External hdd connection too weak to use

Discus and support External hdd connection too weak to use in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; i have had 2 different external hdd's, both 4tb WD My Books over the last 5 years or so I believe. Both of them have run into the error code above. My... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by Ginniss, Jul 3, 2020.

1. Ginniss
    Ginniss Guest

i have had 2 different external hdd's, both 4tb WD My Books over the last 5 years or so I believe. Both of them have run into the error code above. My current drive replaced the older one when the problem got so bad I couldn't even delete games off my external.
    They are externally powered and plugged into one of the usb ports on the back of my xbox one s. In the beginning it's just an annoyance, but then starts the storage issues. My second hdd is now at the point where the xbox recognizes it's plugged in and I can
    view it's contents from the settings on my xbone, but anything new I download is only going to my internal drive. If I try to transfer from internal to external, it treats it like there isn't a drive there or it can't do it. I am willing to bet if I hook up
    the external to my pc it'll find the drive. On the old drive, I formatted it on my pc to wipe it after a lot of troubleshooting, since the xbox wouldn't find it, hooked it back up and formatted on the xbox itself and it worked for a little while, then went
    back to having the same issues. I'm tired of buying a new external every couple years for my xbox one, spending over $100 each time, just to have it no longer work on my xbox, but work fine on my pc. I don't need another external for my pc, so it's basically
    a 4tb paperweight. What is wrong with your os or xbox that this keeps happening?

I'll also add that I can play the games that are on the external, but if I try to manage add ons or view the contents, it'll look like nothing is installed, regardless of how much dlc or whatever might be there.

:)

Ginniss, Jul 3, 2020
    1 person likes this.
  2. brownt21390 Win User

ox8082000d: External storage connection too weak

Hi again,

I've power cycled the xbox and completed a soft reset.

The HDD is responding as normal and intended.

The SDD is recognized by only the right USB port when looking at the back, not the left. After being recognized for a few seconds, it disappears and cannot be accessed.

I tried swapping out for two separate cables, yet with both of these, the same error code is displayed.

As of now, it will not recognize the SDD at all, but the HDD is working properly.
  3. XBF Crystal P Win User

Hi there brownt21390,

Thanks for the update. In reference to your question, what we would like to do is isolate the issue. We recommend disconnecting the hard drives and trying the following:

1. Hard Reset the console
      • Turn off your console by holding the Xbox button on the front of the console for approximately 10 seconds. The console will turn off.
    2. Power cycle the console
      (Disconnect and reconnect your console's power cable)
    3. Factory reset - Keep Games & Apps to help refresh the operating system of the Xbox.
    These steps help troubleshoot the console alone. If after connecting the HD and the issue persists, I recommend trying a different USB cable for the drive or contact the HD manufacturer for more troubleshooting steps.

Hope this helps.
  4. XBF Crystal P Win User

Hi
    there brownt,

Thanks for reaching out here in Xbox Forums. I understand there is an issue with the connectivity of the hard drives
    on the Xbox console. I recommend trying a power cycle
    of the console.

If the problem persists, try doing a
    soft factory reset of the console,
    Reset and keep games and apps to help reset the operating system. Please note before doing this troubleshooting step, make sure to know your email and passwords for your Xbox profiles.

Try this out first and let us know the results.
  5. XBF Crystal P Win User

6. brownt21390 Win User

Hi,

I have yet to do a hard reset, but I do have another update.

I currently only the SSD plugged in. I've been playing one game for about the last half hour, one that is currently installed on the SSD.

Twice now, I've lost the connection to the SSD, which obviously results in a hard shutdown of the game. I'm able to unplug the SDD, replug it back in, and the device is then recognized and ready.

How can I stop this from being a common occurrence? Do you still suggest the same troubleshoot with a soft reset?
Thema:

1. External hdd connection too weak to use - Similar Threads - External hdd connection

2. Xbox series x external HDD storage connecting and disconnecting with multiple storage ready...

in XboX Insiders
    Xbox series x external HDD storage connecting and disconnecting with multiple storage ready...: On series x since latest skip ahead build my external drive is connecting and disconnecting several times with the storage ready notification happening over and over until i unplug the drive and...
  3. WiFi doesn’t work after connecting an External Drive (SDD or HDD)

in XBoX on Consoles
    WiFi doesn’t work after connecting an External Drive (SDD or HDD): Hello everyone, I notice, on my XBOX ONE S that after connecting an external drive (sdd or hdd doesn’t really matter) the WiFi Interface is not working properly is losing the connection and it...
  4. "No files found" when connecting External 2TB HDD

in XBoX on Consoles
    "No files found" when connecting External 2TB HDD: Hey guys, I've been trying to connect my Western Digital 2TB external HDD to my Xbox One and it recognises it immediately. It allows me to select whether I want to use it as a media device or as...
  5. Xbox One Not Connecting To Internet And External HDD

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox One Not Connecting To Internet And External HDD: Hello My XboxOne has been recently slow or sometimes doesn’t connect to internet and the external hard drive. I have to manually connect to the internet and disconnect HDD and reconnect for it to...
  6. Xbox One messing up with External HDD connected

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox One messing up with External HDD connected: Hi, I have 2 external HDDs, a 500GB one and 750GB one, both are USB 3.0. The 500GB one I've had for about a year now and it was working fine until about 3 months ago, I have tested the 750GB HDD...
  7. Xbox start up is slow, and the external HDD won't connect.

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox start up is slow, and the external HDD won't connect.: External HDD won't connect to my console, also the games are taking too long to start. I've tried to restart the console and power cycle the whole system, also the black screen will pop up every...
  8. Connecting External HDD to XBOX 360 E

in XBoX on Consoles
    Connecting External HDD to XBOX 360 E: Can I connect external hdd from other manufacturers like WD, seagate ect to XBOX 360 E to save the games ? 5723b9b1-0b78-4d8a-b48a-71651168303b
  9. My Xbox one only shows installed games on external HDD with system connected to internet.

in XBoX on Consoles
    My Xbox one only shows installed games on external HDD with system connected to internet.: Title says it all.My Xbox one only shows installed games on external HDD with system connected to internet.Is this normal? add27aef-fcf8-43dc-bebe-f1156f5ed336
  10. A Question about Connecting External HDD's.

in XBoX on Consoles
    A Question about Connecting External HDD's.: I am not sure if this goes here or not (if it doesn't you have my sincere apologies). Anyways, here is my situation: I'm running out of room on my 250GB HDD on my Xbox 360, so I'm connecting my...