How Do I format an external drive to use the entire drive if its above 2 TB?

Discus and support How Do I format an external drive to use the entire drive if its above 2 TB? in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; I was reading that the Xbox One wont use any space on an external drive above 2 TB. Is this true? If not how do I format the drive to use the entire... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by Lord of XBones, Aug 28, 2014.

1. How Do I format an external drive to use the entire drive if its above 2 TB?

I was reading that the Xbox One wont use any space on an external drive above 2 TB. Is this true?

If not how do I format the drive to use the entire drive?

:)

Lord of XBones, Aug 28, 2014
  2. User 9242019
    User 9242019 Guest
    External Hard Drive for xbox one

An external drive can only be used with the Xbox One. You will be forced to format the entire drive for that use. No partitioning is allowed.

User 9242019, Aug 28, 2014
  3. External Hard Drives: De-Formatting From Xbox One

I am going to tell you how to remove the formatting on a External Hard Drive from a Xbox One.

Requirements:

Xbox 360

1. Insert external hard drive into Xbox 360

2. Go into System

3. Go into Storage

4. Press 'Y' on External Hard Drive (Will be called "unformatted device")

5. Click on Format

6. The External Hard Drive will now contain the Xbox 360's formatting.

7. If you do not want the Xbox 360's formatting on the External Hard Drive, all you need to do is format the External Hard Drive on a computer. Otherwise, if you don't care that the Xbox 360's formatting is on the External Hard Drive, then ignore this step.

Hope This Helped Anyone Who Did Not Know How To Remove An Xbox One's Formatting From An External Hard Drive!

Rhys Spagnolo, Aug 28, 2014
  4. How Do I format an external drive to use the entire drive if its above 2 TB?

disregard I plugged it in and it formatted my drive above 2tb

Lord of XBones, Aug 28, 2014
  5. Lord of XBones Win User

disregard I plugged it in and it formatted my drive above 2tb
  6. {Parity} Win User

Seagate 2TB Game Drive Issue

To use an external drive for games on the One the entire drive has to be formatted by the One and used exclusively for storing your games.
  7. User 9242019 Win User

External Hard Drive for xbox one

An external drive can only be used with the Xbox One. You will be forced to format the entire drive for that use. No partitioning is allowed.
  8. {Parity} Win User

external hard drive with partition

It can be changed when you format it on the computer but when you put in on the xbox to use it it will reformat and use the entire drive for the purpose you decide. If you want to use it for games then it will format the entire drive to use for games. As
    SN1P3R SK33T says you can not use an external drive on the xbox for two separate purposes it will either be used entirely for games/apps or entirely for media.

Hope this helps.
  9. itsonlyacomputa Win User

XBOX One Not recognizing External Hard Drive as USB 3.0

READ THIS BEFORE GIVING UP (QUALIFIED TECHNICIAN)

All USB 3.0 Ext HDD including SATAII are formatted to NTFS unless specified by manufacturer.

This is windows standard format for use on PC. If you buy an external drive even one that is formatted for Mac you plug this new external HDD into either a PC or Mac as formatted for, then go to the formatting features in that device to reformat this external
    HDD to Xbox parameters.

Select the formatting code Fat32 (only) and quick format the new external without partitions. Choosing to check every block in long formatting is not necessary as this drive is new.

Once the drive is formatted to Fat32 remove it from PC/Mac and then connect it to your Xbox (whatever version) and turn on that device.

A window will appear before login, asking you to select the type of use for this external drive.

Select the games option for storage of game content and do not make it the preferred storage of new content. It is a library backup not a main drive for game play. If you intend to use this new storage for music and videos it requires different formatting
    to the games option. You cannot have both on the same drive.

Let your Xbox do its thing and then check the drive by going into 'settings' and selecting 'storage' to see the drive in your system settings.

You will notice that your formatted external drive loses a lot of Gb, as in 4Tb will be 3.6Tb. This is because the formatted drive is in large blocks probably 128Kb shrinking the drive space to Fat32 128Kb not NTFS.

