Headset not working with Xbox and muted microphone icon has appeared on screen

Discus and support Headset not working with Xbox and muted microphone icon has appeared on screen in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; Hi, I have seen a couple of old threads with similar content to this but having read through them I still can't find a resolution despite this being... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by WinterMink68339, Oct 13, 2018.

1. Headset not working with Xbox and muted microphone icon has appeared on screen

Hi,

I have seen a couple of old threads with similar content to this but having read through them I still can't find a resolution despite this being quite a commonly reported problem, so I thought I would also ask the question myself in the hope that someone
    now has an answer!

My son's headset has randomly stopped working, both the microphone and the earphones, although the headset works when plugged into other devices. We can also hear sound normally through the TV, just not once
    the headset is plugged into the controller!

We've already tried the following but it has not resolved the issue;

• Swapping the headset and changing the controller
    • Switched everything on/off
    • Ran updates
    • Followed various online troubleshooting instructions and YouTube videos
    • Checked all possible settings including; Xbox, headset and TV settings
    • Completed a 'return to factory settings' and set up devices from scratch

We've also noticed that in the top right hand corner of the screen there is a new microphone icon, which is showing as muted and we can't find anywhere to unmute this in the settings.

I can only seem to link on this site with a virtual assistant so I wasn't sure where else to try! Any help will be gratefully received.

Many thanks!

:)

WinterMink68339, Oct 13, 2018
  2. Headset /Microphone Stopped Working One Minute working Next Minute Nothing

Tried Everything nothing working. Please Help.

Chatted to Support they couldnt help me.

Icon showing near battery saying Microphone Muted however Headset not muted and no where on screen to show up volume or muted .. HELP My Son is driving me Bonkas with this. Wants to talk to his mates.

Thanks

TatteredCorgi42, Oct 13, 2018
  3. sevendead
    sevendead Guest
    Xbox saying headset is plugged in when it's not.

I see you've played Dance Central 2 so I'm assuming you have a Kinect. Even if you have the Kinect muted for game chat it still displays an audio icon to show that you have a microphone on in games.

Not sure why your headset isnt actually working unless the Kinect mic isn't muted and is overriding the headset.

sevendead, Oct 13, 2018
  4. XBF George L
    XBF George L Guest

Hello Winter,

Thank you for taking time and bringing this to our attention. Can you give us a little more information about your issue? What kind of headset is it that you're trying to use? Just to clarify did you use the same headset on both controls or test another
    headset on both controls?

The symbol of a muted microphone is the sign that no headset is being detected. If the headset was being detected it would be a little headset symbol in that space. (Is it using an adapter or plugged into the control)

I recommend while you have the headset plugged in and maybe change the batteries to

Update your Xbox One Controller

Should that have issues it can also be a NAT type issue, so I would recommend to set up ports with your internet provider.

Network ports used by Xbox Live on Xbox One

Hope this helps.

XBF George L, Oct 14, 2018
  5. Hi XBF George,

Thanks for your reply.

It is a Sades SA-810 headset and we tried it on two controllers. We also tried the headset that came with the Xbox One on both controllers (plugged directly into the controllers with no adapter) but it made no difference. The headset doesn't have any batteries
    and we've already updated the controller.

Any other suggestions gratefully appreciated!

Thanks

WinterMink68339, Oct 17, 2018
  6. Hi there Winter!

Thanks for reaching out! If you already tried the troubleshooting articles provided above. The next recommendation is to test the headset on other devices to ensure its functioning. XBF George mentioned, setting up ports with your internet provider will
    help set up the NAT for any multiplayer features here is the article : Network ports used by Xbox Live on Xbox
    One

• Were you able to port forward the Xbox Ports for the network configuration?
    If the problem persists please make sure the
    headset is compatible with the Xbox One

Also, feel free to check out the
    Sades Forum Support.

Hope this helps.

XBF Crystal P, Nov 3, 2018
  7. WinterMink68339 Win User

Hi XBF George,

Thanks for your reply.

It is a Sades SA-810 headset and we tried it on two controllers. We also tried the headset that came with the Xbox One on both controllers (plugged directly into the controllers with no adapter) but it made no difference. The headset doesn't have any batteries
    and we've already updated the controller.

