HDR washed out on Xbox One X and S on Philips HDR1000 monitor.

Discus and support HDR washed out on Xbox One X and S on Philips HDR1000 monitor. in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; Hello everyone. I recently bought for the last Black Friday the combo new monitor + Xbox One X. The monitor I chose, after seeing numerous reviews,... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by tHe giafra sHoW, May 15, 2019.

1. HDR washed out on Xbox One X and S on Philips HDR1000 monitor.

Hello everyone.

I recently bought for the last Black Friday the combo new monitor + Xbox One X. The monitor I chose, after seeing numerous reviews, was the Philips Momentum 436M6VBPAB 43" 4K VESAHDR1000. In the last
    month, I've struggled to make HDR to work properly. The monitor is certified HDR1000 and is technically 8bit+FRC, but the One X regards it as having HDR 10 predisposition/capabilities, in the apposite tickbox menu everything is green-ticked as supported by
    the display. But there are problems with High Dynamic Range.

Every time I run a One X Enhanced game (which supports native 4K and HDR), the monitor, after entering in "HDR mode", shows all the colors undersaturated, like they were washed out; general brightness
    seems pumped up at the level that blacks almost become greys. I mean, if I turn off HDR mode the image looks 100x better. There is no point in trying to manipulate any HDR parameter both in the monitor and in game, because it still remains wrong/bad/faulty.
    Now, surfing the Internet and after staying at the phone with a Microsoft technician for three hours, I've come to know more about "color range". In particular, when HDR behaves like this, seems that there is a problem regarding the codecs the display and
    the console are using. I know that the RGB range code has to be the same. Some TVs seem to call this "HDMI black levels" or "color space". Now, getting to my point: on the One X I got an option to select the color space. I can choose between "Standard (Recommended)"
    and "PC-RGB". The Xbox, if I chose the latter, will warn in a message that "PC-RGB" uses the full RGB spectrum 0-255 and should be used only on monitors that are naturally predisposed to use that, while TVs generally run on a Limited 16-255 range. The problem
    is that on the Philips monitor I don't have any option to change this Color range / HDMI black levels. At all. The HDR washed out persists in both cases of what I choose on the Xbox in the color space option. Both Standard and PC-RGB still cause the same issue
    to HDR.

Furthermore, when using the calibration tool, at one point the xbox asks me to calibrate brightness to see a particular icon in a box, but I can never see it at any brightness level. The console suggests
    "If you can't see the icon at all, try changing the 'HDMI black levels' on your TV and set the color range in the Xbox to the same". But nothing changes, I can never see the "big closed eye" nor "the white sun". The only way to see them is setting the color
    bits to 24 bits, and the Standard RGB on the xbox, but in this case even if I am now able to see both the eye and the sun with these particular settings, I experience the opposite problem, they never fade if I try to calibrate the monitor. Plus HDR still looks
    greyish even while using these settings.

Reading the forum, somebody mentioned before that Xbox always had an issue with the option "PC RGB" color space and users claim it's been faulty since forever.

What should I do to get the true HDR experience on my monitor, then?

:)

tHe giafra sHoW, May 15, 2019
  2. MetalNutz Win User

Look up Fake HDR. Several games are using this so called Fake HDR including Red Dead 2. That could be your issue.
  3. tHe giafra sHoW Win User

Hey there

I would still say the same its just personal taste and what you like. If you dont like it you can turn it off

HDR can look differnt in every game yes its about Vibrant color and making them look sharper. Its also makes darks and grey looks sharper has well not just color but the whole picture. HDR is used differnt in differnt games so your experanice could be differnt
    in a other game for example in FH HDR is used too make the sence look good,. Where in Destiny 2 its used too make your suppers and guns firepower with all the blues and reds and greens. Each moniter may also give you a differnt experanice.
    Hello, I'm still firmly convinced that what I am experiencing is not a real HDR. I also showed the same games to some friends switching from SDR and HDR and they all think that HDR is far worse and looks washed out compared to SDR.

I have seen Youtube videos about HDR on this monitor with PS4 and PC, and what I'm getting looks nothing like that.

