Enhance paddle mapping for the Xbox Elite Series 2 controller

Discus and support Enhance paddle mapping for the Xbox Elite Series 2 controller in XboX Insiders to solve the problem; The Elite Series 2 has an interesting feature that allows a paddle button to be remapped to act like a shift key. This feature tells us a bit about the... Discussion in 'XboX Insiders' started by /u/Tricky_Shoe8153, May 25, 2022.

1. Enhance paddle mapping for the Xbox Elite Series 2 controller

The Elite Series 2 has an interesting feature that allows a paddle button to be remapped to act like a shift key. This feature tells us a bit about the hardware itself. (A) The hardware is capable of sending (what appears to be) the equivalent of meta-key to the console/PC it's attached to. (B) The hardware is capable of differentiating the paddle button press from the button it's mimicking. So if you map a paddle to the "B" button the firmware knows that you haven't actually pressed "B" ... you've pressed a button that's mapped to mimic "B"

If we combine these hardware capabilities, it would stand to reason that the hardware SHOULD allow the paddles to be mapped as completely unique game functions. If the accessories app allowed us to configure the paddles as SHIFT AND [SOME BUTTON] (instead of SHIFT OR [SOME BUTTON]), it would basically be like we have C & D and U & V buttons on the back of the controller.

This would allow (for example) a Halo Infinite player to avoid accidentally clicking down on the thumbsticks and going into the melee animation. We could just remap the melee action to be SHIFT-X (for example) and leave the right thumbstick click unmapped. We could (arguably) do the same for all paddles and we'd gain the ability to map SHIFT-X, SHIFT-Y, SHIFT-A, and SHIFT-B each to their own unique functions separate from their unshifted equivalents.

Applications like reWASD on PC seem to take advantage of these capabilities and allow the mapping of additional functions in PC games to the Elite controller paddles which is great for complex games like flight/space sims.

It seems like we have 4 free buttons, they just need to be "unlocked"

Also, I noticed most game development APIs recognize the ability to map up to 16 "controller buttons" so the development stack already seems to support (and recognize) the need to add more buttons than the ones we already have.

submitted by /u/Tricky_Shoe8153
    [link] [comments]

/u/Tricky_Shoe8153, May 25, 2022
  2. NeoDan123 Win User

Xbox elite controller 2

Each Elite controller series 2 comes with 1 set of paddles. You can order replacement paddles, thumbsticks etc.

Series 1 paddles, thumbsticks is not compatible with series 2.
  3. SoullessCodith Win User

Xbox Elite Series 2 controller with different colored paddles???

I have an elite series 2 controller. All of the paddles are the same color.
  4. TomaToMcNuggets Win User

Series X controller wish?

If all of the series X controllers act like the elite series 2 just without the paddles that would be perfect but i’m not sure what the likelihood of that happening would be.
  5. XBF Amber M Win User

Elite 2 Controller Mapping Letdown

Hi PsycoPyro88,

Thanks for the reply. The Elite controller series 2 has various methods of mapping the buttons and paddles as compared to the series 1. If you haven't done so already, I recommend taking a look at the following support articles that
    can assist you in determining how to set up the different functions, including how to use Shift with the controller to give you alternate inputs:

Get to know your Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2

Use the Xbox Accessories app to customize your Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2  

Use Shift with your Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2

Adjust the thumbsticks on your Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2

Charge your Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2

If you'd like to contribute some ideas on how to make improvements to or about other ideas for the community, you may do so at the Xbox Idea Hub which is on Reddit.

https://www.reddit.com/r/xboxinsiders/wiki/ideas

I hope that this information helps you out!
  6. annix Win User

Elite controller 2 paddles useless ?

Are there any controllers out there which do allow this as an option? Was the Elite Series 2 advertised as having this? Pretty sure it wasn’t. Infact, the paddle functionality is well known, and beloved by a lot of people. I’m sorry if it doesn’t fit your
    needs, but the versatility of the amount of commands that can be mapped to the paddles is absolutely crazy, and definitely goes against any claim of them being “useless”.
Thema:

Enhance paddle mapping for the Xbox Elite Series 2 controller

1. Enhance paddle mapping for the Xbox Elite Series 2 controller - Similar Threads - Enhance paddle mapping

2. Enhance paddle mapping for the Xbox Elite Series 2 controller

in XboX Insiders
    Enhance paddle mapping for the Xbox Elite Series 2 controller: The Elite Series 2 has an interesting feature that allows a paddle button to be remapped to act like a shift key. This feature tells us a bit about the hardware itself. (A) The hardware is capable...
  3. Mandatory Enhancement Upgrades

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Mandatory Enhancement Upgrades: Is there a place where we can request a feature? Because nobody is talking about this and really should. I think it's unacceptable for it to be mandatory now to get the Series X/S enhancement...
  4. Visual glitch with some Xbox series X 'enhanced' games

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Visual glitch with some Xbox series X 'enhanced' games: Dear all, I'm having a very annoying visual glitch when playing certain 'enhanced' games on my Xbox series X. The screen is filled with white or black squares whenever I start up Halo: Infinite...
  5. mouse has mouse acceleration even after turning of enhance pointer precision

in XBoX on Consoles
    mouse has mouse acceleration even after turning of enhance pointer precision: My mouse suddenly has mouse acceleration. I reinstalled the drivers but it doesn't seem to have an effect. The problem started after I installed a mouse modification program called raw accel. I...
  6. Dying light enhanced disc was lost

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Dying light enhanced disc was lost: The game disc was taken out of it's box and no-one has returned it so could I have the digital version of the game because me and my friends play the game on multiplayer and he's been begging me...
  7. Skate 3 Series X enhancements

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Skate 3 Series X enhancements: Hi Xbox, So I’ve recently bought a series X. Loving it, the game pass is amazing and I was previously playing it on a 1080p lcd. This isn’t good enough anymore so I invested in a OLED 4K 120hz...
  8. Splinter Cell games enhanced for the Xbox one x/series X

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Splinter Cell games enhanced for the Xbox one x/series X: I'm a big fan of the 1st 4 splinter cell games, I still have the 1st 4 games from the 2001 Xbox, (it died early 2018). I just watched part of an SCDA video that said enhanced on the header, it was...
  9. Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice is Now Enhanced

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice is Now Enhanced: My game is not updated and I can't update, anyone can help me how to update it? 301c5253-d627-4b16-8a0a-06b8e45f99fa
  10. Xbox Series X - Xbox One (non-enhanced) Games Crashing To Home

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Xbox Series X - Xbox One (non-enhanced) Games Crashing To Home: I ordered a Series X console from the Microsoft Store (online) last month on September 9th. After receiving it, I set up my console for the Delta preview and everything was great for about a week,...