How Do I format an external drive to use the entire drive if its above 2 TB?

Discus and support How Do I format an external drive to use the entire drive if its above 2 TB? in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; I was reading that the Xbox One wont use any space on an external drive above 2 TB. Is this true? If not how do I format the drive to use the entire... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by Lord of XBones, Aug 28, 2014.

1. How Do I format an external drive to use the entire drive if its above 2 TB?

I was reading that the Xbox One wont use any space on an external drive above 2 TB. Is this true?

If not how do I format the drive to use the entire drive?

:)

Lord of XBones, Aug 28, 2014
  2. User 9242019
    User 9242019 Guest
    External Hard Drive for xbox one

An external drive can only be used with the Xbox One. You will be forced to format the entire drive for that use. No partitioning is allowed.

User 9242019, Aug 28, 2014
  3. External Hard Drives: De-Formatting From Xbox One

I am going to tell you how to remove the formatting on a External Hard Drive from a Xbox One.

Requirements:

Xbox 360

1. Insert external hard drive into Xbox 360

2. Go into System

3. Go into Storage

4. Press 'Y' on External Hard Drive (Will be called "unformatted device")

5. Click on Format

6. The External Hard Drive will now contain the Xbox 360's formatting.

7. If you do not want the Xbox 360's formatting on the External Hard Drive, all you need to do is format the External Hard Drive on a computer. Otherwise, if you don't care that the Xbox 360's formatting is on the External Hard Drive, then ignore this step.

Hope This Helped Anyone Who Did Not Know How To Remove An Xbox One's Formatting From An External Hard Drive!

Rhys Spagnolo, Aug 28, 2014
  4. How Do I format an external drive to use the entire drive if its above 2 TB?

disregard I plugged it in and it formatted my drive above 2tb

Lord of XBones, Aug 28, 2014
  5. Lord of XBones Win User

disregard I plugged it in and it formatted my drive above 2tb
  6. {Parity} Win User

Seagate 2TB Game Drive Issue

To use an external drive for games on the One the entire drive has to be formatted by the One and used exclusively for storing your games.
  7. User 9242019 Win User

External Hard Drive for xbox one

An external drive can only be used with the Xbox One. You will be forced to format the entire drive for that use. No partitioning is allowed.
  8. {Parity} Win User

external hard drive with partition

It can be changed when you format it on the computer but when you put in on the xbox to use it it will reformat and use the entire drive for the purpose you decide. If you want to use it for games then it will format the entire drive to use for games. As
    SN1P3R SK33T says you can not use an external drive on the xbox for two separate purposes it will either be used entirely for games/apps or entirely for media.

Hope this helps.
  9. XBF Brad A Win User

External hard drive

Hello There,

The only thing needed to do as mentioned above is to reformat the drive on the PC. Then when you plug into the console to format it for games. If you are unsure on how to format the external drive you can search on the web, or go to the manufacturers website.
    You can only connect a external hard drive by USB.

https://support.xbox.com/games/troubleshooting/console-doesnt-detect-external-storage

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Brad
Thema:

1. How Do I format an external drive to use the entire drive if its above 2 TB? - Similar Threads - format external drive

2. Xbox Failing to Format External Drive

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox Failing to Format External Drive: I have been using my Western Digital 2TB my passport ultra hard drive with my xbox one for about a year now without any issues. After the most recent update on 10/23/19, It detects the hard drive...
  3. External hard drive issues and formatting

in XBoX Accessibility
    External hard drive issues and formatting: Hello everyone. I have seen several people complaining about external hard drives not working with their consoles and I have recently had this problem as well. I have found an answer to this...
  4. New external HHD will not work saying it needs USB 3.0 when it is.

in XBoX on Consoles
    New external HHD will not work saying it needs USB 3.0 when it is.: I have now purchased 2 different external HHD's for my XBOX one S, both are well over 256GB and both USB 3.0. One of the HDD was a 2TB and that told me that I needed one with 256GB storage or...
  5. Formatting external hard drive

in XBoX on Consoles
    Formatting external hard drive: I installed games on an external hard drive. XBox One will not save progress to it. I get error message 0x80830003 which is storage full. If I go further it says my external hard drive is not...
  6. Capturing Game Clips to External Drive Requires NTFS Format Question

in XBoX on Consoles
    Capturing Game Clips to External Drive Requires NTFS Format Question: Hello everyone, I'm trying to capture extended game clips to an external hard drive. When I connect it and change the save location in settings it gives me the option of Internal or EFI. I'm...
  7. Xbox One X External Hard Drive Format

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox One X External Hard Drive Format: Split from this thread. How do you change the format for games to a NTFS format? c1a73eef-6231-4f7f-90b9-c45e0c508d1b
  8. Can xbox one read external drives in exFAT format, delete files from them or download new ones ...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Can xbox one read external drives in exFAT format, delete files from them or download new ones ...: Can xbox one read external drives in exFAT format, delete files from them or download new ones from the Internet? f68074af-48ed-4f11-85b2-36c4ef7b596c
  9. External Hard Drive Not Formatting

in XBoX on Consoles
    External Hard Drive Not Formatting: I just bought a 500 gb external hard drive with a USB 3.0 and connected to my Xbox one. It detects it but only as a media storage device, it doesn't ask me if I want to format, what should I do?...
  10. Cant Format external Hard drive

in XBoX on Consoles
    Cant Format external Hard drive: I'm not able to format my external hard drive for my xbox one. I was just using it but needed to use it for another device and now when I plug it into my xbox to reformat it the xbox reads the...