I opened lots of thread son Reddit and even studied the subject, and this washed out HDR occurs when there is a mismatch regarding black levels. In fact, if on the Xbox I run the calibration wizard, at some point the tool asks me to decrease contrast in
    order to not see the "big black closed eye", but I'm never able to see that. The wizard suggests that if I'm not able to see it, there is a mismatch regarding the HDMI deep blacks, also known as "color space". Since I'm using a monitor, it's fair to think
    that I should set on the xbox the "PC-RGB" (regular 0-255 range) but it still doesn't work. And many people on this very forums claim that this option is always been broken/faulty, I found so many threads where people had to get the chosen output after trying
    literally every combination in the Xbox video settings, but I still can't see the "big black closed eye" and the "white sun" in the calibration tool, so it's clear that something's is really wrong and not just in my mind or tastes.
  4. {Parity} Win User

Try performing a hard reset EXACTLY like this. Hold the power button on the console for 8 seconds or until the power shuts down completely.
    Unplug the power cord from the back of the console for 5 minutes.
    Plug the power cord back in and restart the console.
  5. XBF Erick C Win User

Hey there tHe giafra sHoW,

Sorry to hear you are running into this issue with the display. If you have already connected a different console to the same monitor and you are still experiencing the same issue, then it is possible that the Monitor is the problem. I would advise contacting

Philips Support
    to see if they can provide troubleshooting for this issue.

I would advise attempting to connect to a different monitor as well to make sure that it is not experiencing the same display issue on different monitors.

I hope this helps.
  6. Alucario Ultra Win User

Hello,

Thanks for using MS support forums.

For me, it looks like a monitor problem.

Have you tried to reach out the monitor support team?

Or well, the MS support team should be able to help too.

My recommendations are: try using another monitor, ask a friend to let you borrow for a few hours or take your console to his place. That should help to determine if it´s the monitor or the console.
Thema:

1. HDR washed out on Xbox One X and S on Philips HDR1000 monitor. - Similar Threads - HDR washed Philips

2. HDR not working (Grayish colors or washed out)

in XBoX Games and Apps
    HDR not working (Grayish colors or washed out): After the most recent update, I had to do today all my games that support HDR have a grayish tint over them. I turned off HDR and it looks normal so it's only when HDR is on. I was just using it...
  3. HDR colors are all washed out after update.

in XboX Insiders
    HDR colors are all washed out after update.: After updating yesterday colors in all my games that support HDR are all washed out and have a grayish tint over it + the Xbox live menu when I press the home button. I tried resetting the...
  4. Xbox HDR screenshots look washed out

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox HDR screenshots look washed out: I didn't have this issue yesterday. My screenshots in HDR make SDR look really good. The older screenshots I took in HDR look like they were also effected. I need help....
  5. Sony DH800: 4K HDR washed out/Dim

in XBoX TV Hardware
    Sony DH800: 4K HDR washed out/Dim: Sony (Audio/Video Receivers) DH800: 4K HDR washed out/Dim I have the same issue as well. I have the Sony Bravia X900E 65 inch and it's doing the same exact thing. When i turn HDR off the picture...
  6. HDR dark dull and washed out

in XBoX on Consoles
    HDR dark dull and washed out: Hello all! I have had my Xbox for a while now and I had hdr up and running for a while until their was an update going back 6-12 months ago which made Horizon 3 really dull and dark was when...
  7. Netflix App on Xbox One X Forces HDR when it shouldn't. Dark/Gray/Washed-out Colors.

in XBoX on Consoles
    Netflix App on Xbox One X Forces HDR when it shouldn't. Dark/Gray/Washed-out Colors.: Have been having a major issue with my X (and specifically Netflix) like many others and it's STILL not fixed. Let me first give an equipment overview: 1) Xbox One X - Killer console and...
  8. Forza Motorsport 7 & Rise of the Tomb Raider - HDR colors are washed out, or grey looking.

in XBoX on Consoles
    Forza Motorsport 7 & Rise of the Tomb Raider - HDR colors are washed out, or grey looking.: Hello all, I am a happy owner of an Xbox One X Scorpio. I also have a fully compatible 4K HDR 55" Sony which has all green ticks in the Xbox settings for HDR, 4k, 10 bit colors etc. I have...
  9. Xbox Oe X Scorpio HDR Washed Out

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox Oe X Scorpio HDR Washed Out: I received my Scorpio edition today and got everything setup but upon checking Netflix anything in HDR is completely washed out. I have tried 5 different cables, every TV setting, and every Xbox...
  10. hdr looks so washed out no colour crap

in XBoX on Consoles
    hdr looks so washed out no colour crap: hdr looks utter rubbish what is up with these xbox one s consoles 48252bd7-64a7-4318-89a8-9f7b0ed9f99a