Can't run any PC Game Pass games at all anymore (Windows cannot access the specified device...

Discus and support Can't run any PC Game Pass games at all anymore (Windows cannot access the specified device... in XBoX Games and Apps to solve the problem; As of about 3 months ago, I am no longer able to run any games on PC Game Pass. I have an active subscription. I have installed and reinstalled several... Discussion in 'XBoX Games and Apps' started by AlphaOmegaStrife, Jan 22, 2022.

1. Can't run any PC Game Pass games at all anymore (Windows cannot access the specified device...

As of about 3 months ago, I am no longer able to run any games on PC Game Pass. I have an active subscription. I have installed and reinstalled several games. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the Xbox App, the Windows Store, Gaming Services.

This is the error that I get. I notice that it has the C directory notated when all games are installed on another drive, if that happens to make a difference.

Any assistance would be great.

Can't run any PC Game Pass games at all anymore (Windows cannot access the specified device... [​IMG]

:)

AlphaOmegaStrife, Jan 22, 2022
  2. N1NJ4 Potatoe Win User

Xbox Game Pass PC game .exe location?

Hi, having also wondered this as I just got Game Pass for PC simply because its such a good deal, here is what I found:

Despite installing the game into my E: drive, the .exe file is still located in my OS C: drive.

The address for Metro Exodus for example was;

C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\DeepSilver.ProjectWindfall_1.0.11.0_x64__hmv7qcest37me

The application file has no icon or anything and trying to launch the game using this exe will display the error:

Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriete permissions to access the item.

This is despite me having full access over the folder and its subcontents (otherwise microsoft doesnt allow you to even open them in the first place). It seems like regardless of being able to access the .exe, only the Xbox Game Pass (Beta) app allows it to
    be run.
  3. patrickb1973 Win User

Xbox Game Pass PC game .exe location?

Hi, having also wondered this as I just got Game Pass for PC simply because its such a good deal, here is what I found:

Despite installing the game into my E: drive, the .exe file is still located in my OS C: drive.

The address for Metro Exodus for example was;

C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\DeepSilver.ProjectWindfall_1.0.11.0_x64__hmv7qcest37me

The application file has no icon or anything and trying to launch the game using this exe will display the error:

Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriete permissions to access the item.

This is despite me having full access over the folder and its subcontents (otherwise microsoft doesnt allow you to even open them in the first place). It seems like regardless of being able to access the .exe, only the Xbox Game Pass (Beta) app allows it to
    be run.
    I have the same problem with whatever game i install, you can not start or use the .exe of the game.
  4. FiDRoC Win User

BF:3 BETA

Yeah unfortunately my gaming rig is still powered by XP (don't do that much PC gaming anymore) so i'm not even sure i'll be able to partake in it tbh being as the email specified Windows 7
  5. andersonpassos Win User

Windows cannot access the specified device Error while trying to open games

Thank you for contact us! I'm Anderson, an Independent Consultant and a Microsoft user like you.

good afternoon

It is possible that your profile does not have the necessary permissions, check if your account is an administrator account.

also check if your account is logged not only on the xbox app, but also on the microsoft store.

and finally if everything is correct, try this:

Microsoft has released an update to correct this issue. To install the update, follow these steps:

Select the Start button in the lower left corner of the main screen and select Settings.

Select Update and Security > Check for Updates.

Select View optional updates, then select update KB5004476 from the list.

KB5004476

Select Download and Install.

When the update is complete, restart the device.

You should now be able to install, update and launch games.

Are you still in trouble?

Create a notepad file with the following name:

"RepairGamingServices.ps1"

inside the file paste this text (if quotes):

"

Get-AppxPackage *gamingservices* -allusers | remove-appxpackage -allusers

Remove-Item -Path "HKLM:\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\GamingServices" -recurse

Remove-Item -Path "HKLM:\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\GamingServicesNet" -recurse

"

Then, to run, right-click on the file, and run as administrator. then restart windows. then you need to open the Xbox app from Windows 10 that will be warning you that you need to install an extra component for the app, accept and wait for the installation. After that, Microsoft guarantees that you will be able to reopen and download Xbox Game Pass games on Windows 10.
  6. Lucas Lauer Win User

Windows cannot access the specified device Error while trying to open games

Hello, kro. Thanks for reaching out! I'm an Independent Advisor and a Microsoft Community expert user. I'll be happy to assist you today.

Did you try to make a new user account and play your games there?

This should work for people having this issue.

The other option if you don't want to create a new user account is to do a full reset of the main account, which means losing all files/registry updates, programs, etc.
Thema:

Can't run any PC Game Pass games at all anymore (Windows cannot access the specified device...

1. Can't run any PC Game Pass games at all anymore (Windows cannot access the specified device... - Similar Threads - Can't run Game

2. Games "crash" but still run in background, yet can't get back into it and I have to force shut.

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Games "crash" but still run in background, yet can't get back into it and I have to force shut.: I've been trying to find someone who's had a similar issue regarding games crashing but none seem to have exactly the issue I've encountered. Some games, though not all, "crash" after a few...
  3. can't install the xbox app +run games on said app

in XBoX Games and Apps
    can't install the xbox app +run games on said app: confusing title but heres the run down, at the start of today I wasn't able to run and games, I was getting a error prompt giving me a file name and saying "the data is invald" and after talking...
  4. Audio messages(I can't hear them when run games)

in XBoX on Consoles
    Audio messages(I can't hear them when run games): Hi. I have the same issue for more than a year(Yes you read well more than a year) and never solved even i have contact with ms support e.t.c. I can't hear any audio message when i run games....
  5. Gaming Services not running, can't play games

in XBoX on Windows
    Gaming Services not running, can't play games: I was playing Echo Generation just yesterday, I got up really early so I could play before work and now I can't. I can't play any game pass games. Every time I try to run a game, it says that I...
  6. Game Pass for PC - Can't run Yakuza 0

in XBoX on Windows
    Game Pass for PC - Can't run Yakuza 0: Got really excited with the E3 announcement that all Yakuza games are now on Game Pass, so I downloaded Yakuza 0 on PC. Unfortunately, I simply can't run the game. It gives me an error message...
  7. Can't run any Xbox360 games on Series X properly.

in XboX Insiders
    Can't run any Xbox360 games on Series X properly.: Error 8015190a. Keep getting credential error that leads to failure to download xbox360 profile. Methods tried: Hard restart-remove profile-add profile-uninstall game-reinstall game. Cleared...
  8. Asphalt 9: Legends game can't run on my pc

in XBoX on Consoles
    Asphalt 9: Legends game can't run on my pc: I try to play it it just appears some random screen with a car with glitchy graphics and I'm pretty sure my laptop is more than capable of running the game [img]...
  9. Can't install game or run apps - error code 0x8007045d

in XBoX on Consoles
    Can't install game or run apps - error code 0x8007045d: What are the options to get an Xbox One X console diagnosed if there is a file corruption or system problem? It was having issues a few days ago - slow/laggy, screen lock up, black screen. I had...
  10. Can't run BC 360 game on Xbox Series X

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Can't run BC 360 game on Xbox Series X: Hi, I bought Hydrophobia yesterday on the XSX store and it doesn't show up in my collection. The store won't allow me to download it and it shows as if I hadn't bought the game. I tested it on...