Don't use a program to change this external to Xbox format (AOMEI Partition Pro allows multi layer HDD formatting for technicians). Changing the format parameters in Fat32 will render your format to no longer work on Xbox and you will need to redo the entire
    format procedure.

On partitioning, you can have a single external drive with 2 partitions connected to your Xbox but these partitions cannot serve different purpose. E.g., you cannot have 1 partition for games and the 2nd for music and photos. You can have 2 partitions for
    game storage on one device but why bother. Separate partitions on the same external must have the same formatting. Hence, don't partition, just add another external drive.

You can have up to 2 external drives on an Xbox One upwards. But note, the external should be used for storage of games, not a drive for play.
    It is necessary to extend one specific option here
    - if you intend to play from an external drive
    , buy a powered SATAII external drive as it will not break easily. This is far more reliable than an SSD of similar and these USB 3.2 SATAII drives start at 4Tb storage size and get very large
    at 20Tb of saved data on one drive. SATAII is not cheap but it will outlast all other external options.

A faster drive does not transfer at a faster speed than the set parameters of the Operating System settings. Most people don't read the technical information on how their device functions as a stable unit, especially Xbox users. Xbox One upwards runs 5400rpm
    and no higher. It is why you can buy very good external HDDs at a fraction of price to extend your units onboard storage and not be at a loss for exaggerated hype that serves only to confuse the real terminology herein. Learn from an expert.
Thema:

1. How Do I format an external drive to use the entire drive if its above 2 TB? - Similar Threads - format external drive

2. External Hard Drive Formatting Time

in XBoX on Consoles
    External Hard Drive Formatting Time: So, I just want to know how long it should take to format an external hard drive for games and apps. I have a 2tb hard drive, it has been nearly 2 days and it has still not finished formatting....
  3. How to format an external hard drive for xbox one

in XBoX on Consoles
    How to format an external hard drive for xbox one: My external isn't detected by my xbox... It's 1TB plugged in by USB 3.O so what's the matter? 9360f303-94c0-4961-b784-6b9b3cb451f4
  4. External Drive won't Format

in XBoX on Consoles
    External Drive won't Format: I recently got a new Xbox and bought an external 2TB 3.0 USB hard drive for it. It's fresh out the box so it is completely blank. When I plug it into the XBOX One it is detected and gives the...
  5. External hard drive recognising but not formatting

in XBoX on Consoles
    External hard drive recognising but not formatting: I bought an external hard drive for my sons xbox that is 2TB and claims to be USB 3.0. The xbox recognises it but when i hit format to format it for games and apps nothing happens. The HD makes a...
  6. Formatting External hard drive questions.

in XBoX on Consoles
    Formatting External hard drive questions.: I just bought 4TB external hard drive for my Xbox one S. It prompted me to format it and I selected the non-media option. 1. Should a progress bar be displayed? 2. How long will it take to...
  7. Formatting a Seagate external hard drive

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Formatting a Seagate external hard drive: Hello So some games on my xbox were non transfering from my internal hard drive to my extern hard drive. I tried a hard reset and plugged the external hard drive to a new USB port. These options...
  8. External Hard drive game recovery, and Format storage device error

in XBoX on Consoles
    External Hard drive game recovery, and Format storage device error: I have had a 2 TB seagate external storage device for about a year now, this past Saturday I came back from vacation to my xbox telling me I needed to format my storage device, and saying it was...
  9. Xbox Failing to Format External Drive

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox Failing to Format External Drive: I have been using my Western Digital 2TB my passport ultra hard drive with my xbox one for about a year now without any issues. After the most recent update on 10/23/19, It detects the hard drive...
  10. External hard drive issues and formatting

in XBoX Accessibility
    External hard drive issues and formatting: Hello everyone. I have seen several people complaining about external hard drives not working with their consoles and I have recently had this problem as well. I have found an answer to this...