HDR / Dolby Vision no longer working on Xbox Series X

Discus and support HDR / Dolby Vision no longer working on Xbox Series X in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; After one of the recent console updates (within the last 2-3months), I've noticed that HDR is no longer working for any game on my Xbox Series X. All... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by anonymous_1_2_3, Sep 19, 2022.

1. HDR / Dolby Vision no longer working on Xbox Series X

After one of the recent console updates (within the last 2-3months), I've noticed that HDR is no longer working for any game on my Xbox Series X. All required check boxes under the 'Video Modes' sub-menu are present and I previously had all green ticks (and no errors) in the '4K TV Details' sub-menu. I have not made any setting changes to my Xbox or TV, and my gaming hardware setup/equipment has also remained exactly the same. I have written below in great detail as I simply want to avoid being asked to repeat unecessary troubleshooting, provide Tech Support with as much helpful information as possible and provide other customers experiencing similar with a well-documented issue log.

Troubleshooting completed so far:

- Three photos of my various Xbox console settings have been uploaded, so these should be visible.
    - Turned off and unplugged all devices, display cables and power cables, then reconnect all items after waiting 1hr+

- Verified that the same HDMI TV port and cable successfully display HDR 10 / Dolby Vision for my Apple TV 4K box (THIS IS NOT A TV OR CABLE ISSUE)

- Swapped HDMI TV port and cable anyway and tested xbox console to avoid being asked to do so later on.
    - Unchecked/power cycle/rechecked all HDR/DV settings under 'general'>tv display options>advanced>video modes.
    - Performed similar toggle and power cycle process for 60/120Hz, 1080p/4K resolution display settings to try and rule out a setting bug.
    - Factory reset my console via the available console system setting menus.

- Launched multiple games to test both current generation and backwards compatability.

- Used the helpful onscreen signal information tool on my LG C1 OLED TV to confirm that the signal received from the Xbox console is only SDR, whereas my Apple TV 4K box supplies full 4K HDR/DV using the same HDMI cable & port.
    - Connected my console to a friend's compatible TV and repeated all the same steps above with the same outcome.
    - I have already received a phone call from Microsoft Xbox Support where we just repeated the same troubleshooting that I already performed listed above. No resolution was achieved or further support offered.
    - There is a clear contradictory bug shown in the '4K TV Details' checklist where "HDR10 for gaming" and "Your TV supports Dolby Vision" is green ticked, but at the same time theres an error for "Your TV setup doesn't support HDR10 video. Content won't be shown in HDR".

- I have a STRONG suspicion that a recent firmware update that Microsoft pushed to consoles has broken HDR.

- If HDR functionality cannot be restored within a reasonable period of time, I will have to return my Xbox console under Warranty as it is not delivering the core performance features as marketed.

SIDE NOTE TO MICROSOFT/XBOX SUPPORT, SEPARATE ISSUE: There is a well documented (on this support website) and long term issue on the Xbox platform where there is a significant Audio Lag/desync/latency when sending audio signal via ARC/eARC. The audio lag is made even worse when the Dolby Atmos format is selected, but is present with all stereo/dolby formats that I've tested. Conversely, this issue is NOT present on other gaming consoles like Playstation. There has been zero response from Microsoft/Xbox support on this issue in numerous already-existing 'Ask A Question' posts now 1-2years old. Please acknowledge.

Console Model: Xbox Series X (connected directly to the TV HDMI 2.1 port)
    Console Firmware: 10.0.22621.1836 (last updated 09 September 2022)

TV Model: LG C1 65inch OLED (HDR10, Dolby Vision, 4K 120Hz compatible)

Cable: Microsoft's OE supplied ultra high speed HDMI 2.1 cable with console

HDR / Dolby Vision no longer working on Xbox Series X [​IMG]

:)

anonymous_1_2_3, Sep 19, 2022
  2. Viper7Gamer Win User

XBOX ONE X used as a Blu Ray player band Dolby Vision

Yes, 4K HDR Dolby Vision works with the Blu-Ray player and NetFlix on the Xbox One X.
  3. T3chnlgydude Win User

