Games for WIndows Live was phased out?

Discus and support Games for WIndows Live was phased out? in XBoX on Windows to solve the problem; I keep seeing the mods here saying that Games for Windows Live (GFWL) was phased out, followed by the mod locking the thread. Latest example was by... Discussion in 'XBoX on Windows' started by Ackis, Sep 13, 2019.

1. Ackis
    Ackis Guest

I keep seeing the mods here saying that Games for Windows Live (GFWL) was phased out, followed by the mod locking the thread. Latest example was by Amber M here: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/xbox/forum/all/microsoft-please-fix-the-games-for-windows/3c635700-049b-4465-a5ac-004fd6c37cb2

Can you please give me a post/link to the official announcement where Microsoft has stated GFWL has been shutdown?

The marketplace shutdown in 2013. The platform has never shutdown. As of a month ago I am still able to install and play disc based games based off of GFWL. I was still able to download purchased games and DLC. As of right now, I'm out $100's of purchases
    because of an error at Microsoft with Games for Windows Live. Other people have the SAME issue, and nothing has been done about it, other than you saying that "Windows 10 only supports blah blah blah" - which isn't exactly true. If you want, I can also say
    it doesn't work on Windows 7, Vista, or Windows 8 either. Yes, I have all those OSes running.

Simply put - fix the darn issue. It needs to be dealt with. I paid for my games and I want access to them. I don't want to hear excuses.

Now I'm sure you'll lock this thread with some of the normal [Mod Removed - see Guidelines] about it's been shutdown without actually helping anyone or answering any questions, but hey, I've got to try before sending an executive e-mail.

:)

Ackis, Sep 13, 2019
  2. XBF Amber M Win User

Hi Ackis,

The most officially listed reference to this occurrence regarding GFWL being shut down is located in our support article entitled Games
    for Windows Live
    :

"Games for Windows Live is an app that allows you to connect to the Xbox Live service from your Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 8.1 devices....If you have a Windows 10 device, you can now use the Xbox app to connect to the
    Xbox Live service.
    "

This means that the GFWL functionality is no longer supported on Windows 10 and has been phased out/replaced by the Xbox app and has been in effect for the past few years, specifically since 2014, in order to have the most up-to-date platform for gaming.
    As you have mentioned before, and most people are aware of, if you'd like to play these older games, then it would most likely need to go through Steam.

If you're using Win7, 8 or 8.1 then chances are you'll still be able to play these older games on your PC; however, this does not negate the fact that there is no longer much, if any, upkeep being allocated for GFWL which means that if you cannot access
    any games on those OS types, then it may be due to the GFWL app no longer being functional or available (hence, phased out).

Additionally, I'd like to remind you of the Xbox Forums Guidelines regarding the following:

27) Do not repost content a moderator has removed, repost a topic that has been locked, remove a post edited by a moderator or post about forum moderation decisions. If you have a question or concern
    about a forum moderation decision, please private message the applicable moderator.

As there is no other information to add to this and no other answer available, we'll be locking the thread at this time.

Thanks again for posting in the forums and happy gaming.
  3. Ackis Win User

4. The Viral Cyrix Win User

Game phase 2/3 is live

My local store has had onshelf stock since wednesday
  5. pawncrackers Win User

Mobile games is it possible and would u like it

As Windows Phone is slowly being phased out, there are some companies out there that are keeping XBL enabled games alive, Gameloft, for instance. It would be down to the developers, whether they want to keep them running - I personally don't see
    them continuing past 2021, instead, full shift moving to Windows 10 PCs. :/

L
  6. pawncrackers Win User

Mobile games is it possible and would u like it

As Windows Phone is slowly being phased out, there are some companies out there that are keeping XBL enabled games alive, Gameloft, for instance. It would be down to the developers, whether they want to keep them running - I personally don't see
    them continuing past 2021, instead, full shift moving to Windows 10 PCs. :/

L
Thema:

1. Games for WIndows Live was phased out? - Similar Threads - Games WIndows Live

2. Games for Windows Live not showing my games

in XBoX on Windows
    Games for Windows Live not showing my games: I've been having this problem for a while now, the GFWL isn't showing the games I've bought and I can't download them; it's displayed that: ``There was an error retriving your purchase history....
  3. Microsoft, please fix the Games for Windows Marketplace - Games for Windows LIVE (GFWL)

in XBoX on Windows
    Microsoft, please fix the Games for Windows Marketplace - Games for Windows LIVE (GFWL): As anyone dealing with the Games for Windows Marketplace (GFWM) knows, it is completely broken and needs to be fixed internally by Microsoft. This won't happen without enough public demand and a...
  4. Games for Windows Live (GFWL), Steam, Windows 10 and You

in XBoX on Windows
    Games for Windows Live (GFWL), Steam, Windows 10 and You: First off, please do not ask a question in this thread. If you have an issue with Games for Windows Live (GFWL) please create your own thread and a support agent or an ambassador will help you...
  5. Play Fable 3 without Games for Windows Live

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Play Fable 3 without Games for Windows Live: Hi, I would like to install Fable 3 on pc (Windows 10), but I have heard that Games for Windows Live is now shut down. Is it still possible to play the game? Thank you...
  6. Games for Windows Live: Accessing Product Keys for Previous Purchases

in XBoX on Windows
    Games for Windows Live: Accessing Product Keys for Previous Purchases: Hello, I know this is a little late but I was trying to play Tinker and though I can get Games for Windows Live to download, it's asking me for my product key. While this was a free game, it did...
  7. Cannot sign into my XBox Live account on Windows 8 games on my Windows 10 machine

in XBoX on Windows
    Cannot sign into my XBox Live account on Windows 8 games on my Windows 10 machine: Whenever I try to play an Xbox Live game from the Microsoft Store like Hitman Go, Rabbids Big Bang or Bejeweled that are Windows 8 games on my Windows 10 machine I keep getting prompted for my...
  8. Activation issues Grand Theft Auto IV in games for windows live

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Activation issues Grand Theft Auto IV in games for windows live: Many years ago I bought GTA IV on Steam and now I have troble with activation. I activated this game several times before. Why I can't activate again? [img] [img]...
  9. Не могу привязать аккаунт Xbox live, и games for windows для Social Club. [Translated] I...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Не могу привязать аккаунт Xbox live, и games for windows для Social Club. [Translated] I...: Почему-то именно к Xbox и Games for windows у меня выдает ошибку: Неверный реквизиты входа. 52be9992-d2bb-4967-acb2-19cd641c7150 #0.210.3 [Translated by Mod] For some reason it is to Xbox and...
  10. impossivel desinstalar o Microsoft Games for Windows - LIVE Redistribution (e como baixo o...

in XBoX on Windows
    impossivel desinstalar o Microsoft Games for Windows - LIVE Redistribution (e como baixo o...: [Title Translation-Impossible to uninstall Microsoft Games for Windows-LIVE Redistribution (and how to down xliveredist. msi) ]...