External hard drive (USB powered) turns on and off when Xbox Series X is turned off

Discus and support External hard drive (USB powered) turns on and off when Xbox Series X is turned off in XboX Insiders to solve the problem; Its really annoying and the hard drive is getting used when it shouldn't be. We already checked the box that says turn off external drive when powered... Discussion in 'XboX Insiders' started by /u/Infamous_Try_3257, Oct 12, 2021.

1. External hard drive (USB powered) turns on and off when Xbox Series X is turned off

Its really annoying and the hard drive is getting used when it shouldn't be. We already checked the box that says turn off external drive when powered off.

We searched on some forums and can't find any resolution. Does anyone have any ideas please?

Thanks

submitted by /u/Infamous_Try_3257
    [link] [comments]

/u/Infamous_Try_3257, Oct 12, 2021
  2. smw007 Win User

External hard drive malfunction

Is your console an Xbox 360 or Xbox One ?

Double check if the external hard drive is actually being detected, sometimes the USB connection might be loose. If the external hard drive is not detected, turn off the console

and then double check the USB connector is firmly plugged in, then turn console back on and see if external hard drive appears.

Also another thing to check... some brands of external hard drive have a power light when turned on. Check if the power light is on.
  3. BreenX Win User

Game updates downloading only on default drive not the drive the game resides on

Hey, thanks for reaching out! Well, firstly, I have plenty of room on all of my drives, soooooooooooooo that is not a factor. I have my Xbox One X set to stand by as my power setting. And I do have my external drives set to turn off when my Xbox is turned
    off. The "When Xbox is off, turn off the storage" is chosen in my settings. And I have my default drive as my external WD 4TB. With all that said, my Xbox is not choosing where a file is already sitting. And my
    Xbox sees all of my drives all of the time.

I will try the "When Xbox is off, turn off the storage" as unchecked. Maybe that will make a difference . . . but if my default drive is an external drive . . . . and games are downloading there, new and updates . . . . . and "When Xbox is off, turn off
    the storage" is checked . . . why would anything still be put there if "When Xbox is off, turn off the storage" it's off . .. . . ? I do understand the instructions, but as to what that means as far as "when xbox is this, external drives will do this" setting
    it's hard to differentiate. Because you have the xbox that can be completely shut down vs. stand by, and how does those settings inform the "When Xbox is off, turn off the storage" setting. You tell me.

Thanks

B
  4. Jurgen1488 Win User

Xbox One X - USB-powered external drive always on!

Hi there,

Ok read a ton of similar threads but most official microsoft answers thus far seem to either side-step or avoid answering some not quite so direct questions, so I thought I'd ask a bullet proof question....

Console: XBox One X

External Drive: Startech S251BMU313 USB 3.1 external 2.5" enclosure containing a Seagate 1TB hybrid ST1000LX015 drive.

Power settings: set to Full Shutdown.

I've even gone into setting to force a full-shutdown to force this.

Problem..... The external drive NEVER turns off, it's always on, always spinning DESPITE system being set to full off.

No matter what I do I have to physically disconnect the drive from the Xbox in order to switch it off.

I work in the IT field and a tiny little 2.5" consumer hard drive is NOT suitable for an "always-on" environment, this isn't a hardened industrial-use drive like a Seagate IronWolf, it's domestic.

Please tell me what setting I need to change to power off this USB-powered external drive.

Before you say it.... I am NOT using power-saving mode, I have tried this which enables the "provide power to external drives" option and BOTH still leave the drive powered up. I'm using the FULL Shutdown option and still the external drive is foeced to
    spin 24/7.
    Yes, since you have set up the power settings to keep the storage on, it's because you have everything up-to-date whenever you turn on the console when this turns off so everything should be fine and it should go set to turn off USB.
  5. MarsNeedsTacos Win User

Keep getting 'took too long to start' errors

The Xbox One X and S have the same operating system, so don't worry about that. Is this an external drive or the internal drive? If it's external change the power management settings to not turn off power to storage when the system sleeps. Some external
    drives don't cope well with power state changes.
  6. onyxishere Win User

Xbox One downloading while off/instant-on

Are you using an external hard drive? Have you set that to turn off when the console is powered down? If so, that may be the issue.
Thema:

External hard drive (USB powered) turns on and off when Xbox Series X is turned off

1. External hard drive (USB powered) turns on and off when Xbox Series X is turned off - Similar Threads - External hard drive

2. Need help regarding external hard drive on Series X.

in XboX Insiders
    Need help regarding external hard drive on Series X.: I've been using a external hard drive on my series X since launch, I used as a media player, but since today, my Xbox just stopped recognizing it, and it's not my external hard drive problem...
  3. XBOX game pass ultimate games wont install on my external hard drive anymore

in XBoX Games and Apps
    XBOX game pass ultimate games wont install on my external hard drive anymore: Hi! I'm having a problem on installing games on a Windows 10 PC from the XBOX game pass ultimate library. I'm trying to install on my external hard drive. I have set this to be my desired place to...
  4. External hard drive spins up every couple minutes

in XboX Insiders
    External hard drive spins up every couple minutes: I have a western digital 8tb external hard drive hooked up to my series X and I can hear it turn on every few minutes. I have the option "When Xbox is off, Turn off storage" option enabled and it...
  5. Media player app issues for external hard drive

in XboX Insiders
    Media player app issues for external hard drive: Anyone having issues since latest update? Like not working? submitted by /u/Shmeediddy [link] [comments]
  6. External Hard Drive

in XBoX on Consoles
    External Hard Drive: my hard drive is recognized but everytime i try to download a game on it, it says instillation stopped. how do i fix this? 5383ca19-b65a-45d6-918b-32275fb37415
  7. My external hard drive ain’t working

in XBoX Games and Apps
    My external hard drive ain’t working: So i plug it in and it says its connection is too weak i’ve gotten a new cable still nothing. Then when i try to launch any game it sayd took to long to start so i unplug the hard drive and boom...
  8. Where should I download game pass games to ?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Where should I download game pass games to ?: I want to install all game pass games on my Xbox-s system drive to play, but would like to store them long term on a larger rotational drive external drive and just move them to Xbox system drive...
  9. External hard drive is recognized but won't let me play any games

in XBoX Games and Apps
    External hard drive is recognized but won't let me play any games: My Xbox won't play games that are saved to a USB external hard drive. It recognizes it and games and apps show up in my games and apps page. but it won't let me play any of these games. it says...
  10. External Hard Drive Interfering with Wifi

in XBoX on Consoles
    External Hard Drive Interfering with Wifi: Recently I started having internet problems with my Xbox One S. I got a new router about 6 months ago, and no problems occurred, so I don't think it has anything to do with the router. Normally...