Decider vs. Overseer: your role in a narrative-driven game

Discus and support Decider vs. Overseer: your role in a narrative-driven game in XBoX Games and Apps to solve the problem; virtually every game is story driven and because of this, the player's actions don't really have any real impact on the ending, after all, the player... Discussion in 'XBoX Games and Apps' started by AridLizard, Sep 5, 2019.

1. AridLizard
    AridLizard Guest

virtually every game is story driven and because of this, the player's actions don't really have any real impact on the ending, after all, the player eventually wins and the bad guys lose. some games give a lot of freedom to the player in how each obstacle
    is overcome while others only have a single correct way to succeed, but they all follow the broad narrative set out by the developers.

the only time this doesn't happen is if the game doesn't have a story and is a pure sandbox/survival game.

:)

AridLizard, Sep 5, 2019
  2. NiteTimeOwl3533 Win User

I've also enjoyed games more where I have to prepare for battles and have a strategy rather than go blazing guns into a battle.
  3. Villarino Win User

Hello Oraclea, i would say decider for sure! From fable 1 until today :p I love the fact that deficinitons impact thing in the stry or gameplay
  4. veiledbythemist Win User

Honestly I really enjoy both types of games. As long as the story line is overall good then I'll enjoy it whether I have a choice in it or not.
  5. sandy the hippy Win User

I guess it depends on the games narrative. If it's interesting enough, I'm happy to be an overseer, similar to reading a good novel, essentially watching the story unfold, albeit with me "acting out" various aspects.

If the story is less engaging, then that role quickly.becomes dull. Then, I guess the game becomes more like a Choose Your Own Adventure book lol
  6. GroundOregano94 Win User

Very, very good question. Deep in human psychology. I will speak for myself. Off course that I'm a decider. I want to change, impact and get noticed. Lot's of game studios realize that and makes games that your choices can alternate the whole story. (Times
    of Mass Effect, the old and great ones) Same is in life. The future is not written. You must write it for yourself. Off course, there always be people who go with the flow. I'm not judging just stating. It is a matter of choice.
Thema:

1. Decider vs. Overseer: your role in a narrative-driven game - Similar Threads - Decider Overseer role

2. LOL, So a MOD decided that my one letter and symbols were profanity? Are you joking right...

in XBoX Accessibility
    LOL, So a MOD decided that my one letter and symbols were profanity? Are you joking right...: 1. CODE OF CONDUCT = no clear example of what is considered profanity. Where is what I said, stated a Profanity? 2. C of C is so vague on wording that they can just chose to them what they feel...
  3. If i pre order the UE version of gears 5 with game pass, and i decide to buy the actual...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    If i pre order the UE version of gears 5 with game pass, and i decide to buy the actual...: thank you for responding if you do so 6774e0c4-d70a-4cc0-8fc1-790b781dcb08
  4. Who decided that clips in 4K won't get automatically uploaded to Xbox Live?

in XboX Insiders
    Who decided that clips in 4K won't get automatically uploaded to Xbox Live?: I'm paying for a 4K console. Of course I want 4K clips. Why is it that if I want them uploaded, I have to sit on a screen waiting for my Xbox to manually convert each one to 1080p and then upload...
  5. Microsoft decided that I was from Italy ...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Microsoft decided that I was from Italy ...: Hello! Microsoft decided that I was from Italy ... I have never indicated that from Italy. Why I was exposed to this country is not clear ... I change region to Russia, but I CAN NOT activate...
  6. When you decide to ban me but not the scammer good thing I have a playstation

in XBoX Accessibility
    When you decide to ban me but not the scammer good thing I have a playstation: So this User had a looking for group post called "Free V-Bucks" and he tried scamming my little bro on my account by trying to get him to give him Verizon and Fido payment information so he can...
  7. I decided to pay a subscription from EA Games.

in XBoX on Consoles
    I decided to pay a subscription from EA Games.: I decided to pay a subscription from EA Games. I chose a payment method, filled in the data. I click to pay, they wrote a waiver with this method of payment and repeated this operation two times....
  8. My xbox decided to reset itself

in XBoX on Consoles
    My xbox decided to reset itself: My xbox decided to reset itself now I have to reinstall everything. Can somoeone please explain why this happened or what microsoft is willing to do to fix it. Seem to have happened to only people...
  9. If you could only buy one, which of these games would you decide on?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    If you could only buy one, which of these games would you decide on?: - Shadow of the Tomb Raider - Red Dead Redemption 2 - Call of Duty Black Ops IIII - Battlefield V And explain to us the reason for your decision: For me the best game for its story...
  10. My Xbox One just decided not to get along with my modem.

in XBoX on Consoles
    My Xbox One just decided not to get along with my modem.: I've been playing fine works over a month. All of a sudden within the past few days my Xbox decided it had enough of my modem, I guess. I'm getting the UPnP unsuccessful message, and nothing is...