating, so... Or is it that Xbox itself update the Controller and not Windows? I'm confused as actually I know that normal old printer or scanner wouldn't get virus by plugging it to the infected PC, as there's nothing to infect (when it's not a WIFI model though)...

Yeah I might be a bit over sensitive for safety of my devices :) Just don't wanna mess around and end up Xbox infected too, or plugging Controller to other PC and get the other PC infected too... As there's a Cloud Gaming and I heard that you can connect Xbox Controller to Android too... Would be terrible to get all of devices infected...
  6. LeokiM32 Win User

But what about the Xbox Controller Updates? That's why I don't really get it, if it would maybe transfer virus by updating on Windows?
Thema:

1. Can Xbox Controller get virus through Windows? - Similar Threads - Controller virus through

2. Xbox controller exchange address

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox controller exchange address: Hi guys, does anybody know the address that i need to ship my xbox controller to? ( i’m in canada by the way) 5f3271e8-88c9-4b79-9c4c-41c68b148c71
  3. Is the OLD USB xbox controller (for XBOX ONE and WINDOWS) supposed to work with ACCESSORIES...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Is the OLD USB xbox controller (for XBOX ONE and WINDOWS) supposed to work with ACCESSORIES...: It keeps saying update required and loops on that -kyle 835ecb88-aff7-42d3-b7fe-ecb021f4a961
  4. Will new XBOX Series X controllers work with the XBOX 360 Wireless Receiver on my PC

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Will new XBOX Series X controllers work with the XBOX 360 Wireless Receiver on my PC: Hello I have an XBOX 360 Wireless receiver that I use with existing XBOX 360 controllers. I would like to buy some new XBOX series X controllers. Are the newer controllers backwards compatible...
  5. xbox elite controller 2 repair order disappeared

in XBoX on Consoles
    xbox elite controller 2 repair order disappeared: Hello I send my xbox elite controller 2 for repair for bad bumpers and trigger. but after sending it for repair my order disappeared after 2 days. this was in 7-27-2022 and after 2 months I...
  6. XBox One - parental controls

in XBoX Accessibility
    XBox One - parental controls: XBox One - I think there is a setting somewhere that stops the console from working after a certain time each day. How do I access this setting and remove it? 0cd15e50-db22-4247-92f3-b026792e6998
  7. Windows 11 Virus and Xbox One Controller connected - can it infect controller?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Windows 11 Virus and Xbox One Controller connected - can it infect controller?: Hello! Sorry to ask this question in other place here in the community... I would want to know if it is any possibility to get virus on the Xbox One Controller through USB connected to infected...
  8. Can a virus jump from a computer to Xbox controller

in XBoX on Windows
    Can a virus jump from a computer to Xbox controller: I'm asking because me and my brother share an Xbox controller for both our PCs. 6944682f-0918-47b0-991d-ce48c79236f4
  9. Xbox Controller Running My Motherboard Like An Implanted Virus

in XBoX on Windows
    Xbox Controller Running My Motherboard Like An Implanted Virus: So I received my PC less than a month ago. And for the first few weeks I had no issues. About a week ago I was using my Xbox One controller plugged in through my micro USB cable as always, and my...
  10. Xbox virus: console stuck on dashboard - constantly scrolling left, regardless of controller

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox virus: console stuck on dashboard - constantly scrolling left, regardless of controller: After browsing the web on IE, a set of crazy pop-up ads started popping up in tabs. I closed all tabs, restarted IE, then reset my console. After I turned it back on, I have been plagued by...