HDR calibration and Dynamic Tone Mapping on xbox series x

Discus and support HDR calibration and Dynamic Tone Mapping on xbox series x in XBoX Games and Apps to solve the problem; I would like to know whether I should turn Dynamic Tone Mapping off while I calibrate HDR in the Xbox One X General TV & display options.... Discussion in 'XBoX Games and Apps' started by Chris Sercombe, Sep 4, 2021.

1. HDR calibration and Dynamic Tone Mapping on xbox series x

I would like to know whether I should turn Dynamic Tone Mapping off while I calibrate HDR in the Xbox One X General TV & display options.

:)

Chris Sercombe, Sep 4, 2021
  2. MateusFontana Win User

Hello, how are you? My name is Mateus. I'm an Independent Advisor and I'll be glad to help you today.

First, welcome to the Xbox community.

Answering your question, I recommend that you turn the option off and configure it until you find the hdr level that you like the most, and then turn it on again to compare which would be the best version for you.
  3. LadyDeathtrip Win User

HDR calibration and Dynamic Tone Mapping

As it has been shown and proven that some games have tone mapping in them that helps with the image quality, this is not always the case with all games and some do not and even when HDR they have flat assist that need a
    bit of a boost. Its absolutely a mixed bag and depends on game and developer choice.. also depending on the TV manufacturer depends on the quality of the process and output you get with the setting on or off. There are a few points to consider when thinking
    if on or off. First, source image data is the only true, real representation of the content so processing it one way or another may not be accurate to the creators vision.The final image may look improved and higher colors and tones to your eyes with on or
    off but is also not always true to life. In the end it once again comes down to personal preference and the type and level of quality of display used. On my displays I have my settings specific to optimal picture including tone and motion clarity for each
    device and my picture is outstanding and blows me away...to you it might not be your liking. I saw your choice as honestly with combinations of games and technology using similar functions the difference is negligible and really up to you. I typically have
    2 display settings saved in my TV to switch between depending on the content, but both are set to my personal preferences after I do the TV Calibration tool and hdr tool a few times on both options to maximize them.
  4. SwordofWhedon Win User

Dynamic Tone Mapping is fake HDR, you definitely should have it off. Also turn off any sort of motion smoothing.
  5. Hardcore Games™ Win User

HDR and tone mapping are handled by the game in the Xbox One, the new console has better support for HDR
  6. LadyDeathtrip Win User

Hi RoOhDini,

It really depends on the game you are playing, it can help for some but not for others, Resident Evil 2 has a built in dynamic tone mapper that doesn't really work toowell with the TV feature if active.
    I myself go through the TV calibration tools and he new HDR tool a couple times with a few different settings to find what is most visually pleasing to me. It really does come down to personal preference as everyone has different visual acuity, devices and
    lighting in their homes which affect how things look. Best of luck!
Thema:

1. HDR calibration and Dynamic Tone Mapping on xbox series x - Similar Threads - HDR calibration Dynamic

2. Xbox Series X HDR Calibration Issues

in XboX Insiders
    Xbox Series X HDR Calibration Issues: I have my series x connected to a projector and the image is very dark. I've tried adjusting the HDR and other video settings (on the console and projector) but nothing solves the issue. I have a...
  3. Does it make sense than when you have Dolby Vision enabled then the HDR calibration app...

in XboX Insiders
    Does it make sense than when you have Dolby Vision enabled then the HDR calibration app...: I got Dolby Vision enabled and its working with various games but I noticed that the HDR Calibration app defaults to regular HDR instead. Is this correct or is this a possible bug? I want to be...
  4. Game HDR Calibration resets after updates

in XboX Insiders
    Game HDR Calibration resets after updates: I have noticed that I have a trend - it is not absolutely every time - but after about half of my updates (Beta Ring) my XSeX "Game HDR Calibration" has to be redone. It does not take long to do...
  5. HDR CALIBRATION PROBLEM ON SERIES X (cant save my settings).

in XboX Insiders
    HDR CALIBRATION PROBLEM ON SERIES X (cant save my settings).: Hi .I v noticed that the settings on HDR calibration screens r not saved. Every time i restart the console i must do the same process again.Do u face the same problem?Thanks in advance submitted...
  6. HDR Calibration settings always gone on Series X

in XBoX Games and Apps
    HDR Calibration settings always gone on Series X: Hi. i have a LG CX, and when i turn on the Series X i have to setup the hdr with the calibration app everytime. Why? It always resetting itself. 1416f226-40ac-445a-848c-f86a934b4147
  7. HDR Calibration App resets after every shutdown

in XBoX on Consoles
    HDR Calibration App resets after every shutdown: Problem: HDR Calibration App resets after every shutdown After every single shutdown / restart, (XSX in Energy Saving Mode) if you open the HDR Calibration App, it shows the exact values as the...
  8. HDR Calibration App resets after every shutdown

in XboX Insiders
    HDR Calibration App resets after every shutdown: Problem: HDR Calibration App resets after every shutdown After every single shutdown / restart, (XSX in Energy Saving Mode) if you open the HDR Calibration App, it shows the exact values as the...
  9. HDR Calibration Tool

in XBoX on Consoles
    HDR Calibration Tool: Hi, My setup is Xbox Series X + LG OLED 55 CX. HGIG mode on TV is enabled, then go to Xbox HDR Calibration tool, fit all 3 screens with checkerboards, done. Quit the HDR Calibration tool (or...
  10. HDR calibration and Dynamic Tone Mapping

in XBoX on Consoles
    HDR calibration and Dynamic Tone Mapping: Hello, I would like to know whether I should turn Dynamic Tone Mapping off when I calibrate HDR in the Xbox One X General TV & display options. 340f9349-fb50-49ac-8c88-7fff08c57f29