External HDD not powering off with the console. Even in power save mode.

Discus and support External HDD not powering off with the console. Even in power save mode. in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; Just piggybacking on a question posted by someone else:... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by EarthYew9933465, May 16, 2019.

1. External HDD not powering off with the console. Even in power save mode.

Just piggybacking on a question posted by someone else: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...n-i-turn/2b16dc4a-45ad-4b78-bab9-eb2e59d614fe

I am experiencing pretty much the same issue. My external HDD (mine is a Western Digital My passport 4TB) doesn't power off with the console. I tried a few things like adjusting the power-up settings to

1. Instant on, with the option to "Turn off the external hard drive when the console is turned off" checked.

2. Power save mode, with the Auto-update feature, turned off.

Neither helped. The only time my HDD powers down (stops spinning) is when I turn off the power on my spike buster. I can literally hear my HDD powering down/stop spinning.

Anyone else experiences the same issue? Even though it stops spinning upon powering off the spike buster, I am not sure if my HDD will wear down due to abruptly turning it off by cutting out the power source.

Thanks in advance for your time and insights.

:)

EarthYew9933465, May 16, 2019
  2. EarthYew9933465 Win User

Thank you all for your responses. Much appreciated! I tried turning off
    two things - both the option to "Keep games and apps up to date",
    and "Keep the Xbox up to date" (with patches, etc)

That did it. My external HDD now turns off with my Xbox. BUT (there always is), it flashes every few seconds. I can see it "blink" which seemingly suggests stand-by mode. It doesn't spin, but seems like is still "on".

I read somewhere else that this is normal. But expert opinions like the ones from above might help further. I suppose the external hard drive being in "stand by" mode is just fine, and won't really impact its longevity?
    Is there a reason you want the drive not on

Yeah, I have a few other devices connected to the same spike buster. Let's say I don't turn my Xbox on (watching TV or playing on a different console for example). The External HDD still spins up and continues to spin. What's worse, if I forget to turn off
    my spike buster overnight, then the drive keeps spinning and never stops.

Now, some might deem this fine - but it bothers me, and I have a feeling it plays a role (as insignificant as it may arguably be) in its longevity.
  3. NinjaLunchBox79 Win User

Mine stays on, been like this since I had my Xbox One. So yea since launch!!!
  4. EarthYew9933465 Win User

Mine does the same thing but it really isn't anything to worry about. You should get years of use out of that drive.
    Thank you for your response. Yeah, that's what I am hoping too!
  5. {Parity} Win User

Mine does the same thing but it really isn't anything to worry about. You should get years of use out of that drive.
  6. EarthYew9933465 Win User

Thank you all for your responses. Much appreciated! I tried turning off
    two things - both the option to "Keep games and apps up to date",
    and "Keep the Xbox up to date" (with patches, etc)

That did it. My external HDD now turns off with my Xbox. BUT (there always is), it flashes every few seconds. I can see it "blink" which seemingly suggests stand-by mode. It doesn't spin, but seems like is still "on".

I read somewhere else that this is normal. But expert opinions like the ones from above might help further. I suppose the external hard drive being in "stand by" mode is just fine, and won't really impact its longevity?
Thema:

1. External HDD not powering off with the console. Even in power save mode. - Similar Threads - External HDD powering

2. [xbox one s] External HDD inaccessible since June system update!

in XBoX on Consoles
    [xbox one s] External HDD inaccessible since June system update!: I don't understand why the dev team has to go break things for no good reason. * Nothing wrong with the USB3.0 ports * Nothing wrong with the Ext. HDD * Nothing wrong with the power supplies *...
  3. New external HHD will not work saying it needs USB 3.0 when it is.

in XBoX on Consoles
    New external HHD will not work saying it needs USB 3.0 when it is.: I have now purchased 2 different external HHD's for my XBOX one S, both are well over 256GB and both USB 3.0. One of the HDD was a 2TB and that told me that I needed one with 256GB storage or...
  4. External HDD issues Alpha Skip Ahead

in XboX Insiders
    External HDD issues Alpha Skip Ahead: has anyone had issues with their external hard drive where it will not show the games but it will list the number of games near the Games info in games & apps. i have tried the drive on another...
  5. External HDD Not Being Recognized?

in XboX Insiders
    External HDD Not Being Recognized?: I just finished moving and I just set up all my consoles but for some reason my External HDD is not being recognized? I’ve tried power cycle. Every form of plugging out and in, turning on and off....
  6. Update issue with external hdd

in XBoX on Consoles
    Update issue with external hdd: Since July 2019 update, my Xbox x will not recognize my wd external hdd. I have done all steps already as per your site with no luck. Help please. Used my friends seagate hdd and it was...
  7. Installing a game on both external and internal HDD causes bugs?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Installing a game on both external and internal HDD causes bugs?: Hello, Unsure if this is related to the game developer and/or its both xbox and game dev. In this game called "state of decay 2" I had the game installed on both - which caused a lot of bugs...
  8. External hdd troubles.

in XBoX on Consoles
    External hdd troubles.: Hi all. I am experiencing the most weird thing I have ever seen on my console. I have the xbox one s 1tb. I have an external 1tb hdd that I have been using for a while no problems. I have a 2nd...
  9. External HDD won't powered down on Xbox one

in XBoX on Consoles
    External HDD won't powered down on Xbox one: Hi, sorry about this as I know this thread been done before but I just want to make sure I haven't missed anything reading many pages on the forum and as the subject suggest I'm having issues...
  10. Another External HDD question. Can it be USB powered or better if self powered?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Another External HDD question. Can it be USB powered or better if self powered?: Hello I am looking at getting an external drive. I am just wondering if it is better to get a self powered drive or can the XBOX handle the additional power consumption of a USB powered drive?...