Feature Suggestion -- Bandwidth throttling

Discus and support Feature Suggestion -- Bandwidth throttling in XBoX Games and Apps to solve the problem; With the size of content on XBox One, I'm running into a pretty major problem with the XBox hogging our internet connection when downloading content. I... Discussion in 'XBoX Games and Apps' started by eagle7979, Dec 24, 2014.

1. eagle7979
    eagle7979 Guest

With the size of content on XBox One, I'm running into a pretty major problem with the XBox hogging our internet connection when downloading content. I have a fairly modest connection (3Mbps down / ~400Kbps up) and when Xbox is downloading, it basically
    shuts down the internet for any other devices. And given that some of the downloads are downright huge (working on a 3GB
    patch for Call of Duty Ghosts right now), this can shut things down for a significant amount of time.

What I would suggest is for the Xbox system to have a configurable bandwidth throttling setting that would allow me to limit the device's usage (with separate settings for download and upload) to a maximum amount of usage. This should probably only apply
    to content downloads, obviously, as throttling games, streaming video content, etc wouldn't make much sense.

:)

eagle7979, Dec 24, 2014
  2. PLSM
    PLSM Guest
    Bandwidth throttling when streaming

Hi.

I have an XBOX ONE, which is connected to my LAN on Cat 5e cabling. My switch is GBit and I have verified the speed.

When I stream from the XBOX to any of my Windows 10 PCs I get network quality problems, despite the streaming test states all quality settings are good. When I display the network bandwidth whilst playing it never goes above 20mbit.

When I check the detailed network statistics directly on the XBOX I get a download speed of 40mbit and an upload speed of 9mbit. That's consistent with my broadband connection. When I check the detailed network statistics whilst streaming my download speed
    is 1.15mbit but my upload speed remains the same.

All the PCs are current moderate gaming grade. I have replaced the gbit switch with another and I have replaced all cables.

As the streaming is on the internal wired GBit LAN, how is it possible to still have bandwidth issues, except if the XBOX throttles?

Could someone who knows more about XBOX's help please?

Thanks.

Peter

3. The1337gamer
    The1337gamer Guest
    Microsoft should implant a speed test.

^You shouldn't but that's the way it is. Most ISP's suck. The most annoying thing for me is bandwidth throttling.

The1337gamer, Dec 24, 2014
  4. maxen
    maxen Guest

Hey there,

That's an interesting suggestion. These are the Support forums so we can't help you here directly, but what you should do is head over to
    Xbox Ideas, powered by UserVoice and make the suggestion there (or upvote a similar one, if one already exists). This is the feedback site for all things Xbox (Xbox One, Xbox 360 and Xbox.com) and read by the actual
    development team, so over there it is more likely to be seen by someone that can make this happen.

maxen, Dec 25, 2014
  5. maxen Win User

Hey there,

That's an interesting suggestion. These are the Support forums so we can't help you here directly, but what you should do is head over to
    http://feedback.xbox.com and make the suggestion there (or upvote a similar one, if one already exists). This is the feedback site for all things Xbox (Xbox One, Xbox 360 and Xbox.com) and read by the actual
    development team, so over there it is more likely to be seen by someone that can make this happen.
  6. DrifterX22 Win User

Xbox one S won’t connect to iPhone personal hotspot

I suggest you check and see if you have a bandwidth limit where you will be throttled down if you exceed it. The XBOXdoes have minimum bandwidth requirements and if you have been throttled due to exceeding a limit that could very well be your problem.
  7. sandy the hippy Win User

Vizio sound bar xbox one support.

It may be an issue with disney.

Aren't they currently throttling bandwidth so atmos and 5.1 isn't available?
  8. The1337gamer Win User

Microsoft should implant a speed test.

^You shouldn't but that's the way it is. Most ISP's suck. The most annoying thing for me is bandwidth throttling.
  9. SwordofWhedon Win User

Slow download speeds

My guess would be youve been throttled or capped for using so much bandwidth. You need to call Verizon
Thema:

1. Feature Suggestion -- Bandwidth throttling - Similar Threads - Feature Suggestion Bandwidth

2. New feature suggestion: local coop gaming for non coop games with a multiplayer element

in XboX Insiders
    New feature suggestion: local coop gaming for non coop games with a multiplayer element: Now of course I don't expect this to be easily implemented but with more and more game producers not facilitating local co-op due to what is widely seen as performance issues or lack of demand,...
  3. Where/How Should We Submit Suggestions/Feature Requests?

in XboX Insiders
    Where/How Should We Submit Suggestions/Feature Requests?: The last time I had a suggestion, it was submitted through Xbox Ideas https://xboxideas.uservoice.com/, based on this Xbox Wire post - Xbox Ideas Update: Start Voting for your Favorite Ideas...
  4. An suggestion feature that allowed unlimited items to be added to home

in XBoX Games and Apps
    An suggestion feature that allowed unlimited items to be added to home: Like number of game max to 5 when I add an xbox one and xbox 360 game to my home page section up to 50 games.Not sure this should be in correct area. 93f7e794-abcb-4e66-8d0f-1d2b158ac2a6
  5. Feature suggestion - digital download code trade in

in XboX Insiders
    Feature suggestion - digital download code trade in: It would be nice if Microsoft provided the option to trade in unwanted, unused digital game download or xbox live gold codes directly to them for store credit. submitted by /u/1and2halvespeople...
  6. Suggestion: Auto translate feature

in XBoX Accessibility
    Suggestion: Auto translate feature: Hello, language barriers have always been a problem in online gaming even though most of the time it isn't an issue. However when it comes to Xbox live, messages and clubs being able to understand...
  7. FEATURE SUGGESTION: video playback, make controller less sensitive

in XBoX Games and Apps
    FEATURE SUGGESTION: video playback, make controller less sensitive: I tried to watch a movie with headphones, with a friend atttached to another controller, in order to keep quiet while my family is sleeping. The problem is that if my friend touches the...
  8. Feature Suggestion: Jigsaw Collections

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Feature Suggestion: Jigsaw Collections: 1. It would be nice to be able to create collections of puzzles from my own images rather than just adding singletons. 2. It would be nice if puzzle collections could be grouped or otherwise...
  9. Great feature suggestion

in XBoX on Consoles
    Great feature suggestion: I don’t know about everyone else but I really enjoy listening to Spotify in the background while I play. That being said what if we could start up a party invite friends too it and the whole party...
  10. A Forum For Suggesting Future Console Update Features

in XBoX on Consoles
    A Forum For Suggesting Future Console Update Features: Of all of the useful and enjoyable forums on this site, I couldn't find for the life of me a single one relating to future system updates. If there's some link or page that I can be sent to clear...