External HDD not powering off with the console. Even in power save mode.

Discus and support External HDD not powering off with the console. Even in power save mode. in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; Just piggybacking on a question posted by someone else:... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by EarthYew9933465, May 16, 2019 at 9:13 AM.

1. External HDD not powering off with the console. Even in power save mode.

Just piggybacking on a question posted by someone else: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...n-i-turn/2b16dc4a-45ad-4b78-bab9-eb2e59d614fe

I am experiencing pretty much the same issue. My external HDD (mine is a Western Digital My passport 4TB) doesn't power off with the console. I tried a few things like adjusting the power-up settings to

1. Instant on, with the option to "Turn off the external hard drive when the console is turned off" checked.

2. Power save mode, with the Auto-update feature, turned off.

Neither helped. The only time my HDD powers down (stops spinning) is when I turn off the power on my spike buster. I can literally hear my HDD powering down/stop spinning.

Anyone else experiences the same issue? Even though it stops spinning upon powering off the spike buster, I am not sure if my HDD will wear down due to abruptly turning it off by cutting out the power source.

Thanks in advance for your time and insights.

:)

EarthYew9933465, May 16, 2019 at 9:13 AM
  2. SoG JJKILLERs Win User

This is normal the usb port will have power the box that says something about powering off the hhd when off is for the internal hhd only. Also the amount of "extra" ware on the hhd is not going to shorten the life be any noticable amount
  3. {Parity} Win User

Once you have your options set like you want them. Try performing a hard reset EXACTLY like this. Hold the power button on the console for 8 seconds or until the power shuts down completely. Unplug the power cord from the back of the console for 5 minutes.
    Plug the power cord back in and restart the console.
  4. Alucario Ultra Win User

Hello,

Apparently it´s a recurrent issue, and what I always says is:

It´s look like Power problem, you may want to:

>Buy a new enclosure, with 2 USB connection (for more power) or with a external power source.

>Check your USB cable.

>Try using another HD with lower capacity.

>Try using your HD in another console.

>Do not use USB extensors or hubs, those drain power.

>Try hard resetting your console.

Luck.
  5. XBF Nestor S Win User

Hey there Earth thanks for taking the time to bring this issue to us.

Short answer is this is normal. The HDD is and console are constantly looking for updates and stay on to do so. This, in a way, insures that when the user (us) turns on the console the games and console are ready to play. Also, as stated on our

Xbox One Power Supply page
    , the best course of action would be to have the console directly plugged into the wall. We hope this helps but let us know if we can further assist in this or any other issue.
  6. Njal the Blue Win User

External HDD spins and stops repeatedly

You can turn off the external HDDs when the console is off by going to settings>power & startup>power & startup mode and stopping the HDD drive staying on when console is off.

If your console is in instant on and set to keep all games and apps up to date this means that the HDD will power up/stay on to download whilst off.
Thema:

1. External HDD not powering off with the console. Even in power save mode. - Similar Threads - External HDD powering

2. Xbox One X - External HDD for Recording Clips

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Xbox One X - External HDD for Recording Clips: Hello Guys. I have a question. I have bought External HardDrive, but I need to keep here some of my personal data (just documents). Is it possible to use it as a media HardDrive for recording...
  3. Will the Xbox 360 support 2 2 TB external hard disks or just 1 2 tb hdd

in XBoX on Consoles
    Will the Xbox 360 support 2 2 TB external hard disks or just 1 2 tb hdd: the xbox 360 will support a 2 TB external hdd. I have seen on the internet that it will support 2 hdds. is that accurate? 54187aa2-1b26-4b2c-88c3-32ef78122e29
  4. External hdd

in XBoX on Consoles
    External hdd: Good day I have a 2Tb external hdd that is already connected to the xbox one console and there is games installed on it. I want to replace the internal hdd with the 2Tb. My question is .. Do i...
  5. External HDD spins and stops repeatedly

in XBoX on Consoles
    External HDD spins and stops repeatedly: Yesterday I connected my 3TB WD My Book Essential to my XBox One S and transferred all games to it. It works perfectly when I play games! Unfortunately when I turn off the console the external...
  6. Copy files from Mac to Xbox One external HDD ?

in XBoX Accessibility
    Copy files from Mac to Xbox One external HDD ?: If I plug an external HDD into the Xbox One can I share it so I can copy files from my iMac to the HDD ? Searched Google but could only find setup for file streaming. It has Mac DNS settings so I...
  7. external 3TB hdd drive fail

in XBoX on Consoles
    external 3TB hdd drive fail: The external drive is not recognized, before spending a ton of time on an old hdd drive I will upgrade to ssd. question is whether my game progress is saved in the cloud, as have always been Xbox...
  8. Internet disconnects whenever I remove or plug in an external HDD

in XBoX on Consoles
    Internet disconnects whenever I remove or plug in an external HDD: Self explanatory, but my console is off when I do so (Xbox One S) I don't do it often for this reason a80162b1-02df-4afb-9548-45cdec027412
  9. External HDD won't powered down on Xbox one

in XBoX on Consoles
    External HDD won't powered down on Xbox one: Hi, sorry about this as I know this thread been done before but I just want to make sure I haven't missed anything reading many pages on the forum and as the subject suggest I'm having issues...
  10. Another External HDD question. Can it be USB powered or better if self powered?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Another External HDD question. Can it be USB powered or better if self powered?: Hello I am looking at getting an external drive. I am just wondering if it is better to get a self powered drive or can the XBOX handle the additional power consumption of a USB powered drive?...