External SSD Alpha Build

Discus and support External SSD Alpha Build in XboX Insiders to solve the problem; The Alpha build that was pushed yesterday made my external SSD unreadable by my Xbox One X Scorpio Edition. I tried different cables, different... Discussion in 'XboX Insiders' started by /u/Guiermo487, Nov 7, 2019.

1. External SSD Alpha Build

The Alpha build that was pushed yesterday made my external SSD unreadable by my Xbox One X Scorpio Edition. I tried different cables, different external cases and nothing worked.

I even plugged it into 2 different Windows 10 machines. They saw the USB controller of the external cases, but it did not see the drive.

Finally I took it to my Mac, and it saw the drive as an unrecognizable drive and asked me to format it. I went ahead formatted it to APFS. Then I took it back to my Xbox and it saw it and then formatted it to the Xbox FS.

I am now reinstalling all the games that were on it. Not complaining, but want people to be aware of it.

submitted by /u/Guiermo487
    [link] [comments]

/u/Guiermo487, Nov 7, 2019
  2. NxtDoc1851 Win User

External Hard Drive. Which one?

Geez cell phones. I meant Seagate is top notch. WD great too. SSD is great, but you have to "build" your own housing. The Seagate Barracuda is outstanding for SSD. But if you are not wanting to build you own housing, then you should go to the Seagate
    expansion external hard drive. Major Nelson is currently using the Seagate Expansion and says it works great

Missed my edit window.
  3. Turaeon Win User

Rise of the Tomb Raider only starts with DLC installed, if console is switched offline.

If anyone is interested, we managed to find that the problem only occurs if the game is installed on an external ssd.

If the game is moved from the ssd to the internal hdd the problem does not occur. Formating the ssd and moving the game back did not fix the problem. Other games launch fine from the external ssd.

The problem seems to be linked to (external?) ssds and (Rise of the Tomb Raider?) DLCs.
  4. Obsessive Power Win User

If I have the same XBox One game saved to multiple external drives, how can I tell which drive is being used?

because of their higher prices I would only be able to afford a small (256GB) SSD drive
    Hi

Don't be fooled into buying an external SSD, most are far too expensive for what they are. I'm not saying not to buy an SSD though.

The cheapest option is to make your own. All you need is a standard 2.5" SSD and an external USB 3.0 drive enclosure. SSD's on their own work out a lot cheaper and a Drive enclosure costs only $10. External SSD use the same tech, just in a glued together
    case.

It's not complicated either. Putting an SSD hard drive in an enclosure is as easy as changing batteries in a TV remote.

My external SSD is a 2.5" Corsair MX500 SSD drive.
  5. Turaeon Win User

Rise of the Tomb Raider only starts with DLC installed, if console is switched offline.

I just checked Killer Instinct (with some DLC) on the external ssd and it worked without problems so...

the problem seems to be linked to external(?) ssds and Rise of the Tomb Raider DLCs.
  6. IsaacClarkeSNL Win User

MW3 first gameplay footage

And this is just the alpha build.
Thema:

External SSD Alpha Build

1. External SSD Alpha Build - Similar Threads - External SSD Alpha

2. External SSD on Xbox One X

in XBoX on Consoles
    External SSD on Xbox One X: I have a Sandisk Extreme 500GB portable SSD. I have reformatted it in Win 10 to NTFS. I changed the setting to keep the drive from being turned off. I reset the console and plugged the device in...
  3. Problems installing and updating games with external ssd

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Problems installing and updating games with external ssd: Hello, I i staklwd a 4TB SSD in my Xbox one S, to have enough space, bowever im having issues, having to reinstall games and dlcs, like battlefield 4, eas works mg, for some reason something got...
  4. Xbox external SSD suddenly not being recognised?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox external SSD suddenly not being recognised?: Hi, I'm just wondering whether someone would be able to help me with this as it's really frustrating. I bought a brand new SanDisk SSD about a month ago so that Destiny 2 would load up faster...
  5. Two external SSD drives have now stopped working on my Xbox One X

in XBoX on Consoles
    Two external SSD drives have now stopped working on my Xbox One X: Last year I added an external SSD (Sandisk, 512GB, don't recall the model) using a USB3-to-SATA adapter to increase loading speeds and in-game menus speeds. It worked well for a few months and I...
  6. May 2020 update wiped out my external SSD drive.

in XBoX on Consoles
    May 2020 update wiped out my external SSD drive.: I just installed the May update on my XBOX One X and all my games and apps were wiped out from my 4TB external SSD drive. Wound up having to reinstall all my games and apps one by one. It seem to...
  7. Will the Xbox Series X be able to use my external SSD

in XBoX on Consoles
    Will the Xbox Series X be able to use my external SSD: So I bought an 1tb external SSD for my normal xbox one. But will I be able to use it in the Xbox Series X? It would be nice if I could that would mean I would have twice the memory on day one,...
  8. External SSD Problems

in XBoX on Consoles
    External SSD Problems: I’ve recently brought a Samsung T7 Touch 500gb for use on the OG Xbox One and some games such as Kingdom Come Deliverence, GTA V and Forza Horizon 4 are having problems. KCD background music will...
  9. Original xbox one external ssd problems

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Original xbox one external ssd problems: Hello, everyone I want to ask a question; About 4 months ago I turned an extra pc ssd into an external drive using a case and then formatted it and it got working, but last weeks I've been having...
  10. 4K Gameplay Capture Length: Is Recording Up To 1 Hour of 4K Gameplay to External SSD No...

in XBoX on Consoles
    4K Gameplay Capture Length: Is Recording Up To 1 Hour of 4K Gameplay to External SSD No...: I have Xbox One X. I used to be able to capture up to 1 hour of 4K gameplay footage to my external 1TB SSD. Now, it appears I can only capture a maximum of 30 seconds in 4K. Has this capability...