Gamertag remains active after 5 years of inactivity

Discus and support Gamertag remains active after 5 years of inactivity in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; I have a long problem with a gamertag and I will try to explain it briefly but in detail. In 2012 I closed a Microsoft Account that had the... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by Matheus Willder, Jul 31, 2020 at 8:22 PM.

1. Gamertag remains active after 5 years of inactivity

I have a long problem with a gamertag and I will try to explain it briefly but in detail. In 2012 I closed a Microsoft Account that had the MatheusWillder gamertag associated with it. In 2015 I discovered that the account and the gamertag were still active
    and, after speaking with Support at the time, I managed to close the account permanently, but I was left without access to the gamertag, which I would like to use in this current account. Now we are in 2020 and the gamertag remains unavailable for new use,
    even after the 5 years that, according to the Microsoft Terms of Use, a gamertag is deleted and becomes available again due to inactivity. The main question is: why? Why is the gamertag still active even after so long since the account has been closed?

I can access the profile, add myself as a friend, see my old profile picture, that is, everything is exactly as I left it even after all this time, here is the link:

https://account.xbox.com/en-us/profile?gamertag=MatheusWillder

I have already contacted Chat Support, but to no avail. I was just told that the gamertag no longer exists, but it remains unavailable and the profile remains active, as you can see in the link above.

Unfortunately I used the new gamertag system to create a new one recently in this current account and seems not possible to go back to the old system without an Xbox 360 but, still, I would like to know why the gamertag is still there and if there is some
    chance that I can use it again, even after creating a gamertag on the new system. The MatheusWillder gamertag is my real name, I use it on all my Social Networks, except here, because of this problem.

Is there anyone who can help me out here?

Thank you,

Willder

:)

Matheus Willder, Jul 31, 2020 at 8:22 PM
  2. killerkaesar Win User

360-Can I add old profile info to new profile on new console?

Xbox accounts that remain inactive after 5 years are not recoverable, if there is not activity in that time the account will be deleted
  3. HomegrownSilky Win User

You wouldn't be able to use that as a gamertag anymore because it exceeds the new 12 character limit for gamertags.
  4. Smwutches Win User

Again: Gamertag remains active after 5 years of inactivity

Please refrain from creating duplicate threads.

No one here can say exactly why it hasn't been released. The 5 year policy you mentioned in your previous thread started in 2016 (which means the 5 years would be 2021) and was changed on August 20, 2019 to 2 years if the person does not sign into their
    Microsoft account within 2 years (still 2021). So if the system is going to free it up based on the terms of service, it won't be freed up until next year, but as stated in your original post, it would not be possible to change your tag to that one anymore
    since it is over 12 characters.
  5. killerkaesar Win User

360-Can I add old profile info to new profile on new console?

Xbox accounts that remain inactive after 5 years are not recoverable, if there is not activity in that time the account will be deleted
    Also there is no way to combine the achievements of both accounts.
  6. bowski477 Win User

Gamer tag

Unfortunately you cannot request the gamertag if it is already in use. However the user is required to sign in once every 5 years for the account to remain active. If they do not it may become available in the future. Remember that there are other MS services
    that use MS accounts and gamertags. So just because it's not active on Xbox does not mean it is inactive.
Thema:

1. Gamertag remains active after 5 years of inactivity - Similar Threads - Gamertag remains active

2. How to get old gamertag back

in XBoX on Consoles
    How to get old gamertag back: A gamertag I've had since 2012 was recently changed by a friend of mine without my knowledge and I was wondering if there's any way to get it back as it was an autogenerated tag that's longer than...
  3. only have few friends,i cannot really tell which gamertags they had earlier. isnt it...

in XboX Insiders
    only have few friends,i cannot really tell which gamertags they had earlier. isnt it...: it would be neat to have a feature which shows the past (3 orsomething like it) gamertags friends in the friends list had and which they changed from to current. submitted by /u/SingingCoyote13...
  4. Return old gamertag

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Return old gamertag: yes, I had a old gamertag that was very special to me, it got changed due to a family member playing a joke on me, and i have been trying to recover it for the past year now. I am asking for my...
  5. Gamertag

in XBoX Accessibility
    Gamertag: I have actually been playing as 'MinterFanimals' for as long as I created my microsoft account, but suddenly it changed just yesterday. I think it was yesterday, or it may be today morning....
  6. Changed Gamertag and Backwards Compatibility

in XBoX on Consoles
    Changed Gamertag and Backwards Compatibility: I recently changed my Gamertag (3 months ago) and i'm trying to play Halo 3 and it doesnt recognize my account. I have tried to Download Profile, but when I enter the password it has a maximum...
  7. Original Gamertag

in XBoX on Consoles
    Original Gamertag: Undee microsofts currents system with the numbers after gamertags, the original owner doesnt have the number beside his/her name, but what happens to the gamertag is he/she changes it? Does it go...
  8. Change Xbox Gamertag Not Working

in XBoX Accessibility
    Change Xbox Gamertag Not Working: [img] This is what happens when I try and change my gamertag. 4f0b536b-91e2-4d6d-a177-722e10df3041
  9. Again: Gamertag remains active after 5 years of inactivity

in XBoX on Consoles
    Again: Gamertag remains active after 5 years of inactivity: Earlier today I asked a question here: Gamertag remains active after 5 years of inactivity and I got an answer was marked as an answer and the topic was locked, but it does not answer the...
  10. Removing remaining Microsoft Funds to change gamertag email

in XBoX on Consoles
    Removing remaining Microsoft Funds to change gamertag email: I'm trying to change my microsoft account that's linked with my Xbox Live Gamertag, but in order to do that it says that I first need to spend the REMAINING FUNDS on my microsoft account. I have...