Can you separate your xbox account from your microsoft account?

Discus and support Can you separate your xbox account from your microsoft account? in XBoX on Windows to solve the problem; Hi, Back when I was little my parents got me an xbox 360 and made me an xbox live account but under my mom's email. For then that was fine but now I'm... Discussion in 'XBoX on Windows' started by NicholasMcFadden, Mar 14, 2019.

1. Can you separate your xbox account from your microsoft account?

Hi,

Back when I was little my parents got me an xbox 360 and made me an xbox live account but under my mom's email. For then that was fine but now I'm older and I just saw the Halo Master Chief Collection is coming to steam but will require an xbox live account.
    The problem being my old one is under my mom's email and I really want to use that one and maybe continue to play Microsoft games on PC later. Is there anyway I can move the xbox account to my email and leave my mom's email alone (she need all her office products).

Thanks.

:)

NicholasMcFadden, Mar 14, 2019
  2. DrifterX22 Win User

how to change your email.

Always add an email address first then make it the primary before removing the first one.

How to change the email address or phone number you use to sign in to your Microsoft account online

Step 1: Add a new email address or phone number

1. Sign in to your
      Microsoft account
    2. Select Your info at the top of the page.
    3. Select Manage how you sign in to Microsoft.
    4. You may be prompted to re-enter your password or enter a code we send to the email address or phone number listed in your account as security information. This lets us know the request is coming from you.
    5. Select either Add email or Add phone number.

Note If you see the message “For security reasons, you need to verify your primary alias before you can add another alias” at the bottom of the page, you will need to either
      Verify your current primary alias or select Rename. If you select
      Rename, please go to the “How to rename an unverified primary alias” section
    6. If you selected Add email, follow these steps. Otherwise, go to step 7 to add a phone number.
      1. If you want to create a new email address to use, select Create a new email address and add it as an alias, and then follow the instructions.
      2. If you have a non-Microsoft email address (such as an @gmail.com or
        @yahoo.com
        email address) that you want to use, select Add an existing email address as a Microsoft account alias, and then click
        Add alias.
        • When you add an existing email address, you'll be required to verify that you own that account. To the right of the alias you added, click
          Verify, and we'll send a message to that email address to get confirmation.
        • When you receive the verification email, click the link provided to verify that you own the account.
        • Note The email address that you enter can't already be in use as a Microsoft account alias.
  3. XBF Diego M Win User

Hi Nicholas,

Thank you for coming to the forums, I'd be happy to help.

Essentially you cannot separate an Xbox profile from a Microsoft account once the Xbox profile is made from the Microsoft account's email. You can however manage the emails you use to sign into your Microsoft account and in extension, your Xbox profile.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12407/microsoft-account-how-to-manage-aliases

Also, keep in mind that removing a Microsoft associated domain will prevent that email from being added as an alias to another Microsoft account, therefore losing access to that email addresses' inbox.

"Notes

• If you remove an email address from a non-Microsoft domain (like @gmail.com), then it usually becomes immediately available to be added as an alias on another Microsoft account.
    • If you remove an email address from @outlook.com, it can be re-created as a new account or alias after 30 days.
    • Email addresses from other Microsoft domains (like @hotmail.com, @live.com, or @msn.com), cannot be added again as an alias to any Microsoft account once they're removed."

To be honest, if your mom actively still uses this email (unless it's a third party email like Gmail) then it's best to just leave it how it is and you will just need to have her login or verify parts of the account when needed.
  4. SLASHCANDY8 Win User

Social Club

No, it is separate to your xbox live account. You need to sign up for an account from the social club page and you can link your gamertag to your social club account.
  5. Gamingboy177 (Sam) Win User

splitting microsoft accounts between two people.

You can only update your Microsoft email, you cannot separate the accounts.
  6. Mad Cow Dizease Win User

can't transer my gamertag

If it's your Microsoft Account that is blocked, I suggest seeing if you can get that fixed via Microsoft Support here as it's separate from Xbox account management:

answers.microsoft.com/.../email
Thema:

1. Can you separate your xbox account from your microsoft account? - Similar Threads - separate account microsoft

2. I've got 2 Xbox accounts. one on 2 separate Xbox.. my first account. GTag-Debo225723 ***...

in XBoX Accessibility
    I've got 2 Xbox accounts. one on 2 separate Xbox.. my first account. GTag-Debo225723 ***...: So yes I'm trying to get into my original Xbox account on my first Xbox One that I owned. About 7 months ago i purchase an Xbox One X and started a new account On it. I need somehow get into my...
  3. Games on Separate Accounts

in XBoX Accessibility
    Games on Separate Accounts: Hello, I have games that I have uploaded into my Xbox One under 2 separate accounts. I want to merge my accounts, or at least be able to upload all of my purchased games into one account. How do...
  4. Separating User Account Info

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Separating User Account Info: Hi, we now have 2 xboxes in the house. Originally my son just piggy backed off my main one which had the gold live attached so all games he purchased came under my gammertag / acount. As we now...
  5. Can't send or receive messages on 2 different Xbox One consoles with two separate accounts- ...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Can't send or receive messages on 2 different Xbox One consoles with two separate accounts- ...: Has anyone has this issue? I can play games, join parties, talk over mic, but I can't receive or send messages. My Conversations will not load as well. When I try to send a message it says...
  6. Separating my son's xbox profile from my Microsoft account to enable family screen time control

in XBoX on Consoles
    Separating my son's xbox profile from my Microsoft account to enable family screen time control: I have microsoft account, my son has always used it for his Xbox with passwords for settings update and purchases etc. He is now playing far too much fortnight and I want to set screen times under...
  7. How do I separate xbox from Microsoft account?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    How do I separate xbox from Microsoft account?: I created an xbox account years ago, when my son was younger, and I guess it is tied to my Microsoft account. Now he is old enough to play xbox Live, but I've realized that I really want the xbox...
  8. Advice Needed: Downside to having a separate Microsoft account ONLY for gaming???

in XBoX on Consoles
    Advice Needed: Downside to having a separate Microsoft account ONLY for gaming???: A long story, but I am buying my first XBOX, but my little brother's XBOX profile (from when he had 360 8-years ago and I didn't play video games) is permanently linked to my Microsoft account....
  9. Separate Xbox Live from Microsoft Account

in XBoX on Consoles
    Separate Xbox Live from Microsoft Account: So I'm getting divorced and my now ex husband and i have always shared one Xbox account attached to my Microsoft account, no issues. But I game very little and he wants to keep all his progress...
  10. Want to separate one xbox 360 account from my microsoft account and add another

in XBoX on Consoles
    Want to separate one xbox 360 account from my microsoft account and add another: Hi there, not sure about this being the perfect place for this, but ima try. I made an xbox live profile 2 years ago while abroad. I made the mistake of linking my hotmail address to it. When i...