Gamertag Suffixes need to be hidden

Discus and support Gamertag Suffixes need to be hidden in XBoX on Windows to solve the problem; Okay, the new gamertag system seems great at first. You get to change your name to whatever you want pretty much at the cost of adding a small number... Discussion in 'XBoX on Windows' started by Davis Guest, Apr 7, 2020.

1. Davis Guest
    Davis Guest Guest

Okay, the new gamertag system seems great at first. You get to change your name to whatever you want pretty much at the cost of adding a small number suffix to your name as an identifier. BUT!!! This suffix doesn't vanish or have an option to be hidden.
    For example, i recently changed my name to "Newt" because it is what my name is across all of may PC games and accounts. Even if that name is being used, a hidden identifier is used that isn't seen to anyone but the software's servers. However, Xbox refuses
    to remove this annoying suffix from being at least displayed. Other platforms such as "Steam" and "Battle.net" allow its players to have whatever name they want without the suffixes or at least have them seen to the public. I am very upset with how Xbox handles
    its gamertags because no one, i repeat NO ONE, likes to have unintentional things added on to the name they chose. Also the small numbers are even small on the Xbox companion app on PC, the numbers are large and attached to the end of the name I selected.
    Xbox please look into this because this is very annoying after an unclear message of how this would play out after I changed my name.

:)

Davis Guest, Apr 7, 2020
  2. AssertiveGrub90 Win User

I don't think having those number displayed on the end is a bad thing as it allows you to distinguish between users who have the same username. And it is not an intentional addition to your username as you are made aware of it before you change your username.
    Regardless, if you would like to suggest it to Microsoft you can post here to make your voice heard.
  3. DrifterX22 Win User

The message was not in any way "unclear" as to how this would work. If the characters added to the end were hidden then when someone searched to add you they could find 25 Newt players and have no idea who to select.
  4. MorkyMork1991 Win User

I mean, it's meant as a way for you to change your name and have a unique one. It makes it easier for people you have played with to follow, friend or message you.
  5. Smwutches Win User

Something is wrong with this update for gamertag custom. And i hate it.

The suffix is added when you choose a gamertag that is already taken. In order to have a gamertag without the suffix, you would need to choose a gamertag that no one else has.
  6. Wadski Win User

XBox Gamertag incorrectly assigned

Hi

There was a change on Live to allow people to have pseudo duplicate usernames. All usernames now have a #nnnn after them which is primarily hidden. This is very much like Discord.

details here:

https://beta.support.xbox.com/help/account-profile/profile/gamertag-update-faq

New Xbox players or those who want to change their gamertag can claim one of their choice, up to 12 characters. If a gamertag is already taken, a suffix with numbers is attached
    to differentiate you from other people with the same gamertag. Suffixes are subtle so that the focus is on the name you chose, but they are always shown.
Thema:

1. Gamertag Suffixes need to be hidden - Similar Threads - Gamertag Suffixes need

2. Gamertag suffix on an untaken gamertag

in XBoX on Consoles
    Gamertag suffix on an untaken gamertag: Trying to change my gamertag using the free change to something but it comes up with them numbers at the end, ive searched the gamertag and no one has it (without the suffix)...
  3. Xbox Gamertag Suffix

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox Gamertag Suffix: Hello. I know this is going to sound like a really silly thing to complain about, but hopefully you can understand where I am coming from. Today I realized I could change my Xbox gamertag to the...
  4. Suffix in my gamertag

in XBoX on Windows
    Suffix in my gamertag: So recently I started playing Minecraft Windows 10 (Bedrock) again and I wanted to change my gamertag, so I did. I changed it to "", but my other account already was "", so I got these suffix...
  5. Xbox Gamertag Suffix Ingame

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Xbox Gamertag Suffix Ingame: So i just wanted to know, will our Suffix always appear ingame? Will at some point will games have the ability to display our gamertag without the suffix? So i changed my gamertag to Zephyr and...
  6. Demande d'actualisation le gamertag pour le suffixe[Translation-Request to refresh the...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Demande d'actualisation le gamertag pour le suffixe[Translation-Request to refresh the...: Bonjour, Est-il possible de demander une actualisation de son gamertag pour supprimer le suffixe ? Pour information: - j'ai le pseudo TimyPastek - je suis le seul l'avoir sur Xbox - j'ai le...
  7. How come numbers can't come first in a gamertag? (Not prefixes/suffixes)

in XBoX Accessibility
    How come numbers can't come first in a gamertag? (Not prefixes/suffixes): Is there a reason numbers can't come first in a gamertag? I don't like the x's in my name and I was wondering if there will be a feature in the future where you can add number's in the beginning...
  8. Gamertag suffix issue

in XBoX on Consoles
    Gamertag suffix issue: Hello, I recently changed my recent gamertag back to my old gamertag on Xbox using the new Gamertag sytem. According to the new gamertag system, if a gamertag hasn't been taken by someone else...
  9. Gamertag Suffix

in XBoX on Consoles
    Gamertag Suffix: Hello! I am wondering if I could get any insight as to why a name I am trying to change to brings up a suffix on the end, when not owned by anyone, I tried to use Latin Alphabet as well but still...
  10. Regarding suffix numbers in new gamertag changes

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Regarding suffix numbers in new gamertag changes: At the time of this post, the suffix numbers in your gamertag (for a duplicate username) seem to show up in-game. According to the Gamertag Update FAQ: "A few games released this year might...