External HDD not working as capture destination

Discus and support External HDD not working as capture destination in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; Hi there! I have a Seagate external HDD 1TB 3.0 that I used to plug in my One S to record longer gameplay sessions. Now the same HDD doesn't work with... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by FlávioLanza, Jan 26, 2021.

1. FlávioLanza
    FlávioLanza Guest

Hi there!

I have a Seagate external HDD 1TB 3.0 that I used to plug in my One S to record longer gameplay sessions. Now the same HDD doesn't work with my Series X. I've already formatted it as NTFS. The SX recognizes it, I choose use it for media, but then the SX
    renames the HDD to "EFI" and when I click to use it for media, it says I have to format it first. I've done it 10 times already. Please, help! Thanks!

:)

FlávioLanza, Jan 26, 2021
  2. Jeff Jenkins
    Jeff Jenkins New Member
    I have exactly the same issue - the disk is formatted correctly as NTFS and is recognised as such on a windows 10 PC and on the disk is recognised on the Xbox and I selected "Media" when prompted. I can see the drive under the storage section listed as "EFI" and can read any media files that have been written to the file by a PC but when i try and set it as the game capture device the Xbox says it must be formatted as NTFS and will not set it as the game capture device. I think this is a bug in the operating system.

Jeff Jenkins, Oct 6, 2021
  3. Jeff Jenkins
    Jeff Jenkins New Member
    I worked it out - you need to use a partitioning tool (Not the windows disk manager) to remove the EFI partition and optionally merge the space it used with the main partition. Then you can set it as the capture device from the storage menu and successfully save clips there.

Jeff Jenkins, Oct 6, 2021
  4. Frathos Win User

Xbox had system update last night now it's not recognizing external hard drive

What are you using the external HDD for (Games & Apps or External Captures)? Are you in the Dashboard Preview program?

If External Captures and yes to Dashboard Preview then please use the report feature of the Xbox Insider app to let them know about your issue. My console is in Preview Alpha and I noticed that the last update seems to have affected how it sees my External
    Capture HDD.

If your console isn't in Dashboard Preview then try connecting your HDD to a computer to see if it's recognized there. It may be a coincidence however unfortunately HDD'S do die eventually.
  5. creamer8141 Win User

Xbox one x 4k Hdr/Sdr capturing no more :(

I know these all steps and my all settings are good. I also capturing in my external 1tb hdd with 3.0

I also did hard reset but it's still not working.
  6. X Farscape X Win User

Recording to External Drives with Xbox Game Bar

yep, create a folder called captures on your external hdd then right click on the capture folder where it is now (usually under video) and click properties, then click the tab that states location, then click find a target and select that new folder on the external drive. job done.
  7. Frathos Win User

Can you not use a 4TB hard disk for capturing clips on Xbox One X?

I just tried adding my Seagate Backup Plus portable USB3 hard disk with 3TB capacity for game capture purposes and it appears to work (I was able to assign it as capture location...haven't tried capturing any game play yet) as a capture location.

After you initialize and format your external HDD on your PC, did you create any folders on the external storage? In case it matters, I didn't after selecting GPT - Simple volume and format as NTFS with no file/folder compression enabled (in case the latter
    matters).

Did you rename your external drive during the format process? In case it matters, I did on mine and called it XBOXCLIPS1.

When you connected the HDD to the console, did it prompt you to use the drive for game or media storage? I selected media storage.

Did you go into Settings - System - Storage, select the HDD and then select Set as capture location? I did this in case it matters or is different than doing it via Settings - Preferences - Capture & share - Capture location (this UI location is also displayed
    when using Xbox nexus button - move right to Capture & share - move down to Capture settings).

Good luck!
  8. RippenHarra Win User

DVR game capture still an uncertainty

Yes check the Internet or google search @ace external capture devices are allowed but only for game capture meaning if your playing a bluray movie HDCP Will kick in. Your games are suing off the HDD so no problem with HDCP
Thema:

1. External HDD not working as capture destination - Similar Threads - External HDD working

2. Updating to series X version from a one version on external hdd does not work very well.

in XboX Insiders
    Updating to series X version from a one version on external hdd does not work very well.: Yesterday I updated Gears 5 and Forza Horizon 4 for the series X. Both games were from my one X on an external HDD, both games got moved on the internal SSD in the process. Since they needed...
  3. WiFi doesn’t work after connecting an External Drive (SDD or HDD)

in XBoX on Consoles
    WiFi doesn’t work after connecting an External Drive (SDD or HDD): Hello everyone, I notice, on my XBOX ONE S that after connecting an external drive (sdd or hdd doesn’t really matter) the WiFi Interface is not working properly is losing the connection and it...
  4. External hdd not working after update

in XBoX on Consoles
    External hdd not working after update: My external hdd not working after new update. Working fine with laptop. Xbox one x unable to format external hdd for games. 17d4b023-ab20-43b2-931c-522263b95e5f
  5. New external HHD will not work saying it needs USB 3.0 when it is.

in XBoX on Consoles
    New external HHD will not work saying it needs USB 3.0 when it is.: I have now purchased 2 different external HHD's for my XBOX one S, both are well over 256GB and both USB 3.0. One of the HDD was a 2TB and that told me that I needed one with 256GB storage or...
  6. Old XBONE HDD removed, can't get it to work as external drive

in XBoX on Consoles
    Old XBONE HDD removed, can't get it to work as external drive: So here's the story: Original Xbox one stopped working about a year after I bought it (brand new), spent 12 months after that trying to get it to turn on without success from me or Microsoft...
  7. Xbox One external HDD suddenly stopped working

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox One external HDD suddenly stopped working: Good day team Microsoft, I was playing Assasins Creed Origin this afternoon. The game is saved on my external harddisk drive and suddenly my Xbox closed Assasins Creed and my E xternal Harddisk...
  8. Xbox One X (Project Scorpio) - Keeps Crashing To Dashboard, External HDD only works on front ...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox One X (Project Scorpio) - Keeps Crashing To Dashboard, External HDD only works on front ...: Hi all, after a long wait in today for my Project Scorpio Edition of the new console, I have been unable to play the games for any longer than a couple of minutes. The games I have been trying...
  9. Will different types of External HDD's work on Xbox One?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Will different types of External HDD's work on Xbox One?: So I know that for an External HDD to work on Xbox One it must be a 3.0 and have a certain amount of space, however my reasoning for making this a discussion and not something in support is, I...
  10. xbox360 external usb HDD still not any brand working?

in XBoX on Consoles
    xbox360 external usb HDD still not any brand working?: hi, i am just curious.. is this still the case that only special USB media (2TB or 4TB) is working using the xbox360, or is this old news? i would like to buy an USB hdd but would avoid the xtra...