Discussion: Games that do interesting things with fail states, Game Over screens

Discus and support Discussion: Games that do interesting things with fail states, Game Over screens in XBoX Games and Apps to solve the problem; As someone who remembers the brutal days of starting all the way over at World 1-1 and the barrage of "Insert Coin to Continue" messages on arcade... Discussion in 'XBoX Games and Apps' started by Oraclea, Jan 19, 2020.

1. Oraclea
    Oraclea Guest

Discussion: Games that do interesting things with fail states, Game Over screens

As someone who remembers the brutal days of starting all the way over at World 1-1 and the barrage of "Insert Coin to Continue" messages on arcade "Game Over" screens, it's always been interesting to me to see the different and evolving ways video games
    handle fail states (such as game overs, mission failures, losing a life, etc.). For this discussion, I'd ask you to highlight a game that you think does something interesting, unique, or fun with regard to fail states and/or "Game Over" screens.

Some possible ideas include, but certainly aren't limited to:

-Fail states having consequences on the game the next time gameplay starts up

-Fail states that are particularly intertwined with other aspects of the game's design

-Fail states that nudge the player toward success in the future

-Fail states that only happen under certain interesting conditions

-Game Over/level failure screens with interesting animations or quotes

-Game Over/level failure screens portraying interesting information to the player

I'll start the discussion by highlighting Celeste, and two things I think are interesting about the game's fail states. First, the game designers clearly considered that you're expected to die a lot playing it, so the game is very quick about getting you
    back into playing the game after you die; coupled with how the different parts of each level are divided into brief segments and you only have to start over at that segment, it really helps the player to not associate failure with losing momentum. Second,
    the game keeps track of your death count, which is a staple of Celeste's genre, but through in-game messages, it encourages you not to be upset about your death count, but instead to be proud of it and know that it's a sign that you're learning the game.
    I love that message, and it really did help me to keep a "you can do this!" attitude going throughout my time playing despite the game's difficulty.

:)

Oraclea, Jan 19, 2020
  2. D4vid 360 Win User

I like simple ones, like some cods or remnant, with good phrases.
  3. TimmarAU Win User

I have always loved the older CoD games, where it would have a famous historical quote or the odd quote from Murphy's Military Law (ala "Friendly Fire, Isn't).
  4. Kewlwolf Win User

Sunset Overdrive. After you die, the game respawns you with an animation, you either arrive in the Back to the Future DeLorean, or some UFO drops you or you come out of a tv, like in the horror movies witches do. There are around 18 such respawn animations
    and they're all ****.
  5. Chudamaru Win User

I always liked the idea of Steel Battalion deleting your save if you died.
  6. Aboredape Win User

Conker's Bad Fur Day

You'd have to watch a YouTube video of them all xD
Thema:

1. Discussion: Games that do interesting things with fail states, Game Over screens - Similar Threads - Discussion Games interesting

2. Xbox Game Streaming (Preview) Support and Discussion: Week of February 20, 2020

in XboX Insiders
    Xbox Game Streaming (Preview) Support and Discussion: Week of February 20, 2020: Discuss your experiences and get help with Xbox Game Streaming (Preview) here all week long! This thread is open all week long to discuss all things Xbox Game Streaming (Preview) and get help...
  3. MMO Games Discussion

in XBoX Games and Apps
    MMO Games Discussion: What PC only MMO games do you wish was on console? What MMO games do you play? 701f736d-386c-4108-87a2-32e548c66ac3
  4. Xbox Game Streaming (Preview) Support and Discussion: Week of February 13, 2020

in XboX Insiders
    Xbox Game Streaming (Preview) Support and Discussion: Week of February 13, 2020: Discuss your experiences and get help with Xbox Game Streaming (Preview) here all week long! This thread is open all week long to discuss all things Xbox Game Streaming (Preview) and get help...
  5. “ Saying Good Game “ discussion

in XBoX Games and Apps
    “ Saying Good Game “ discussion: I play multiplayer on cod a lot. I say gg and hear it from others quite often. 3ab21314-0c07-465a-aff7-8cc393641647
  6. (Discussion) Favorite horror game you have played?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    (Discussion) Favorite horror game you have played?: For me personally, Outlast was such a great game with an amazing storyline. It appeared on the games with gold list about a year ago. The game made me buy the DLC, and along with Outlast 2. Here...
  7. Xbox Game Streaming (Preview) Support and Discussion: Week of February 06, 2020

in XboX Insiders
    Xbox Game Streaming (Preview) Support and Discussion: Week of February 06, 2020: Discuss your experiences and get help with Xbox Game Streaming (Preview) here all week long! This thread is open all week long to discuss all things Xbox Game Streaming (Preview) and get help...
  8. Big changes to Xbox Game Pass Quests - Thoughts and discussions

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Big changes to Xbox Game Pass Quests - Thoughts and discussions: Has everyone seen the new look Xbox Game Pass Quests? Appears to be live now. I can confirm I can see it in the Android Game Pass app. To sum up, there are loads more quests for you to earn...
  9. Favourite Survival Game (Discussion)

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Favourite Survival Game (Discussion): Hola, Para mi uno de los mejores juegos de survival es the forest pero como no esta para xbox me quedo con Minecraft de todos los demas, porque es demasiado lo que puedes hacer o explorar...
  10. (Discussion) What game actually made you shed a tear?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    (Discussion) What game actually made you shed a tear?: Sephiroth killing Aeris in FF VII. that was a shock and it came out of nowhere. the music that plays in that scene is so emotional dd2c3aa7-4fdb-4fb9-88da-cd03f89b519a