External hard drive missing after update

Discus and support External hard drive missing after update in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; August update 8/30/19. Today xbox one x updated and my external hard drive is not recognize anymore? I have un plugged trying other ports, multiple... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by SwedishFU Pump, Sep 2, 2019.

1. External hard drive missing after update

August update 8/30/19.

Today xbox one x updated and my external hard drive is not recognize anymore? I have un plugged trying other ports, multiple restarts of the hard drive and xbox, this sucks its 5t and all my games are there.

There was no issues till the update?

:)

SwedishFU Pump, Sep 2, 2019
  2. Onyx Is Here Win User

Sorry to hear it. If you haven't already try a factory reset on the console to see if that helps. There's an option to keep installed games and apps so you won't need to redownload them and your saves are safe on the Cloud. You can read how to do a reset
    via this link https://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/console/reset-console-to-factory-defaults

If that does not work the issue may lie with the drive itself and may need to be replaced. However, you could try the steps listed below to reformat the drive and then re-attach it to your Xbox. Please be aware that these steps will result in all games
    and apps being deleted from the drive. Your saves will still be safe.

If you need to reformat your external hard drive on the PC please follow the steps below to have the PC recognize the drive.

1. On the PC go to the Start Menu and type Disk Management in the search bar then press enter. If any pop up come up just click Cancel

2. Search for the drive on the list. It should have a red arrow next to it and say that it's not initialized

3. Select Initialize in the pop up menu. Don't change any info on the next menu

4. Right click on the drive and select New Simple Volume

5. Click next on all screens until you see Finish. Click it

From here you should have a notification that you've connected a new hard drive. You can now find it in the PC folder, right click on it and select Format. I would recommend unchecking the option for the fast format and let it do a full one.

You can read the article on how to do the reset via this link
    https://www.gottabemobile.com/how-to-fix-your-hard-drive-after-using-it-for-xbox-one/

One final note. If you do not see an option to Initialize the disc right click on the drive and select Convert to MBR. Others have luck in selecting this option to have the disc be read by the console without reformatting it.
  3. StuartATrueRed Win User

Try plugging your hard drive into your PC to make sure it is recognized on there as well. If not, then download the hard drive tools from the manufacturer website to check to see if the hard drive has any issues which the tools may be able to fix.
  4. AngelObullets Win User

Can't play apex legends because of this error...

Could be the external hard drive causing the issue then it won't be the first time I seen errors appearing after updates on external hard drives. Try installing it on internal drive instead if you can?.
  5. XAimerGamerX Win User

External Hard Drive

seems to a lot of problems with external hard drives after the recent update
  6. M3tal Daz3 Win User

Major issue

Hard reset, remove/add external hard drive, hard reset again.

Are the missing games on the external or internal storage?
Thema:

1. External hard drive missing after update - Similar Threads - External hard drive

2. External Hard Drive Problem Seagate 4TB model SRDNONF 1

in XBoX on Consoles
    External Hard Drive Problem Seagate 4TB model SRDNONF 1: Hi Everyone Please can someone Help . i have an External Hard Drive for my X Box . its a Seagate 4 TB unit , ive had it well over a Year and it has at least one Game on it but i carnt seem to...
  3. Internal vs External hard drives

in XBoX on Consoles
    Internal vs External hard drives: Is it better/safer to put my big downloaded games (without a disk) on my external hard drive or my internal hard drive on my xbox? 24e509c1-bf30-40ed-860b-4fffbf38c9be
  4. External Hard Drive Formatting Time

in XBoX on Consoles
    External Hard Drive Formatting Time: So, I just want to know how long it should take to format an external hard drive for games and apps. I have a 2tb hard drive, it has been nearly 2 days and it has still not finished formatting....
  5. Xbox one external hard drive connecting and disconnecting issue

in XBoX Accessibility
    Xbox one external hard drive connecting and disconnecting issue: So i bought a 500 GB xbox one external hard drive and unboxed it and when i unboxed it, i turned on my xbox one and pluged it in. Everything was fine until i tryed to press the format button on my...
  6. how do i download my tv and movies to external hard drive?

in XBoX on Consoles
    how do i download my tv and movies to external hard drive?: how do i download my tv and movies to external hard drive? 768c360d-3ef0-4570-9502-c14b4f73d1d5
  7. Storage management copying on external Hard drives?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Storage management copying on external Hard drives?: My question is I own two Xbox one X since i just bought the new cyberpunk edition and was going to split the externals since i have two plug in to xbox one x and was wondering since if theres a...
  8. External hard drive reading as media only on Xbox One X

in XBoX on Consoles
    External hard drive reading as media only on Xbox One X: I have a brand new from the box 2TB WD Black P50 Game Drive and when i first plugged it in with the USB 3.2 cable it said it was media only. I've since then tried formatting in NTFS, exFAT, FAT32...
  9. Problema xbox one e hard disk esterno / Xbox one and external hard drive problem

in XBoX on Consoles
    Problema xbox one e hard disk esterno / Xbox one and external hard drive problem: Ho una xbox one e ho installato dei giochi sull'hard disk esterno, ma quando tolgo l'hard disk dalla xbox e lo metto su un'altra xbox non mi ritrovo più nessun gioco installato. Succede su...
  10. The xbox series x can't run games on external hard drive anymore right?

in XBoX on Consoles
    The xbox series x can't run games on external hard drive anymore right?: I mean the xbox series x games can't run games on the external hard drive anymore.The xbox series x games,Cyberpunk 2077 fortnite halo infinite assassin's creed valhalla are this xbox series x...