Can't install on a drive other than C:

Discus and support Can't install on a drive other than C: in XBoX on Windows to solve the problem; Hello, I am trying to install games from the windows store/xbox app onto my E: drive (which has more storage) but the app only lets me use C:... Discussion in 'XBoX on Windows' started by jdcopelin, May 14, 2022.

1. jdcopelin
    jdcopelin Guest

Hello,

I am trying to install games from the windows store/xbox app onto my E: drive (which has more storage) but the app only lets me use C:

Although it shows E: as the default drive in "xbox/profile/settings/general/game install options" there is no folder selection option like there is for the C: drive if I change it to C:

When I click to install a game it just asks me to pick C: or D: and no option to use E:.

My E: drive has 4TB of space on it so space is not the issue.

The Windows 10 settings/storage for new apps is also set to E: and appears to be honouring that for the few store apps that I have installed.

The instructions on the help pages suggest re-installing "xbox game services" but that made no difference.

I would appreciate any help from the community to make this work?

:)

jdcopelin, May 14, 2022
  2. Lucas Lauer Win User

Hello, jdcopelin. Thanks for reaching out! My name is Lucas, and I'm an Independent Advisor and a Microsoft user just like you. I'll be happy to assist you today.

Do you know if your E: drive is NTFS? Game Pass only allow games to be installed on NTFS partitions.

- Click the start button and then (depending on your operating system) click Computer or My Computer.

- In the Computer window, right click the drive you wish to check and then click Properties from the menu.

- In the Disk Properties window, you will see it next to File system.

If it's FAT32, just convert it to NTFS:

Open a command prompt window by typing Command prompt in the Windows search box. Right click on it and Run as administrator. Type:

convert E: /fs:ntfs

Press Enter to being the process.

The file system conversion process should not take very long and the on-screen details are fairly intuitive.

Once completed, your FAT32 drive will be converted to NTFS. Close the Command Prompt window and you’re all done.

See if this helps and let me know, please.
  3. Sam43217846 Win User

Prey on Games Pass for PC

Has anyone been able to resolve this? Prey is the only game I can't install on a drive other than C:, why does it need to be on a system drive?
  4. adrian2608 Win User

Xbox app wont install games on C drive, but on another without a problem.

It doesn't go about FORZA, it goes that now I can't install any game, no matter which on C drive, but on other drives, it's not a problem, I already installed FORZA on other drives, want FIFA, but I can't install it on C after the situation with FORZA, and reseted laptop. This is the case.
  5. Obsessive Power Win User

Fallout 76 Game Pass for PC - cannot launch

Hi,

I had this when I first tried it. Turns out the Game-Pass version just doesn't like being installed on any drive other than the C:\ drive. Do you have the game installed on another drive than C:\?
  6. JohnnyJ1 Win User

Can't pre-install Gears 5 with Xbox (Beta) app using Ultimate Game Pass

Also nothing works for me, can't select other drive than C. Fot other apps it is selectable only for Gears 5 does not work. I tried to reset msstore, gaming services. Still the same. And I do not have enough space on c to install it...
Thema:

1. Can't install on a drive other than C: - Similar Threads - Can't install drive

2. Can't change installation location from C: to D: drive at all

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Can't change installation location from C: to D: drive at all: Ok so on the xbox app I cannot change the driver installation and resetting and repairing doesn't work So I repair the app and reset it and no matter how I change the driver installation in the...
  3. Can't change installation location from C: to D: drive at all (3rd post so someone...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Can't change installation location from C: to D: drive at all (3rd post so someone...: Ok so on the xbox app I cannot change the driver installation and resetting and repairing doesn't work So I repair the app and reset it and no matter how I change the driver installation in the...
  4. Can't Download and Install Games to Drives other than C:/

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Can't Download and Install Games to Drives other than C:/: Dear All, I have an issue regarding downloading games into other drives than C:/ on my computer. Every time I tried to install the game to D:/ or E:/ drives, my downloaded game will show an error...
  5. Can't install some games on a drive, but I can on others

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Can't install some games on a drive, but I can on others: When I go and try to download a game (In this case Gears of War 5), I am greeted with an option to install on what drive. I go to find my G: drive, but I can't find it. I just think "it's not a...
  6. Drive being detected but can't install any games on it.

in XBoX on Consoles
    Drive being detected but can't install any games on it.: I have been using Xbox app on windows for a few years now and i have never had this problem before. A week ago i was able to install on my C drive freely and i also had the option to change...
  7. i can't install Xbox games on my external hard drive on my new gaming laptop

in XBoX Games and Apps
    i can't install Xbox games on my external hard drive on my new gaming laptop: Okay so i have a problem and i need help... I can't install Xbox games on the Xbox app on my new laptop with my exteernal hard drive and i don't know why and i've already tried a lot of method to...
  8. I can't install games on my drive of choice

in XBoX Games and Apps
    I can't install games on my drive of choice: The Xbox app knows I have a B:\ drive, I selected it in the general settings. But when I go to install any game I only see my C, D and F. Someone suggested I change the drive letter, so I changed...
  9. Can't choose my external SSD drive as an installation folder

in XboX Insiders
    Can't choose my external SSD drive as an installation folder: I formated my pc and started reinstalling everything. I have a new external SSD drive so i started installing all game there. When i started for the first time the xbox app i was able to choose...
  10. Can't Install Anything On my D Drive

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Can't Install Anything On my D Drive: I am unable to install anything on my D Drive, Everytime I do it just gives me an error code [img] 43fcb2ec-e137-483f-a132-4f03a708996f