HDR at 1440p or 1080p on 4K HDR TVs on Xbox One X? Working for anyone?

Discus and support HDR at 1440p or 1080p on 4K HDR TVs on Xbox One X? Working for anyone? in XboX Insiders to solve the problem; I just bought a LG C9 Oled to use for Xbox One X. My intention was to use the (supported) 1440p@120Hz mode, with VRR, to reduce lag and judder.... Discussion in 'XboX Insiders' started by /u/berpasan, Dec 10, 2019.

1. /u/berpasan
    /u/berpasan Guest

I just bought a LG C9 Oled to use for Xbox One X. My intention was to use the (supported) 1440p@120Hz mode, with VRR, to reduce lag and judder.

However, I can’t get it to work with HDR. Actually, I can’t get HDR to work with anything besides 4k@60Hz. Is anyone here successfully outputting to a 4K TV at any resolution other than 4K, with HDR?

I troubleshooted A LOT (resets, new cables, firmware updates, trying every possible setting combination). I also tried my older TV (Sony x900e) and it doesn’t work either (at 1080p). On HDR games the Xbox always “fallbacks” to 4K@60Hz HDR. If “Allow 4K” is disabled, it seems HDR is also disabled. Here is a video showing what happens: https://youtu.be/ZXCopL2p9lw

I’ve seen a lot of reports of people successfully using 1440p and 1080p HDR monitors with Xbox, but with TVs all youtubers I saw could only run 1440p@120Hz without HDR on their high-end TVs (including Samsungs).

What I believe is happening is that the XB1X is always playing HDR content at the maximum resolution supported by the device, regardless of what is selected. I don’t think it’s the TV’s fault, as I’ve read reports of people using a LG C9 on Nvidia cards at 1440p@120Hz HDR.

Any help is really appreciated, if this is indeed a widespread Xbox bug I’ll report on the console.

submitted by /u/berpasan
    [link] [comments]

/u/berpasan, Dec 10, 2019
  2. ngocphi Win User

Xbox One S and HDR

Ummm cause only 4k tvs support hdr

Even on a ps4 pro

Hate to burst your bubble but hdr is only meant for 4k tv

Hdr sets res at 1440p or.higher and allows.for advance color control.only available on 4k res

The only things that play in hdr on xbox one s is 4k bluray and 4k streaming

If you tried this on a 1080p tv you will have blurry lines instead of a good picture

Because you are trying to squeeze too much res into a 1080p

Hdr onlybworks when the tv and player support HDR and 1080p tvs dont

Neither dods a ps4 slim or originsl

Only pro units do and xbox ome s and .x
  3. Obsessive Power Win User

Xbox One S and HDR

Ummm cause only 4k tvs support hdr

Even on a ps4 pro

Hate to burst your bubble but hdr is only meant for 4k tv

Hdr sets res at 1440p or.higher and allows.for advance color control.only available on 4k res

The only things that play in hdr on xbox one s is 4k bluray and 4k streaming

If you tried this on a 1080p tv you will have blurry lines instead of a good picture

Because you are trying to squeeze too much res into a 1080p

Hdr onlybworks when the tv and player support HDR and 1080p tvs dont

Neither dods a ps4 slim or originsl

Only pro units do and xbox ome s and .x
    That's not strictly true. There are some 1080P TV's that support HDR, but not many of them. HDR is for colour output, it has nothing to do with the picture resolution of the content. Not sue why you think it would have 'blurry lines'?

Also need to correct you on few more things here:

HDR for the Xbox One S - if you're using a 4K display - is not limited to UHD Blu-ray or Streaming services, it can also be used in Xbox One games that have HDR support.

All PS4 consoles support HDR, it's not locked behind the Pro console. They will also do HDR at 1080P.

