External Storage

Discus and support External Storage in XboX Networking Hardware to solve the problem; External Storage I was researching the best external hard drives to use for Xbox One and saw that the Western Digital My Book was the most recommended.... Discussion in 'XboX Networking Hardware' started by Chambi Church, Dec 27, 2016.

1. External Storage

External Storage
    I was researching the best external hard drives to use for Xbox One and saw that the Western Digital My Book was the most recommended. I happened to have a My Book Live that I bought a while back and never really used. Will this work as an external hard
    drive, or does it have to be something that directly connects to my console via USB?

:)

Chambi Church, Dec 27, 2016
  2. SiNAR 212
    SiNAR 212 Guest
    Yes, the PlayStation 4 Supports External Storage, but There’s a Catch

Well now I am wondering if the X1 will let us use it to put game son it, probably not External Storage :(

Via: Yes, the PlayStation 4 Supports External Storage, but There?s a Catch | TIME.com

SiNAR 212, Dec 27, 2016
  3. Yes, the PlayStation 4 Supports External Storage, but There’s a Catch

I don't think that it's that bad of a catch to prevent me from using the external storage. Though I am not sure if I will ever need to actually use external storage. The fact that there will be 33 games at launch makes me think that eventually, a lot of users will need the external space. I'm OK with it not being functional for downloadable games. No biggie.

incredibleone, Dec 27, 2016
  4. Misses Quinzel Win User

External storage

Hey, guys! Bazajaytee is on the right track with this one! This thread is a bit old. If you need assistance with any other support issues, please post up a new thread detailing what you're running into and troubleshooting you've completed. This way our community
    can get you the individual support that works best on the forums. :)
  5. Psyact Win User

External Storage

These might help you identify the problem:

1. Power the Xbox One down completely and plug the external drive into a different USB port on the Xbox One. Power the Xbox back on and see if the problem persists. If it does, it's that particular USB port that's the issue.

2. If the external HDD has a power cord, try plugging it into a different outlet. If it's plugged into a surge protector, try plugging it directly into a wall (temporarily, just to see if the power is the issue).

3. Last option -- move your data on the external HDD to your internal HDD, and reformat it. I doubt this is the problem, but occasionally I've seen this work.
  6. DragonSamurai75 Win User

External Storage

If I might make a suggestion on a particular brand, go for a Toshiba brand external 7200 RPM HDD, I have two 1TB Toshiba external HDD's and they have never let me down. I know at my local Walmart they have the 1TB for $49.99 a piece and they have the 2TB
    for $69.99 a piece, so be sure to check them out if you can afford the right one you want.
  7. Ice DjKilla Win User

External Storage

Hello Tamer,

I currently am using a WD MyPassport Ultra 3TB USB 3.0 external hard drive that I picked up awhile back for around $80.00 on sale.

I havent had any issues with it so far, I have it set to default so everything is loaded to it, so I can always take my games to go if needed.

If you have any one your looking at in particular, make sure it is capable of higher Rpms in order to read/write data quicker. Make sure to get one that is USB 3.0 (some companies still try to sell the 2.0 versions). I prefer ext. drives that use the power
    through USB from the xbox versus having to plug it in to a seperate outlet.

Also space is very imporant, as for example, lets say each game you download or install is roughly 40GB. So that means 1 TB drive will provide you enough space for approx. 25 Games. Which is why I went for the 3TB version.
  8. R4VER Win User

External Storage

I find on my 4tb, using anything over 3tb use i encountered the same issue. Id have trouble loading all the games ect, might be worth just using 1 at a time, if you are thinking of purchasing a new drive possibly put your most played on there, hopefully
    with the space freed up you should see some better performance out of the other drives
Thema:

External Storage

1. External Storage - Similar Threads - External Storage

2. Xbox one not recognizing full storage amount of Toshiba external hard drive

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox one not recognizing full storage amount of Toshiba external hard drive: My xbox one is connected to a Toshiba hard drive. The blue light is flashing. When i go to storage my hard drive doesn’t show ip, only the games stored on the xbox....
  3. Xbox One S external storage

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox One S external storage: I am in the processing of purchasing an external hard drive for an XBox One S and am trying to find out if the external hard drives for XBox One are compatible with the XBox One S? Thanks!...
  4. External storage detection

in XBoX Accessibility
    External storage detection: My external hard drive is only being detected sometimes, if i connect it through one of the base usb ports, it doesnt show up but, if i connect it into my usb hub, it will show up and say that”...
  5. We see your external storage, but the connection is too weak to use. (0x8082000d)

in XBoX on Consoles
    We see your external storage, but the connection is too weak to use. (0x8082000d): I've got a Kingston HyperX Savage USB 3.1 256 GB Flash drive that just doesn't seem to wanna cooperate. Reads 350Mb/s Writes 250 MB/s, that has to be enough tho, right? So the storage doesn't...
  6. Xbox One Internal/External Data Storage Diagnostic

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox One Internal/External Data Storage Diagnostic: Hello everyone, So I've been having an issue with XCOM 2/War of the Chosen where my game crashes in most loading screens, and trying to reload previous saves similarly causes the game to crash...
  7. External Xbox Storage devices not displaying.

in XBoX on Consoles
    External Xbox Storage devices not displaying.: I hooked up a new SSD to my Xbox One today. The Xbox One X however did not recognize the device. Upon trying everything in the support page for this the final step to restart console completely,...
  8. Seagate 4 terabyte external storage

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Seagate 4 terabyte external storage: I have be having problems with my external storage randomly disconnecting or not starting up the game to begin with it worked fine like a month ago and I’ve had this for 2 years and I have no idea...
  9. New external HHD will not work saying it needs USB 3.0 when it is.

in XBoX on Consoles
    New external HHD will not work saying it needs USB 3.0 when it is.: I have now purchased 2 different external HHD's for my XBOX one S, both are well over 256GB and both USB 3.0. One of the HDD was a 2TB and that told me that I needed one with 256GB storage or...
  10. Game DVR and external storage.

in XboX Insiders
    Game DVR and external storage.: Currently trying to get my head around an issue I'm having with capturing to external storage which I have tested on two 4TB drives, when the drive gets half full of recordings the game DVR stops...