Game Sharing Not Working After Upgrading to Series X

Discus and support Game Sharing Not Working After Upgrading to Series X in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; For the last few years, I have been successfully game sharing with my friend. I have an Xbox One X and he had an Xbox One S and game sharing has been... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by XBX PureChaosX, May 12, 2022.

1. Game Sharing Not Working After Upgrading to Series X

For the last few years, I have been successfully game sharing with my friend. I have an Xbox One X and he had an Xbox One S and game sharing has been working flawlessly.

However, I've recently upgraded to a Series X, and needed to turn on Game Share. So I did what I did with my One X. Added his profile to my XSX, logged in and made my XSX his Home Xbox. Restarted the Xbox for good measure.

However, this has failed to work as intended, and Game Sharing is still not working on my XSX. I used to play his digital version of Forza Horizon 5 (Premium Edition). So I signed in, downloaded it and ran it. It seemed to work fine.

I tried to play it this morning, without signing in, but instead it started the Game Pass version of the game, and all Premium DLC was locked out. I can only play FH5 when signed in to his profile, which is NOT what's supposed to happen.

He hasn't changed anything on his Xbox One S and my profile is still set as my Home Xbox on HIS Xbox One. And my XSX has the same Game Share setting as my One X did. I have also factory reset the One X, so his profile is now on my XSX only (and his One S). So all our Game Share settings are all unchanged and back to how they were before.

Does anyone know how to get Game Share working again? Is it a cross-gen issue, does he need an XSX as well?

Thanks!

Just to recap: MY Xbox is set to HIS Home Xbox. HIS Xbox is set to MY Home Xbox. Is this the correct way to allow Game Sharing between the two profiles?

:)

XBX PureChaosX, May 12, 2022
  2. Lucas Lauer Win User

PS: Do the remove/add account for both accounts on your console.
  3. XBX PureChaosX Win User

My Xbox is set to my friends Home Xbox, which allows me to play his digital games. His Xbox is set to my Home Xbox, which I assume allows him to play MY digital games. This is how I understand Game Sharing works.

We've had this setup for many years and haven't encountered any issues... or any banning notices from Microsoft. We kept each others profiles on our Xboxes so that we can use our own profiles when we visit each other. When he visits here, he can use his profile on my Xbox for co-op games and vice-versa.
  4. Smwutches Win User

Just to recap: MY Xbox is HIS Home Xbox. So I assume that means HIS Xbox needs to be MY Home Xbox? Is that correct? And what would happen if my Xbox was BOTH our Home Xbox?
    His console does not have to be your Home. If you Xbox was both of your Homes, you would have access to his games/Gold, but would not have access to yours.

Also, please keep in mind sharing account information violates the code of conduct. You should only be sharing if you/your friend are able to sign in yourself to set the Home setting and then remove your account. Otherwise, you're putting yourselves at risk for being banned.
  5. Lucas Lauer Win User

Hello, XBX. Thanks for reaching out! My name is Lucas, and I'm an Independent Advisor and a Microsoft user just like you. I'll be happy to assist you today.

Some users are reporting errors with Game Sharing these days. I'll propose you some steps here, but most users that I attended having this Game Share issue only solved it by contacting Xbox Support Team to "refresh" their Xbox Live account.

First:

Press the Xbox Button > My Games and Apps > See All > Manage Queue > Queue > Click on Cancel All > Clear The Queue

Press the Xbox Button > System > Settings > System > Storage > Clear local saved games (Note: Just do this if your saves are saved in the cloud, else they'll be lost)

Press the Xbox Button > Settings > System Settings > Storage.

Highlight but don't select a storage device, and then press Y on your controller for Device Options.

On the Device Options screen, select Clear System Cache.

When prompted to confirm storage device maintenance, select Yes.

Remove Account:

1. Press the Xbox button. ​​​

2. Select System > Settings > Account > Remove accounts. ​​​

3. Select the account that you want to remove, and then Remove. ​​​

4. Close. ​​​

​​​

Power Reset:

1. If you have an external HD, please unplug it and let it unplugged for testing purposes.

​​​2. Turn off your console by holding the Xbox button on the front of the console for approximately 10 seconds. The console will turn off. ​​​

3. Unplug all the cables (power, HDMI, etc..) and wait 5 minutes.

4. After 5 minutes, plug all the cables in again (except for the external HD) and then turn your console back on by pressing the Xbox button on the console.

