External Hard Drive — Instant On

Discus and support External Hard Drive — Instant On in XboX Insiders to solve the problem; My external WD 8tb drive wants to spin up then down every minute on the dot. This has been happening for some time now I assume, since the previous WD... Discussion in 'XboX Insiders' started by /u/unmistakablyvague, Sep 29, 2019.

1. External Hard Drive — Instant On

My external WD 8tb drive wants to spin up then down every minute on the dot. This has been happening for some time now I assume, since the previous WD 6tb died on me and it wasn't even a couple years old.

I've turned the "When Xbox is off, turn off storage" option, and it still does what it wants. This is a bummer that I can't have instant on turned on or my hard drive will have a very shortened life. Also my updates and push for downloads obviously don't work either.

I have seen other people mention this problem before. I have also reported it as a problem. Just wish I could know if it is something they are working on, or is it just the hard drives?

submitted by /u/unmistakablyvague
    [link] [comments]

/u/unmistakablyvague, Sep 29, 2019
  2. DogRox1 Win User

How to make external hard drive the main download drive?

okay instant on mode is already off because that's your way to get it to work with external hard drive it's an energy mode right now. And I have to keep the x box on in order for it to download to that hard drive. So you're saying leave the instant on mode
    off and keep it on energy mode, and try to download to the internal hard drive? if it works with the external hard drive then it should work with the internal hard drive doing it that way shouldn't it? Because it does work with the external hard drive with
    it on energy mode
  3. pd730 Win User

Kinect stops working randomly. Full Reboot fixes it

Well that's an interesting observation Tosheroon. In my case however, that's not the cause as I always have mine in instant on with an external hard drive.
  4. Tosheroon-DA2C00BF-3 Win User

Kinect stops working randomly. Full Reboot fixes it

I'm having this issue, and have noticed that it only happens when using energy-saving mode AND I start the console with an external hard drive plugged in. If I unplug the external drive first and power on, the kinect operates as it should. Also, if left
    in instant-on mode, the kinect operates fine when resuming with the external drive plugged in.
  5. Njal the Blue Win User

Xbox One Auto Update (NOT)

Are you using instant on or power saving mode? Do you have external hard drives? If you are using power saving mode, auto update will not work.
  6. Puppy Fujo Win User

External drive keeps ticking on and off

Does your external hard drive have a usb port as we as an external power supply or does the Usb power the hard drive itself? Secondly, is it set to instant on or power saving? There have been reports of problems with externally powered drives not getting
    or hearing the go to sleep signal or signal which puts it into standby when console shuts down and therefore stays on. Some will go into standby but not power on again after console is powered back on. What drive are you using?
Thema:

External Hard Drive — Instant On

1. External Hard Drive — Instant On - Similar Threads - External Hard Drive

2. Console shuts down when trying to transfer from external hard drive

in XboX Insiders
    Console shuts down when trying to transfer from external hard drive: Posting this for a friend, because he doesn't use Reddit. Console is shutting down when trying to transfer games from external hard drive. He has 2 external hard drives, both Seagate 8TB, both...
  3. External Hard Drive no longer accessible/showing up

in XBoX on Consoles
    External Hard Drive no longer accessible/showing up: My xbox no longer picks up that my external hard drive is connected. Earlier today there was problems with games taking too long to load, so I power cycled & tried to move data off of the external...
  4. Xbox Game DVR on External Hard drive issue

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox Game DVR on External Hard drive issue: Hello Everyone, have anyone of you faced an issue where your external hard drive is NTFS Formatted and it’s a USB 3.0 storage set for capture but you still have only 2 minutes max of Recording?...
  5. External Hard Drive Problem Seagate 4TB model SRDNONF 1

in XBoX on Consoles
    External Hard Drive Problem Seagate 4TB model SRDNONF 1: Hi Everyone Please can someone Help . i have an External Hard Drive for my X Box . its a Seagate 4 TB unit , ive had it well over a Year and it has at least one Game on it but i carnt seem to...
  6. Internal vs External hard drives

in XBoX on Consoles
    Internal vs External hard drives: Is it better/safer to put my big downloaded games (without a disk) on my external hard drive or my internal hard drive on my xbox? 24e509c1-bf30-40ed-860b-4fffbf38c9be
  7. External Hard Drive Formatting Time

in XBoX on Consoles
    External Hard Drive Formatting Time: So, I just want to know how long it should take to format an external hard drive for games and apps. I have a 2tb hard drive, it has been nearly 2 days and it has still not finished formatting....
  8. Xbox one external hard drive connecting and disconnecting issue

in XBoX Accessibility
    Xbox one external hard drive connecting and disconnecting issue: So i bought a 500 GB xbox one external hard drive and unboxed it and when i unboxed it, i turned on my xbox one and pluged it in. Everything was fine until i tryed to press the format button on my...
  9. how do i download my tv and movies to external hard drive?

in XBoX on Consoles
    how do i download my tv and movies to external hard drive?: how do i download my tv and movies to external hard drive? 768c360d-3ef0-4570-9502-c14b4f73d1d5
  10. Storage management copying on external Hard drives?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Storage management copying on external Hard drives?: My question is I own two Xbox one X since i just bought the new cyberpunk edition and was going to split the externals since i have two plug in to xbox one x and was wondering since if theres a...