Xbox One X Dolby Vision games support late 2019

4. anonymous_1_2_3 Win User

UPDATE: I tracked it down to one of the console updates turning on "NIGHT MODE", specifically setting it to "Block HDR"
  5. Obsessive Power Win User

Do I need a new TV? (Skyrim Special Edition and the new Xbox One S)

I would hold off just a little while longer for a 4K TV. There are competing standards for HDR, with the two main ones being HDR-10 and Dolby Vision. The difference between them being the colour depth and peak brightness. HDR-10 is the standard
    chosen for UHD Blu-rays. Dolby Vision is the more advanced of the two but requires more processing hardware. Dolby Vision supports HDR-10 by default, but not the other way round.
  6. Deus ex Mox Win User

Dolby Vision - Blu-ray player app

Of course the Blu-Ray disks I'm using are UHD and have Dolby Vision.

Dolby Vision is enabled on Xbox One X settings, TV HDMI ports are in Enhanced mode (4:4:4 4K/UHD HDR 60Hz), and the TV test (that can be found inside Xbox menu) returns all green ticks for my Xbox-to-TV connection.

As said, Dolby Vision works with all streaming apps... but not when playing Blu-Ray UHD Dolby Vision disks.
Thema:

1. HDR / Dolby Vision no longer working on Xbox Series X - Similar Threads - HDR Dolby Vision

2. Xbox Games HDR Dolby Vision

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Xbox Games HDR Dolby Vision: Is it possible in a future update for that we have an option in the game manager that we can select in witch mode de game will launch because some games look better in HDR others with Dolby...
  3. Dolby Vision on Series X|S is currently messing up (washing out) regular HDR games and contents

in XboX Insiders
    Dolby Vision on Series X|S is currently messing up (washing out) regular HDR games and contents: As a follow up to Halo Infinite bad/broken native Dolby Vision implementation (which also needs to be fixed ASAP) I want to report that currently disabling "Dolby Vision for Games" flag from Xbox...
  4. Xbox Series X - Dolby Vision compatibility issues on LG C1 2021, HDR Mode too, menu freezes...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox Series X - Dolby Vision compatibility issues on LG C1 2021, HDR Mode too, menu freezes...: Hi all, Issue number 1 Right after the release of the new Xbox update that brought/enabled Dolby Vision for Games (DV4G) my LG C1 doesn't like the implementation of it. I can reproduce this by...
  5. Toggle for HDR & Dolby Vision Gaming?

in XboX Insiders
    Toggle for HDR & Dolby Vision Gaming?: During this time where Dolby Vision Gaming is not being natively driven and the fact that some games just look better with differing formats, I was thinking it would be awesome if there was a...
  6. HDR/Dolby Vision within the main menu?

in XboX Insiders
    HDR/Dolby Vision within the main menu?: Hi all! I've recently found in utilizing Dolby Vision at 120hz, and using eArc 5.1 Linear PCM there is an audible "pop" from the sound system when returning to the main menu. I'm fairly...
  7. Dolby Vision stopped working on Halo MCC for no reason? It just goes to HDR now.

in XboX Insiders
    Dolby Vision stopped working on Halo MCC for no reason? It just goes to HDR now.: I’ve trued restarting many times to no avail. submitted by /u/JuniperChaos [link] [comments]
  8. Dolby Vision reverted to HDR on Alpha

in XboX Insiders
    Dolby Vision reverted to HDR on Alpha: Ok, so I know this was a thing on the Skip Ahead build a few weeks ago., where LG TVs that previously worked fine with Dolby Vision for gaming stopped outputting in DV. I had that same issue and...
  9. The Ascent is not triggering Auto HDR /Dolby Vision mode

in XboX Insiders
    The Ascent is not triggering Auto HDR /Dolby Vision mode: Not sure if the programmers need to do something for it to be active - but PSO NGS doesn't have native HDR and has always triggered the auto HDR mode. Cheers submitted by /u/angelkrusher...
  10. Dolby vision and auto HDR? Not working

in XboX Insiders
    Dolby vision and auto HDR? Not working: So I’m assuming this is still a bug ? Where auto HDR does not work nether does Dolby vision i unticked the boxes and ticked them again and no fix restarted game and Xbox and nothing Had no...