External Hard drives not turning off when Xbox One X is off. How to report?

Discus and support External Hard drives not turning off when Xbox One X is off. How to report? in XboX Insiders to solve the problem; Everyone knows (or should know) that unless you have a HDD, or hard drive, specially meant for running 24/7 (a.k.a a RAID/server drive), it shouldn't... Discussion in 'XboX Insiders' started by /u/SenileTomato, Nov 30, 2019 at 7:32 PM.

1. External Hard drives not turning off when Xbox One X is off. How to report?

Everyone knows (or should know) that unless you have a HDD, or hard drive, specially meant for running 24/7 (a.k.a a RAID/server drive), it shouldn't be constantly running.

Obviously, the vast majority of HDDs purchased and used for our extra, external storage of files and games are NOT meant to run constantly. Therefore, I find it surprising, as well as upsetting that when I fully turn off my Xbox One X, they continue to run.

I have changed all settings I know of that could possibly effect this. That includes on instant on mode, checking the box that states "When Xbox is off, turn off storage", and eventually turning the power mode to energy saving.

There have been a couple of times I've noticed the external HDDs no longer running, yet their LED light is still on. I don't believe that is an issue.

But, the majority of the time, they continue to run 24/7. Any suggestions?

submitted by /u/SenileTomato
    [link] [comments]

/u/SenileTomato, Nov 30, 2019 at 7:32 PM
  2. Lakerchickie Win User

External drive keeps ticking on and off

Hi all, i recently noticed that the external hard drive attached to my console began whirring and going silent intermittently while the system is off. This has not been normal for my system and only began today. Anyone else notice this, and is it
    a problem?
    I have the SAME PROBLEM..I have the XBOX ONE X and a Western Digital 8TB USB/Adapter external hard drive..I always keep my xbox one x on instant on mode but everything is unchecked, like searching for updates, etc..so that it will NOT turn on I do it manually,
    its checked off to turn off the xbox one when turned off, never had an issue til the recent update, when off the hard drive every few minutes will make a tick sound and a hum sound then turn off..every few min, thought it was the hard drive, reformatted it
    yesterday, did the same darn thing, so I put the xbox one x into energy saving mode and guess what, PROBLEM SOLVED..but I cant stand energy save mode, so its something to do with this update and the hard drive with instant on mode, not sure what it is but
    its VERY annoying wish someone could figure it out
  3. smw007 Win User

External hard drive malfunction

Is your console an Xbox 360 or Xbox One ?

Double check if the external hard drive is actually being detected, sometimes the USB connection might be loose. If the external hard drive is not detected, turn off the console

and then double check the USB connector is firmly plugged in, then turn console back on and see if external hard drive appears.

Also another thing to check... some brands of external hard drive have a power light when turned on. Check if the power light is on.
  4. C L 0 V I 5 Win User

"When Xbox is off, turn off storage"

I'm sorry. I'm not good at wording questions lol I also failed to ask specifically, what would be the key differences with how the Xbox One uses the external hard drive when I select/deselect the option "When Xbox is off, turn off storage" under Instant
    On?"
  5. PowerGlovePixel Win User

xbox one stand by

i got another question if you have a external hard drive and the system is set to stand by....is it good to check box that says turn hard drive when xbox one is off does anybody thanks
  6. MarsNeedsTacos Win User

Keep getting 'took too long to start' errors

The Xbox One X and S have the same operating system, so don't worry about that. Is this an external drive or the internal drive? If it's external change the power management settings to not turn off power to storage when the system sleeps. Some external
    drives don't cope well with power state changes.
Thema:

External Hard drives not turning off when Xbox One X is off. How to report?

1. External Hard drives not turning off when Xbox One X is off. How to report? - Similar Threads - External Hard drives

2. External Hard drive game recovery, and Format storage device error

in XBoX on Consoles
    External Hard drive game recovery, and Format storage device error: I have had a 2 TB seagate external storage device for about a year now, this past Saturday I came back from vacation to my xbox telling me I needed to format my storage device, and saying it was...
  3. Is my XBox One S External Hard Drive going to be compatible with the XBOX One X?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Is my XBox One S External Hard Drive going to be compatible with the XBOX One X?: Is my XBox One S External Hard Drive going to be compatible with the XBOX One X? My One S system died after only 2 years so now I am looking to replace it with the One X. We had been using an...
  4. external hard drive issues

in XBoX on Consoles
    external hard drive issues: So I recently had my xbox die on me, when I purchased a new one i took the old hard drive from my xbox out and put it in a sabrent external harddrive case. however my xbox one x wont notice it so...
  5. Xbox Companion App (PC) - Game installed on external hard-drive how to add

in XBoX on Windows
    Xbox Companion App (PC) - Game installed on external hard-drive how to add: I installed a game on an external hard drive and am trying to figure out how to play it now through the xbox companion on PC. I don't know how to do this so if anyone knows please let me know. Its...
  6. external hard disk drive on the xbox one s digital edition

in XBoX on Consoles
    external hard disk drive on the xbox one s digital edition: Hi there can you use an external hard disk drive on the Xbox one S digital edition or would my various disk games are now useless now that I've been given the Xbox One S digital edition. Thank...
  7. External hard drive is not being detected

in XBoX Accessibility
    External hard drive is not being detected: my seagate 4 tb hard drive isnt working and i have hard reset my console and unplugged it and replugged it in and it wont work 10e97246-18e5-48a4-acf0-5be8cbaa9978
  8. My external hard drive is not turning off. Does any have thisproblem or just my console?...

in XboX Insiders
    My external hard drive is not turning off. Does any have thisproblem or just my console?...: [IMG] submitted by /u/Deadmandoom963 [link] [comments]
  9. External hard drive

in XboX Networking Hardware
    External hard drive: External hard drive Hi, Gibby here! I have no current knowledge or experience on this subject matter, and I am horribly sorry to hear about this problem affecting you.. Here is the Xbox support...
  10. External hard drive and how to switch bewteen consoles

in XBoX on Consoles
    External hard drive and how to switch bewteen consoles: Tryibg to let my son use my hard drive. But when i plug the hard drive into his xbox it will detect and not show any games or let us transfer games. My account is on both xboxes. How am i to let...