External HDD always remains powered even when the console is off.

Discus and support External HDD always remains powered even when the console is off. in XboX Insiders to solve the problem; I have the console in power saving mode, after the last ALPHA ring update I noticed that when I turn off the console my external HDD Seagate USB 3.2... Discussion in 'XboX Insiders' started by /u/MaStRa91, Jan 15, 2022 at 9:12 AM.

1. /u/MaStRa91
    /u/MaStRa91 Guest

I have the console in power saving mode, after the last ALPHA ring update I noticed that when I turn off the console my external HDD Seagate USB 3.2 RGB firecuda 2TB always remains powered the front LED of the HDD continues to flash. Before the last update it never did. I have also already reported the problem from the console.

submitted by /u/MaStRa91
    [link] [comments]

2. DENAz666 Win User

"When Xbox is off, turn off storage"

From what I have read, when external HDD's were first introduced they would always stay on, so this option was for those hard drives that would remain on even while the xbox was off :)
  3. stevenstrange2 Win User

October 2018 xbox one s update problem

Hi there

I tried that power cycle it didn't work my external he'd still coming on then off. I even tried putting it in the other usb port on back of console still does same thing in both usb ports. Now my external hdd won't go off it's staying on even when console
    off
  4. Njal the Blue Win User

External HDD spins and stops repeatedly

You can turn off the external HDDs when the console is off by going to settings>power & startup>power & startup mode and stopping the HDD drive staying on when console is off.

If your console is in instant on and set to keep all games and apps up to date this means that the HDD will power up/stay on to download whilst off.
  5. General Boredom Win User

External storage problem after latest system update

My external HDD is doing this wether the option is checked or not, but only while my Xbox is in standby mode. The only way it remains off is if my Xbox is completely powered down.
  6. UnrealIncognito Win User

Xbox just keeps spinning the external HDDs when in Quick start mode.

There is an option in the settings, can't remember where to get the xbox to power down an external HDD when the console is of. I think it only works with HDD that don't have an external power supply.

If it is on with one with external power supply then I would say something is wrong as mine doesn't spin up while the Xbox is off unless it's downloading an update for a game.
Thema:

1. External HDD always remains powered even when the console is off. - Similar Threads - External HDD always

2. Xbox External HDD for Captures

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox External HDD for Captures: I formatted my drive to NTFS on my chromebook, plugged it in, selected use for captures, and my xbox didn't give me any notifications. I looked in my capture locations and there was only internal...
  3. Xbox One can't detect my 4TB SEAGATE External HDD

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox One can't detect my 4TB SEAGATE External HDD: I got the External HDD on sale during Black Friday and it stopped being detected about a month later looking for help. I've unplugged and plugged cords back in, tried different USB slots did a...
  4. Windows not detecting games on External HDD

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Windows not detecting games on External HDD: Hello, Recently I had to reset my PC, I have games on My External Drive but the Xbox app is not detecting it, I can't delete the WindowsApp Folder and Formatting the drive will force me to have...
  5. Xbox won't read my external HDD

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox won't read my external HDD: I formatted my 2TB Drive for NTFS on my chromebook, when I plug it into my Xbox, It gives a Format Device screen, I want to use my drive for captures so I choose Use for Media. It doesn't give a...
  6. Unable to play supported xbox games on xbox360 Core with official Microsoft external HDD

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Unable to play supported xbox games on xbox360 Core with official Microsoft external HDD: I'm trying to play Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (also trying Hulk) on my xbox360 Core (it's a white xbox360 with a white disk drive slot, manufactured in 2006). Both are under the list of...
  7. Series X External HDD

in XBoX on Consoles
    Series X External HDD: For a few days now, when my seagate 4Tb (xbox official) external HD is plugged into any of the USB ports on the series x. My games don't load, my sync button doesn't work and sometimes reads no...
  8. Xbox Series S only recognizes external HDD as a Media Drive/ No Formatting Option

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox Series S only recognizes external HDD as a Media Drive/ No Formatting Option: Hey All, I recently bought a Toshiba Canvio Ready Portable External Hard Drive 1TB and I plugged it into my Xbox Series S to store last gen games. I saw on various videos when you plug in an...
  9. No Visible Game Updates With External HDD Plugged In

in XBoX on Consoles
    No Visible Game Updates With External HDD Plugged In: I have an external HDD (2TB Seagate Backup Plus) plugged into my Series X. It is full of games. When it is plugged in and I go to 'My Games & Apps' and then 'Manage Updates', it spins for a few...
  10. My Xbox gamepass for PC wont find my external HDD

in XBoX Games and Apps
    My Xbox gamepass for PC wont find my external HDD: I have been having trouble installing games to my E: drive. When I click install game it only finds my C: drive even if I set my E: drive to default. Really not been impressed with the amount...