Can't get formatted hard drive to work as capture location on Xbox Series X

Discus and support Can't get formatted hard drive to work as capture location on Xbox Series X in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; 1. I can’t seem to get my hard drive to work as a capture device on my Xbox Series X. I keep getting the message “(0x80bd003c)” about formatting the... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by Elrond's Eyebrows, Sep 19, 2022.

1. Can't get formatted hard drive to work as capture location on Xbox Series X

1. I can’t seem to get my hard drive to work as a capture device on my Xbox Series X. I keep getting the message “(0x80bd003c)” about formatting the device on your PC to NTFS. I have done this multiple times now on two separate computers; both the Quick Formate option and also the longer one.

I have switched which port it is plugged into on the console, but this did nothing, I’ve reset my Xbox, unplugged and replugged everything back in, but nothing seems to be working. The hard drive is a 1TB Seagate Backup Plus Portable Drive. It is a few years old but it does have a USB 3.0 and everything else of which is required according to the external capture settings. And when it's pulled up on my computer btw, it does indeed show it is formatted as NTFS.

It did work with my xbox as a game storage device for a couple years, so my console does detect it. As a side note, when I do plug it in now it is labeled as EFI? Idk if that’s at all important….

2. I have another hard drive: 2TB WD EasyStore which is newer. I went ahead and did all the same things with it as as I did with the first, but it too is still getting the same “needs to be formatted at NTFS” message.

I feel like I’ve tried everything at this point, don’t know what I could be doing wrong, so if anyone has any other solutions or ideas I'd appreciate some help.

:)

Elrond's Eyebrows, Sep 19, 2022
  2. JosefLBohorquez Win User

Hi and thanks for reaching Microsoft Xbox gamer's community. My name is Josef.

I'm an Independent Advisor and a Microsoft Xbox user like you.

Hope you're doing great today despite this Elrond's

May I know if you tried power cycling your console to see if the the drive finally can be recognized?

1. Turn off your console by pressing the Xbox button on the front of the console for about 10 seconds, until it shuts down completely.

2. Unplug the console's power cable from the console and from the power outlet. Wait 5 minutes.

Important: Be sure to wait at least 5 minutes. This step resets the power supply.

3. Plug the console power cable back in.

4. Press the Xbox button on your console to turn it on.

Also, are you able to test the drive with another Xbox console to see if you're able to format the drive from there?

Once you do that, connect the drive to your console and check if you can use it
  3. RonaldPires Win User

Formatting Samsung T7 SSD

So, I know how to format drives on a PC but the T7 wasn't showing up on the PC til I found a 3.1 gen 1 port on the back of the PC case. I formatted it to NTFS then plugged it back into the series X. But, in Capture Location, still only "Internal" was available.

I searched external drive not showing on series X, it said to pull the usb cable then reinstall it then hold the X for 10 seconds then restart the console. I held the big X on the controller, it restarted on its own? I entered the console menu, it now says T7 in capture settings, duration, resolution and more/capture location, but there's no choice between using Internal or External storage just the T7.
  4. Obsessive Power Win User

3.0 2Tb Seagate HDD comparability

Hi,

Your drive will work the same on Series X as it does on Xbox One and you won't need to format it.

However, Series X games or Xbox One games with Series X enhancements will not run from that drive and will either need to be installed internally or to an external SSD designed for Series X/S.

Your hard drive will be too slow for Series X games. They can be stored there, but not run from there.
  5. davemorris71 Win User

P50 WD Black Problem XBOX series X

I am also using a WD Black P50 (NVMe SSD 2TB) with my Xbox Series X and It works just great on last generation games. Make sure to plug the drive into your Xbox Series X and then format the SSD drive for games (you also have the option to format it for media). The drive must be formatted using your Xbox Series X (NOT a PC). Happy gaming .
  6. Frathos Win User

Can you not use a 4TB hard disk for capturing clips on Xbox One X?

I just tried adding my Seagate Backup Plus portable USB3 hard disk with 3TB capacity for game capture purposes and it appears to work (I was able to assign it as capture location...haven't tried capturing any game play yet) as a capture location.

