External hard drive missing after update

Discus and support External hard drive missing after update in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; August update 8/30/19. Today xbox one x updated and my external hard drive is not recognize anymore? I have un plugged trying other ports, multiple... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by SwedishFU Pump, Sep 2, 2019.

1. External hard drive missing after update

August update 8/30/19.

Today xbox one x updated and my external hard drive is not recognize anymore? I have un plugged trying other ports, multiple restarts of the hard drive and xbox, this sucks its 5t and all my games are there.

There was no issues till the update?

:)

SwedishFU Pump, Sep 2, 2019
  2. Onyx Is Here Win User

Sorry to hear it. If you haven't already try a factory reset on the console to see if that helps. There's an option to keep installed games and apps so you won't need to redownload them and your saves are safe on the Cloud. You can read how to do a reset
    via this link https://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/console/reset-console-to-factory-defaults

If that does not work the issue may lie with the drive itself and may need to be replaced. However, you could try the steps listed below to reformat the drive and then re-attach it to your Xbox. Please be aware that these steps will result in all games
    and apps being deleted from the drive. Your saves will still be safe.

If you need to reformat your external hard drive on the PC please follow the steps below to have the PC recognize the drive.

1. On the PC go to the Start Menu and type Disk Management in the search bar then press enter. If any pop up come up just click Cancel

2. Search for the drive on the list. It should have a red arrow next to it and say that it's not initialized

3. Select Initialize in the pop up menu. Don't change any info on the next menu

4. Right click on the drive and select New Simple Volume

5. Click next on all screens until you see Finish. Click it

From here you should have a notification that you've connected a new hard drive. You can now find it in the PC folder, right click on it and select Format. I would recommend unchecking the option for the fast format and let it do a full one.

You can read the article on how to do the reset via this link
    https://www.gottabemobile.com/how-to-fix-your-hard-drive-after-using-it-for-xbox-one/

One final note. If you do not see an option to Initialize the disc right click on the drive and select Convert to MBR. Others have luck in selecting this option to have the disc be read by the console without reformatting it.
  3. StuartATrueRed Win User

Try plugging your hard drive into your PC to make sure it is recognized on there as well. If not, then download the hard drive tools from the manufacturer website to check to see if the hard drive has any issues which the tools may be able to fix.
  4. AngelObullets Win User

Can't play apex legends because of this error...

Could be the external hard drive causing the issue then it won't be the first time I seen errors appearing after updates on external hard drives. Try installing it on internal drive instead if you can?.
  5. M3tal Daz3 Win User

Major issue

Hard reset, remove/add external hard drive, hard reset again.

Are the missing games on the external or internal storage?
  6. ExtraBarrel9 Win User

broken xbox update

My xbox one no longer recognizes my external hard drive after the update.
Thema:

1. External hard drive missing after update - Similar Threads - External hard drive

2. Xbox Update and External Hard drive problen

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox Update and External Hard drive problen: Hello everyone, a few days ago, I ran across a problem which I believe started with the Update on Oct 10. It began when "Events (Beta)" had stopped and failed to install, I did a number of...
  3. Is it safe to leave a seagate external hard drive plugged in all the time(Xbox One)?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Is it safe to leave a seagate external hard drive plugged in all the time(Xbox One)?: Just recently bought one, was just wondering if it is okay to leave my 2tb external hard drive plugged in all the time? 4ccd6009-787e-45ea-852f-c43b4af7c585
  4. External hard drive

in XBoX on Consoles
    External hard drive: When I try to copy or move Grand Theft Auto 5 to my external hard drive it only comes to 0,7% and then stops. Please help 533516b7-5127-4fc4-802b-a322608bbe5e
  5. External hard drive detection problems

in XBoX on Consoles
    External hard drive detection problems: Hello i have been trying to format my 1tb external hard drive to my xbox one with no luck. Ive made sure i have all the requirements but everytime i go to check my storage on settings app the app...
  6. Wireless Xbox One controller won't interact with Xbox with external hard drive plugged in.

in XBoX on Consoles
    Wireless Xbox One controller won't interact with Xbox with external hard drive plugged in.: I have been having problems with my Xbox one wireless controller and the external hard drive. I have figured (out after a long and painful process) that when the EHD is plugged in, the wireless...
  7. External Hard Drive — Instant On

in XboX Insiders
    External Hard Drive — Instant On: My external WD 8tb drive wants to spin up then down every minute on the dot. This has been happening for some time now I assume, since the previous WD 6tb died on me and it wasn't even a couple...
  8. Xbox One X Frequently Not Recognizing Healthy External Hard Drives, and Now...

in XboX Insiders
    Xbox One X Frequently Not Recognizing Healthy External Hard Drives, and Now...: And now, my Xbox is somehow installing Halo 5 Guardians, again. As soon as I put the disk in, it started installing. I assume there is a way to prevent it from making an immediate install of a...
  9. My Xbox won’t read my external hard drive

in XBoX on Consoles
    My Xbox won’t read my external hard drive: I had been using an external hard drive for the past couple of years but today i woke up and the xbox wasnt reading the hard drive i restarted the console and plugged the hard drive to my computer...
  10. External hard drive problem

in XBoX Accessibility
    External hard drive problem: My external hard drive started not working today all it says when i plug it in is (we see your external storage but the connection is too weak to use)ive tried everything but none of it wored and...