Cannot connect Xbox One S with 5GHz Wi-Fi

Discus and support Cannot connect Xbox One S with 5GHz Wi-Fi in XboX Networking Hardware to solve the problem; Cannot connect Xbox One S with 5GHz Wi-Fi In addition to this.. to give you an idea of distances involved here, 2.4ghz range is around 30 metres from... Discussion in 'XboX Networking Hardware' started by LittleAdam1, May 4, 2019.

1. LittleAdam1
    LittleAdam1 Guest

In addition to this.. to give you an idea of distances involved here, 2.4ghz range is around 30 metres from your router before its begins to degrade in quality. 5ghz range is only 10 metres from the router before quality drops hugely.

Some routers also begin to have drop outs or lag as you have described if a device is within the outer near 10m range of the 5ghz channels.. as it tries to continually connect to both networks as the quality of one drops against the other etc.

My router had this issue and I turned off the 5ghz access altogether, my console is now connected by ethernet also and no further issues for me.

If you can hardware up with an ethernet cable.. thats always your best option.. if you do suffer dropouts, turning the 5ghz setting off on your router can help ease that also in some cases dependant on brand of the router equipment, then just connect to
    the 2.4ghz as normal. Hopefully the laggy behaviour will subside.

:)

LittleAdam1, May 4, 2019
  2. DrifterX22 Win User

Is Microsoft giving old Xbox ones latency problems so we upgrade

You could always open the browser on each console and run a generic speedtest. Pick the nearest server provided and compare.

Wired Ethernet Spec is the same across the consoles:

Xbox One X Xbox One S Xbox One

Ethernet IEEE 802.3 10/100/1000 IEEE 802.3 10/100/1000 IEEE 802.3 10/100/1000

Wireless is where they diverge

Xbox One X

IEEE 802.11ac dual band (5GHz & 2.4GHz), 2x2 wireless Wi-Fi with Wi-Fi Direct for home networks

Xbox One S

IEEE 802.11ac dual band (5GHz & 2.4GHz), 2x2 wireless Wi-Fi with Wi-Fi Direct for home networks

Xbox One

Dual band 2.4GHz and 5GHz spectrums, compatible with IEEE 802.11/a/b/g/n networks

Xbox Spec Sheet
  3. Ennileah B Win User

In addition to this.. to give you an idea of distances involved here, 2.4ghz range is around 30 metres from your router before its begins to degrade in quality. 5ghz range is only 10 metres from the router before quality drops hugely.

Some routers also begin to have drop outs or lag as you have described if a device is within the outer near 10m range of the 5ghz channels.. as it tries to continually connect to both networks as the quality of one drops against the other etc.

My router had this issue and I turned off the 5ghz access altogether, my console is now connected by ethernet also and no further issues for me.

If you can hardware up with an ethernet cable.. thats always your best option.. if you do suffer dropouts, turning the 5ghz setting off on your router can help ease that also in some cases dependant on brand of the router equipment, then just connect to
    the 2.4ghz as normal. Hopefully the laggy behaviour will subside.
  4. XBF Crystal P Win User

Hi there LittleAdam1,

Thanks for reaching out here in Xbox Forums. I understand there is an issue with trying to connect the Xbox One S with your 5GHz Wi-fi.

The 2.4 GHz band provides coverage at a longer range but transmits data at slower speeds. The
    5 GHz band provides less coverage but transmits data at faster speeds. The range is lower in the
    5 GHz band because higher frequencies cannot penetrate solid objects, such as walls and floors.

I recommend trying the following article:
    "I am experiencing slow performance when playing games on Xbox Live."
    If the issue persists,
    Contact your ISP to discuss your bandwidth allocation.

Try this out and let us know the results.
  5. DominumStige Win User

Lag after playing games for a while

Hi!

With a wi-fi connection, however, the packages may still be lost and there is no excellent reliability, especially if the router is distant (you might want to enable a 5ghz wi-fi channel).

Try setting a static IP on the console, also verifying that the NAT is open. For further support, read these

instructions
  6. PalZer0 Win User

MacBook problem

Is your 360 connecting to the Internet via Wi-Fi or via an ethernet cable? If connecting via Wi-Fi, the MacBooks may be interfering with the 360's wireless signal. That would cause you to disconnect from Xbox Live.
Thema:

1. Cannot connect Xbox One S with 5GHz Wi-Fi - Similar Threads - Cannot connect 5GHz

2. Xbox game says cannot connect to server, timed out with error code 0102-0000

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox game says cannot connect to server, timed out with error code 0102-0000: 1.Gems of War 2. Only on this game 3. Installed game 4. Started happening today 5. No. 6. Wireless connection 13f8f1b1-8d23-401c-9159-540704753618
  3. Cannot connect to online game play on some games but can on others

in XBoX Accessibility
    Cannot connect to online game play on some games but can on others: Hi im having an issue where i cannot connect online on tom clancy division 2 or battlefield 5 but i can get online on forza motorsport 7, it seams my digital download copies are not getting online...
  4. Xbox one signing me out immediately after logging in, and cannot connect to Xbox live

in XBoX Accessibility
    Xbox one signing me out immediately after logging in, and cannot connect to Xbox live: I am having the issue of my xbox one signing out my profile immediately after logging in, and i am struggling to connect to xbox live as well after restarting my router. Help me please!...
  5. Mi xbox no se puede conectar a un servidor DHCP[Translation-My Xbox cannot connect to a...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Mi xbox no se puede conectar a un servidor DHCP[Translation-My Xbox cannot connect to a...: Mi xbox no se puede conectar a un servidor DCHP ya intente hacer todos los pasos que me indica la interfaz y ninguno sirve [Translation-My Xbox can not connect to a server DCHP already try to do...
  6. Xbox live connection issues (again and again and again and again.... cannot count)

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox live connection issues (again and again and again and again.... cannot count): SOOOO tired. I have 1 XB1X, 1 XB1 and 1 X360 in my house. I have issues again and again and again and again awith connections to xbox live. I need to HARD reset a console to be able to play, and...
  7. "Cannot connect to world" Minecraft v.1.10.0 April 15th 2019

in XBoX Games and Apps
    "Cannot connect to world" Minecraft v.1.10.0 April 15th 2019: Hey there, in dire need of assistance. I made this world approximately a week ago, and have done so much in it with a couple of my friends. They have joined on multiple occasions prior to these...
  8. Can connect to xbox live but cannot find any game servers

in XBoX on Consoles
    Can connect to xbox live but cannot find any game servers: I am able to connect to xbox live but can not find and games servers have tried Ark and World of Tanks. Been going on a while nothing wrong with wifi connection or the Nat connection....
  9. Cannot connect to a retail kit xbox one from Xbox Dev Mode Companion with 10.0.17763.4088...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Cannot connect to a retail kit xbox one from Xbox Dev Mode Companion with 10.0.17763.4088...: Xbox one retail kits for updated to latest OS 10.0.17763.4088 version Device portal works on a browser but same kit cannot be accessed from Dev Mode Companion Xbox one devkit with same...
  10. XBOX1 cannot connect to 5GHz

in XBoX on Consoles
    XBOX1 cannot connect to 5GHz: I am using a dual band router and my console has been connected to my 5ghz band since day one but after more than a year, all of a sudden today it refuse to connect. However, it can connect to my...