How can I change my child's (MS Family) permissions to allow them to add friends in...

Discus and support How can I change my child's (MS Family) permissions to allow them to add friends in... in XBoX on Windows to solve the problem; I have just set up MS family on a new PC, created a Microsoft account for my child, and bought Minecraft with it. It works but it won't let him add... Discussion in 'XBoX on Windows' started by Johnny_Dee, Apr 9, 2020.

1. Johnny_Dee
    Johnny_Dee Guest

How can I change my child's (MS Family) permissions to allow them to add friends in...

I have just set up MS family on a new PC, created a Microsoft account for my child, and bought Minecraft with it. It works but it won't let him add friends. It says:

"You need permission

You cannot add friends because of how your microsoft account is set up. This can be changed in your privacy and online safety settings on aka.ms/accountsettings"

I've followed this and logged in with my (adult) MS account, but I can't find where I can give him these permissions. I've searched various threads, including one which offers the advice below, but I can't find it that way either:

"Also, the parent account should make sure that his account is allowed to add friends online. You can do that by heading to
    https://account.microsoft.com and click on Family. "

I thought about accessing Minecraft through my profile, adding friends that way but I can't even run it as it was bought on his child account.

Can anyone help?

Thanks,

:)

Johnny_Dee, Apr 9, 2020
  2. Johnny_Dee Win User

How can I change my child's (MS Family) permissions to allow them to add friends in Minecraft (Win10 PC version - Not Java)?

Hi Brad

Many thanks I think this has sorted it as Minecraft now opens an Xbox Console Companion window and appears to allow me to search for his friends. We'll carry on tomorrow.

I have to say that it wasn't that easy to find these things even with your instruction, but I got there in the end. I've kind of got this feeling that I might be getting too old for this stuff ;-)

Thanks!
  3. jaghuar Win User

How can I change my child's (MS Family) permissions to allow them to add friends in Minecraft (Win10 PC version - Not Java)?

I have activated all these settings and my child’s profile still cannot add friends on minecraft. I can join his world but he cannot join my world. He shows 1 friend on the friends tab but it doesn’t show any joinable friends or my world inside the friends
    tab. I have even changed all settings to allow everything (defeats the purpose) and I still cannot add friends on his account. Please help!!!!!!
  4. XBF Leo G Win User

Hello jaghuar,

Thank you for posting on the Xbox forums. We will be locking this thread due to it being revived by a new post. If there are any questions, discussions or issues that anyone would like to bring to our attention, please create a new thread. We will be
    more than happy to answer any questions or provide solutions for any issues. Thank you again and happy gaming
    jaghuar!
  5. XBF Brad A Win User

Hello Johnny,

Thanks for coming to the forums with your issue. Sounds like the cross play is not enabled in settings, were you able to look at the
    privacy and online settings? We will give you the
    steps to change the exact ones for the cross platform use.

1. You will go to the Xbox websiteand sign in on the adult profile.

2. Once signed in, click your picture top right corner go to Xbox profile.

3. Click on privacy settings.

4. Once in settings, under the picture see Privacy, Xbox One/Windows 10 online safety. Select the Xbox one/Windows 10 online safety.

5. You will see you gamertag you are looking for one setting:

6. The two you want to make sure say allow and everybody are:
      1. "you can play with people outside of Xbox live" set to allow

2. Now click on privacy you are looking for one setting:

"you can communicate outside of Xbox live with voice and text" set to allow

Hope this helps.

Brad
  6. Boom B00M Boom Win User

To change privacy and safety settings for a child

These settings help you manage how others see your child's profile, communicate with your child, and interact with your child's content. You can also make sure your child only sees age appropriate games, content, and websites.

1. Go to Xbox.com and sign in to your account (this must be an adult account).

Note

If you’ve forgotten your account email address or password, see the Lost Account Solution or the Lost
      Password Solution
    2. Select More options , then select Xbox settings.
    3. Select Privacy & online safety.
    4. Select the gamertag for your child's account.
    5. Select either the Xbox One/Windows 10 Online Safety tab or the Privacy tab. Review the current settings and update any that you want to change.
    6. Select Save before leaving or switching to another tab. If you don't save the changes before you move to the other tab, your changes won't be saved.
    7. Have your child sign in and then sign out of their account to make sure the changes take effect.
Thema:

1. How can I change my child's (MS Family) permissions to allow them to add friends in... - Similar Threads - change child's Family

2. Family Account: Change type from member to organizer (Child to adult)

in XBoX on Consoles
    Family Account: Change type from member to organizer (Child to adult): How do I convert a child account (member) to and adult account (organizer)? I've modified every known setting and my son is still unable to make xbox purchases under a child account, even when I...
  3. Can’t change privacy settings for my child’s account on family sharing for XBox

in XBoX on Consoles
    Can’t change privacy settings for my child’s account on family sharing for XBox: I read on a thread that the issue I am having is a common one when a family sharing and child account was set up on an IOS device as mine was. I want to change the setting to allow him to play...
  4. Changing a Child's email address in a family group.

in XBoX on Consoles
    Changing a Child's email address in a family group.: i know this has been asked, but creating an alias for my adult email address is not going to cut it I need to be able to change my child's email address and carry over his gamertag info to the...
  5. Change the real name of a child in my family

in XBoX on Consoles
    Change the real name of a child in my family: One of my family members has an incorrect real name. I cannot see the option to change the real name in my childs profile whether I try to edit it through my own account or their account. How do...
  6. How do I change my child’s name and email in the family account?

in XBoX Accessibility
    How do I change my child’s name and email in the family account?: I need to change my son’s name and email address. When I go to Your Family -> Manage my child’s profile info -> select child, I am not able to update the name or email address. Where can this be...
  7. How do I change my child account to an adult account in my family settings?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    How do I change my child account to an adult account in my family settings?: My son can not play cross platform games under a child account on his Xbox one. Please resolve 37e41639-d4da-41e1-8f53-15ca37d2a744
  8. Cannot change the settings of a child account in my family.

in XBoX on Consoles
    Cannot change the settings of a child account in my family.: Me and my sister are playing Minecraft, and she cannot play multiplayer and said that we had to change the settings, so I added her at the "Microsoft family" as a child account and mine as an...
  9. Changing a family member from child to adult.

in XBoX on Consoles
    Changing a family member from child to adult.: I am having problems with my sons account connecting to some (not all) online games, the latest is Star Wars Beta. Its not clear but I suspect EA think his account is a child account ie under 13...
  10. Need to change Xbox Live Adult account to Child account (Family Settings)

in XBoX on Consoles
    Need to change Xbox Live Adult account to Child account (Family Settings): I don't know how I've cocked this up but I added 3 children to 'my family' on the Xbox One, 2 are showing as child accounts and I can control what they can and can't do, the 3rd account seems to...