After you initialize and format your external HDD on your PC, did you create any folders on the external storage? In case it matters, I didn't after selecting GPT - Simple volume and format as NTFS with no file/folder compression enabled (in case the latter
    matters).

Did you rename your external drive during the format process? In case it matters, I did on mine and called it XBOXCLIPS1.

When you connected the HDD to the console, did it prompt you to use the drive for game or media storage? I selected media storage.

Did you go into Settings - System - Storage, select the HDD and then select Set as capture location? I did this in case it matters or is different than doing it via Settings - Preferences - Capture & share - Capture location (this UI location is also displayed
    when using Xbox nexus button - move right to Capture & share - move down to Capture settings).

Good luck!
Thema:

1. Can't get formatted hard drive to work as capture location on Xbox Series X - Similar Threads - Can't formatted hard

2. Can't format the External Xbox One Hard Drive Storage to use for Windows?! PLEASE READ!!

in XBoX on Consoles
    Can't format the External Xbox One Hard Drive Storage to use for Windows?! PLEASE READ!!: If you have an external storage hard drive previously used for Xbox One games data and instead wanna use it on Windows, please note that it's no use to just format the drive to erase all the data....
  3. DVD not working; want to get a couple games in Digital format but can't find them

in XBoX Games and Apps
    DVD not working; want to get a couple games in Digital format but can't find them: I hadn't used my XBox360 in a couple years (really my son's Xbox that I inherited when he moved out), and when I tried to use it, it would not read any of my game DVDs. When I chose "Open Tray",...
  4. Can't download Forza Horizon 5 on my secondary drive (HDD alreafy formated to NTFS).

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Can't download Forza Horizon 5 on my secondary drive (HDD alreafy formated to NTFS).: When I try to install Forza Horizon 5 from Xbox app I can only choose my C drive. This issue only happens when I try to download Forza, I can install other games from Xbox game pass on D drive....
  5. Can't format WD hard drive to Xbox One

in XBoX on Consoles
    Can't format WD hard drive to Xbox One: Hi everyone I am getting really ticked off with trying to use my WD Elements hard drive for my Xbox One. I just formatted it from the apple file system to NTFS and it showed up as a media drive....
  6. Xbox Game Pass Format Sonrası Oyunları Görmeme Hatası / Xbox Game Pass can't see my games...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Xbox Game Pass Format Sonrası Oyunları Görmeme Hatası / Xbox Game Pass can't see my games...: Xbox Game Pass kullanıcısıyım ve oyunlarımı D: klasörüne yüklüyorum. Bugün bilgisayarıma yani C: diskine format attım. Xbox'a girdim ve yüklemiş olduğum oyunların görünmediğini fark ettim. Oyunlar...
  7. Logisat 2350HD+: Can't format external hard drive

in XBoX TV Hardware
    Logisat 2350HD+: Can't format external hard drive: Logisat (Set-top Boxes) 2350HD+: Can't format external hard drive hi I recently purchased a 1tb 3.0 external hard drive. When connected to xbox one it asks me to format the drive. When I...
  8. I can't format my new external hard drive for my xbox one.

in XBoX on Consoles
    I can't format my new external hard drive for my xbox one.: I bought a Seagate 4 tb external hard drive, but my dashboard isn't coming up when I try to format the drive. Any idea why? 4ee5e914-bc61-4714-8b1d-c361b3b73a8d
  9. My Xbox One can't format my Hard Drive, Help

in XBoX on Consoles
    My Xbox One can't format my Hard Drive, Help: Hello. Yesterday i bought USB 3.0 Hard drive with 3tb. But when i connect it a notification appears: ''Hard drive multimedia ready for installation'' but i want use it for Games an Aplications...
  10. Can't format external hard drive?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Can't format external hard drive?: I recently bought the 2TB USB 3.0 Samsung D3 Station for my Xbox. I initially plugged it in and managed to go into settings>system>manage storage and formatted it but didn't save anything to it. I...