Any other suggestions gratefully appreciated!

Thanks
  8. AquarrzSudnnym Win User

G'day,

There are numerous posts on this forum about this issue. Pretty sure if you use the search function you will find the answer. Try "Solution to Headset showing Mute on Screen" or just "Headset".
  9. SpiralOut46and2 Win User

If it's happening with any game you play, then check your Party settings and make sure that you haven't accidentally muted yourself. If it's only with one game, you can check the in-game settings, as some games have settings for party or chat and you might
    be muted there as well.
  10. SA1NT 0F LI3S Win User

Hey man it sounds like you may need to your chat mixer and unmute yourself
  11. XBF George L Win User

Hello Winter,

Thank you for taking time and bringing this to our attention. Can you give us a little more information about your issue? What kind of headset is it that you're trying to use? Just to clarify did you use the same headset on both controls or test another
    headset on both controls?

The symbol of a muted microphone is the sign that no headset is being detected. If the headset was being detected it would be a little headset symbol in that space. (Is it using an adapter or plugged into the control)

I recommend while you have the headset plugged in and maybe change the batteries to

Update your Xbox One Controller

Should that have issues it can also be a NAT type issue, so I would recommend to set up ports with your internet provider.

Network ports used by Xbox Live on Xbox One

Hope this helps.
Thema:

1. Headset not working with Xbox and muted microphone icon has appeared on screen - Similar Threads - Headset working muted

2. Headset not working

in XBoX on Consoles
    Headset not working: Hello everyone! Need help on what may be the problem. Having trouble with getting the xbox/controller to recognize that there is a headset plugged in. Looked at all the settings and everything...
  3. STEREO HEADSET ADAPTER DOESNT WORK ON MY CONTROLLER

in XBoX on Consoles
    STEREO HEADSET ADAPTER DOESNT WORK ON MY CONTROLLER: I bought this brand new Turtle beach earforce stereo adapter for xbox one (I have a day one controller) . When i plug it in all it does is give a continous ear piercing sound. When i press any...
  4. Will my Omen Mindframe Headset work if i connect them to the usb port of my Xbox One?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Will my Omen Mindframe Headset work if i connect them to the usb port of my Xbox One?: I recently got this headset but when I connect them to the Xbox (on the usb port) i just can turn them on but I cant talk or hear anything. What I need to do to make them work?...
  5. Headset not working with Xbox and muted microphone icon has appeared on screen

in XBoX on Consoles
    Headset not working with Xbox and muted microphone icon has appeared on screen: Headset not working with Xbox and muted microphone icon has appeared on screen. I've tried multiple headsets and multiple controllers issue remains. c69204be-bae1-4881-8adf-b6896ddbbd35
  6. Headsets suddenly quit working.

in XBoX on Consoles
    Headsets suddenly quit working.: I have 2 controllers and 2 headsets. The controllers worked with the headsets up until today then just cut out. I tried to connect the headsets to each controler with the same result resetting the...
  7. Mute button always on/headset not working

in XBoX on Consoles
    Mute button always on/headset not working: I have replied to a few other people’s posts, but I will post another so the support staff can tell how many people truly are having this issue. A few months ago, our headset stopped working first...
  8. Xbox One Stuck on Mute - Headset Tested and Works!

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox One Stuck on Mute - Headset Tested and Works!: Our Xbox has suddenly muted itself, we’ve tried all the trouble shooting guides online and nothing has worked. Firmware up to date, powered down and restarted, connected it by USB, checked the...
  9. My headset is not working, headset muted?

in XBoX on Consoles
    My headset is not working, headset muted?: I've been looking online for a fix to it all day, my microphone (Turtle Beach xo seven) works fine, I've tried to plug it into my phone and I can hear audio and use the microphone just fine. When...
  10. Stereo headset adapter no longer working - stuck on mute

in XBoX on Consoles
    Stereo headset adapter no longer working - stuck on mute: Just in the past week I have found my stereo headset adapter has just been stuck on mute, and wont unmute. It has been working for months up to this point, which is strange. I tried updating the...