External hard drive detection problems

Discus and support External hard drive detection problems in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; Hello i have been trying to format my 1tb external hard drive to my xbox one with no luck. Ive made sure i have all the requirements but everytime i go... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by cailloukills666, Oct 7, 2019.

1. External hard drive detection problems

Hello i have been trying to format my 1tb external hard drive to my xbox one with no luck. Ive made sure i have all the requirements but everytime i go to check my storage on settings app the app freezes everytime. And if i choose my formatting options
    while already on the storage part of settings it shows my external hard drive as a media storage and doesnt let me switch it to games and apps it stops showing the device once i choose formatting options. Could it be that i need a different usb 3.0

:)

cailloukills666, Oct 7, 2019
  2. gds1972 Win User

External hard drive not formatting on Xbox One

3. StuartATrueRed Win User

Try connecting the hard drive to a PC, and check that there is no issues with it. You can find the tools to do this on the manufacturers website. Then if everything is OK, format the drive on the PC to the NTFS drive format. Once you have done that, connect
    it to the Xbox One, and try formatting it for games and apps.
  4. XS1CkSk1LLZX94 Win User

Try using a different usb port maybe?
  5. cailloukills666 Win User

I have a 3.0 usb i ordered online i keep trying but it doesnt seem to work. Should i maybe try getting a new usb? And i am 100% sure its usb 3.0 because it says it on top of the hard drive itself.
  6. skylaar Win User

For games and apps, the drive must be USB 3.0 and if you are using a USB hub then the hub must also be USB 3.0. If it is less than that the drive will only show up as media storage. The drive also needs to have a partition. Generally it will but some
    drives do not. I had to plug a drive into my computer first and set up a partition before the Xbox would then use it.

More information here:

https://support.xbox.com/en-GB/games/troubleshooting/console-doesnt-detect-external-storage
Thema:

1. External hard drive detection problems - Similar Threads - External hard drive

2. External Hard Drive Problem Seagate 4TB model SRDNONF 1

in XBoX on Consoles
    External Hard Drive Problem Seagate 4TB model SRDNONF 1: Hi Everyone Please can someone Help . i have an External Hard Drive for my X Box . its a Seagate 4 TB unit , ive had it well over a Year and it has at least one Game on it but i carnt seem to...
  3. Internal vs External hard drives

in XBoX on Consoles
    Internal vs External hard drives: Is it better/safer to put my big downloaded games (without a disk) on my external hard drive or my internal hard drive on my xbox? 24e509c1-bf30-40ed-860b-4fffbf38c9be
  4. External Hard Drive Formatting Time

in XBoX on Consoles
    External Hard Drive Formatting Time: So, I just want to know how long it should take to format an external hard drive for games and apps. I have a 2tb hard drive, it has been nearly 2 days and it has still not finished formatting....
  5. Xbox one external hard drive connecting and disconnecting issue

in XBoX Accessibility
    Xbox one external hard drive connecting and disconnecting issue: So i bought a 500 GB xbox one external hard drive and unboxed it and when i unboxed it, i turned on my xbox one and pluged it in. Everything was fine until i tryed to press the format button on my...
  6. how do i download my tv and movies to external hard drive?

in XBoX on Consoles
    how do i download my tv and movies to external hard drive?: how do i download my tv and movies to external hard drive? 768c360d-3ef0-4570-9502-c14b4f73d1d5
  7. Storage management copying on external Hard drives?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Storage management copying on external Hard drives?: My question is I own two Xbox one X since i just bought the new cyberpunk edition and was going to split the externals since i have two plug in to xbox one x and was wondering since if theres a...
  8. External hard drive reading as media only on Xbox One X

in XBoX on Consoles
    External hard drive reading as media only on Xbox One X: I have a brand new from the box 2TB WD Black P50 Game Drive and when i first plugged it in with the USB 3.2 cable it said it was media only. I've since then tried formatting in NTFS, exFAT, FAT32...
  9. Problema xbox one e hard disk esterno / Xbox one and external hard drive problem

in XBoX on Consoles
    Problema xbox one e hard disk esterno / Xbox one and external hard drive problem: Ho una xbox one e ho installato dei giochi sull'hard disk esterno, ma quando tolgo l'hard disk dalla xbox e lo metto su un'altra xbox non mi ritrovo più nessun gioco installato. Succede su...
  10. The xbox series x can't run games on external hard drive anymore right?

in XBoX on Consoles
    The xbox series x can't run games on external hard drive anymore right?: I mean the xbox series x games can't run games on the external hard drive anymore.The xbox series x games,Cyberpunk 2077 fortnite halo infinite assassin's creed valhalla are this xbox series x...