But to the original poster:

There isn't just one type of HDR

Likely the true reason for HDR not being supported for the Xbox One S and 1080P is one of technology. There isn't just one type of HDR, there are several, HDR8, HDR10 and Dolby Vision to name a few. Those few 1080P displays with HDR, likely only support
    the early HDR standards. Sure, it's HDR, but good HDR?
  4. Obsessive Power Win User

1080P HDR support

Hi,

Only the Xbox One S and the One X support HDR. HDR isn't linked to resolution, so, technically, HDR can work at 1080P. However, in the interest of not confusing consumers, Microsoft have locked HDR to 4K displays only, which is mostly industry standard
    anyway. I'm pretty sure even 1440P doesn't support HDR on One S or One X either.
  5. Mr Crynox Win User

1080P HDR support

Hi,

Only the Xbox One S and the One X support HDR. HDR isn't linked to resolution, so, technically, HDR can work at 1080P. However, in the interest of not confusing consumers, Microsoft have locked HDR to 4K displays only, which is mostly industry standard
    anyway. I'm pretty sure even 1440P doesn't support HDR on One S or One X either.
    I understand that HDR is not related to resolution and that most 1080P displays that do support it are less common that 4K displays, but there are definitely models that do, mine included.

I can play PS4 games on 1080P with HDR but not XB1 games.. I don't understand why MS isn't supporting HDR alongside 1080P ?
  6. Paul1708 Win User

1080P HDR support

Hi,

I understand that HDR is not related to resolution and that most 1080P displays that do support it are less common that 4K displays, but there are definitely models that do, mine included.

I can play PS4 games on 1080P with HDR but not XB1 games.. I don't understand why MS isn't supporting HDR alongside 1080P ?
    Sure its a good point but its proberly about demand. There isnt really any 1080p TVS on the market that support HDR so why would they. However if you would like too see this then you can leave feedback and ideas here feedback.xbox.com
Thema:

1. HDR at 1440p or 1080p on 4K HDR TVs on Xbox One X? Working for anyone? - Similar Threads - HDR 1440p 1080p

2. When will Xbox support HDR on 1080p?

in XBoX on Consoles
    When will Xbox support HDR on 1080p?: Hello I recently purchased myself the 27GL650F LG Gaming monitor. Its a 1080p monitor that supports HDR10 and has two HDMI 2.0 ports up to 144Hz and FreeSync/Gsync support. That said, Ive been...
  3. HDR Support on 1080p or on all resolutions lower than 4K

in XboX Insiders
    HDR Support on 1080p or on all resolutions lower than 4K: There has been numerous request on the Xbox community to why we cannot run HDR content on 1080p. It appears that HDR content can only be played when 4k resolutions are enabled. I have a 1080p...
  4. No blu ray hdr playback

in XBoX Games and Apps
    No blu ray hdr playback: Please help. I have just purchased my first 4k uhd blu ray disk. It will not play in hdr mode. My games play in hdr mode. Also Amazon prime video plays ok in hdr. When you go into the checklist in...
  5. Achievements issue while in HDR

in XBoX on Windows
    Achievements issue while in HDR: So I've been playing a few games on the pc Xbox beta and found an annoying issue with achievements while in HDR. I have HDR on in my W10 settings for games and apps, which there's no issue with...
  6. Jedi Fallen Order HDR

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Jedi Fallen Order HDR: Hi everyone! Does anyone else have a problem with how this game looks in HDR? All my other 4k hdr games look great,with vibrant colours and deep blacks but this game looks grey and washed...
  7. A possible sound bug while listening music due to switching into HDR?

in XboX Insiders
    A possible sound bug while listening music due to switching into HDR?: I don't usually play games while listening to Spotify on the console, so this might not be new at all but I was wondering: Is it normal a 'hiccup'/pause in the sound while switching from SDR to...
  8. Xbox one x hdr issue

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox one x hdr issue: In the setting for my xbox one x, it says hdr for movies is supported, but not for games. What would make it supported for one and not the other? 4e2f0c02-6a15-4c94-865e-0b2c12cdeaf5
  9. 1440p HDR

in XBoX on Consoles
    1440p HDR: Hello, I recently purchased an HP Pavilion 32 HDR gaming monitor for my Xbox One x for the 1440p support, and to enjoy console gaming. I tried to connect the monitor to my Xbox and got the 1440p...
  10. Any monitors that work on Xbox One X @ 1440p, 120hz + (freesync or HDR or 10bit), over HDMI 2

in XBoX on Consoles
    Any monitors that work on Xbox One X @ 1440p, 120hz + (freesync or HDR or 10bit), over HDMI 2: I can't believe how much research I've done over the past month trying to find monitors that will do: +1440p +120hz + (freesync or HDR or 10bit) + over HDMI 2 + (obvious, compatible with...