​​​

Add Account:

​​​1. Press the Xbox button. ​​​

2. Select your gamerpic in the upper-left corner of the screen, move all the way down and select Add new. ​​​

3. Enter the Email Address and the Password.​​​

4. Read the Microsoft Service Agreement and Privacy Statement, and then select I Accept. ​​

5. Follow the steps to configure your Sign-In & Security preferences to add your Microsoft account to your Xbox console again.

In case the issue still persists, the next step would be to perform a reset on the console:

Settings > System > Console Info > Reset This Xbox > Reset and Keep my Games and Apps.

Note: the "Reset and Keep my Games and Apps" option will not make you lose your games, but you will need to sign in to the account again.

If nothing work for you, you'll need to contact a Xbox Support Advocate:

https://support.xbox.com/en-US/contact-us/

or

https://support.microsoft.com/contact/virtual-a...
  6. ROBIN H 25 Win User

Pre download Xbox Series X games

Not really...

Xbox Series X games / upgrades / updates has to be installed onto the Series X internal or expansion card SSD,

You can have Xbox One games on your external hard drive that will get an Series X upgrade but the games will need to be transferred to the Series X and then the Series X upgrade will need to be downloaded onto the Series X SSD,

As an example...

I have Marvel Avengers on my external hard drive that will get the Series X upgrade and I will transfer the game over to the Series X SSD ready to download and update the game to the Series X version when available.
Thema:

1. Game Sharing Not Working After Upgrading to Series X - Similar Threads - Game Sharing Working

2. Xbox Series X Game Share Not Working

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Xbox Series X Game Share Not Working: I recently purchased an Xbox Series X, I game share with a friend and assumed we had to do all the Home Xbox stuff again. I added his account and made my Series X his Home Xbox and he added my...
  3. Game Share Not Working

in XBoX Accessibility
    Game Share Not Working: Firstly, apologies; I see there aremany similar questions already. Despite following their guidance, I still cannot rectify my issue I recently bought a Series S console from my sons room. I...
  4. Game sharing does not work

in XBoX Accessibility
    Game sharing does not work: My friend and I have been game sharing for about 5 months now. We’ve had no issues whatsoever until I wanted to download Elden Ring after he purchased it digitally. For some reason, this game is...
  5. game share on xbox app for Windows not working for specific content

in XBoX Games and Apps
    game share on xbox app for Windows not working for specific content: Hi all, My younger brother and I use the same PC to game. I bought the Destiny 2 The Witch Queen DLC and through signing myself in on his Microsoft Store app, we were able to essentially "game...
  6. Game share not working for a specific title

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Game share not working for a specific title: One of the games I game share is Destiny 2 by Bungie. The person I'm sharing with bought the 30th Anniversary and Witch Queen bundle. 30th Anniversary was working fine but now that Witch Queen...
  7. home Xbox game sharing doesnt work

in XBoX Games and Apps
    home Xbox game sharing doesnt work: I have recently bought my son an xbox for xmas and transferred the games we bought via xbox gold, using the network transfer option. Once he had the games he wanted on his xbox he tried to play...
  8. Game share is not working

in XBoX on Consoles
    Game share is not working: Me and my friend tried to game share and I made his Xbox account my home Xbox like your supposed too to game share but now that I sign back in on my account it says I have to buy Call of Duty...
  9. Vanguard game share not working

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Vanguard game share not working: Me and my house mate game share but we can't both play vanguard at the same time? We can play all other games at the same time, is there anything stopping vanguard to be game shared? Thanks...
  10. Xbox Game Pass Family Sharing wont work on PC. It works on multiple Xbox's, but wont work...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Xbox Game Pass Family Sharing wont work on PC. It works on multiple Xbox's, but wont work...: Hi, I have a Xbox Series X, with Game Pass Ultimate. I have Family Sharing, with three members --> 1 adult and 2 children I have another Xbox One, and all members can use Game Pass, on either...