Capturing Game Clips to External Drive Requires NTFS Format Question

Discus and support Capturing Game Clips to External Drive Requires NTFS Format Question in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; Hello everyone, I'm trying to capture extended game clips to an external hard drive. When I connect it and change the save location in settings it... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by XBSJason, Apr 30, 2019.

1. XBSJason
    XBSJason Guest

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to capture extended game clips to an external hard drive. When I connect it and change the save location in settings it gives me the option of Internal or EFI. I'm assuming EFI is the connected hard drive (it is usb 3.0).

However, it says I need to format it NTFS on a PC. I've done so, but reconnecting gives me the same message.

Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance.

:)

XBSJason, Apr 30, 2019
  2. Jeff Jenkins
    Jeff Jenkins New Member
    I have exactly the same issue - the disk is formatted correctly as NTFS and is recognised as such on a windows 10 PC and on the disk is recognised on the Xbox and I selected "Media" when prompted. I can see the drive under the storage section listed as "EFI" and can read any media files that have been written to the file by a PC but when i try and set it as the game capture device the Xbox says it must be formatted as NTFS and will not set it as the game capture device. I think this is a bug in the operating system.

Jeff Jenkins, Oct 6, 2021
  3. Jeff Jenkins
    Jeff Jenkins New Member
    OK you need to use a partitioning tool (Not the windows disk manager) to remove the EFI partition and optionally merge the space it used with the main partition. Then you can set it as the capture device from the storage menu and successfully save clips there

Jeff Jenkins, Oct 6, 2021
  4. XBSJason Win User

Thanks for the reply. Trying now without quick format. Will update once that completes and I give it another shot.
  5. XBF Eladio M Win User

Hey XBSJason

Thank you so much for taking the time to post this on the Xbox Forums.

In regards to using an external hard drive [EHDD], I would recommend that you try to format it once more to FAT32 and then try to format it back to NTFS. When you format it, I would implore you to make sure that you uncheck the box that says "Quick Format"
    just as a precaution, and then try to plug it in into your console

Alternatively, you can try to format it to FAT32, and then plug it into your console and you will receive a message that states in you must format it in order to use it on your console.

Note: Storage formatted for Xbox games won't work for captures. If you have games installed on the same device, do one of the following:

[*]
    1. Plug an external storage device (USB 3.0, NTFS-formatted) into your Xbox.
    2. Note that storage formatted for Xbox games won't work for captures. If you have games installed on the same device, do one of the following:
    3. Plug a second storage device into your Xbox. Use this for your captures so you can keep using the other one for games and apps.
    • Repurpose your storage device for captures, but move your stuff first. While the device is connected—but before you format it for captures—go to your games and apps and move your games from external to internal storage. Next, unplug the
      storage from your Xbox, plug it into a PC, reformat to NTFS, safely remove it from your PC, then reconnect it to your Xbox.
    1. Press the Xbox button to open the guide, then select
      System > Settings > Preferences >
      Broadcast & capture.
    2. Select Capture location, then choose a destination for your game clips and screenshots.
    I will include a
    link
    where you can also see this info

Please go ahead and give this a try and keep us updated!
  6. ajinga66 Win User

Xbox One/external SSD

Ntfs format is required for external hard disk or USB drive.
  7. Frathos Win User

Formatting Hard Drive

The Format Hard Drive function is also there so that you can format external USB 3.0 HDD's with the appropriate Xbox partition for saving games etc. By default, a new external HDD would come with a FAT or NTFS partition which cannot be used for installing
    Xbox games. A NTFS partitioned external hard drive can be used however for extended Game DVR clips.
  8. rsattler Win User

Xbox One X External Hard Drive Format

If you want to use it for games and apps, it has to be formatted for use by the Xbox.

If you want to use the drive to store music or video files, including game capture, you must format it NTFS.

All of the MS docs say this only, so I would advise against exFAT.

I am using two external drives on mine, one for games (formatted by the Xbox), one for game capture (formatted on my PC for NTFS).

Hope this helps
Thema:

1. Capturing Game Clips to External Drive Requires NTFS Format Question - Similar Threads - Capturing Game Clips

2. Xbox game bar captured clips wont open in folder

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Xbox game bar captured clips wont open in folder: I can view the clips in the game bar just fine but when i open the folder they are in windows is telling me it cant find it and make sure i type in the name in correctly? Now the clips in folder...
  3. Why game clip capturing isn't supported under just dance 2021?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Why game clip capturing isn't supported under just dance 2021?: In previous version of just dance it enabled the capturing(recordin) and newer version 2021 the function isn't available, why??? a8928b23-069e-4fdb-b409-6979a9856b56
  4. Game clip capture issue

in XBoX on Consoles
    Game clip capture issue: Hello, I have an issue with trying to capture game clips on my Xbox One S. I have my capture settings set to capture the past minute of gameplay, and usually this works fine. However, occasionally...
  5. Capturing Game Clips to an External Storage Without A Recording Time Limit

in XboX Insiders
    Capturing Game Clips to an External Storage Without A Recording Time Limit: I just wanted to submit a feedback request of removing the one hour recording time limit to an external storage. For example, this way my recordings will not stop in a middle of a battle. What I...
  6. Unable to trim game capture clips, clips have no sound on Series X

in XBoX on Consoles
    Unable to trim game capture clips, clips have no sound on Series X: Hi all, I’ve game captured a couple of COD clips (2 minute clips) and have tried to trim the videos but the preview and save button is greyed out after I adjusted my sliders to where I want to...
  7. how can i upload a capture or a game clip from pc to xbox live?

in XBoX on Windows
    how can i upload a capture or a game clip from pc to xbox live?: So i have alot of captures and clips that i made using the xbox game bar, but i know that i can't upload them using the xbox console companion app anymore. Is there another xbox app that i can use...
  8. Capturing game chat on recorded clips for Xbox One.

in XBoX Accessibility
    Capturing game chat on recorded clips for Xbox One.: I was able to record audio chat on recorded game clips when i had a 3.5mm mic plugged into my controller. Ever since i started using Astro A50 xbox headsets I can no longer record game chat. I...
  9. Captures/Game Clips Not Downloading to App or Profile

in XBoX on Consoles
    Captures/Game Clips Not Downloading to App or Profile: I keep having an issue with select game clips not being available on my Xbox App or on my profile. It's been going on for about a week and my storage isn't the problem. Sometimes, the app won't...
  10. Clipping game captures

in XBoX on Consoles
    Clipping game captures: Xbox is broken. Its a bug that they created When i first turn on my xbox in the morning and go onto a game it doesnt clip anything when i press home button then X. I have to restart my console and...