How to fix an Xbox Series X controller's Xbox button being unresponsive?

Discus and support How to fix an Xbox Series X controller's Xbox button being unresponsive? in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; I set up my brand-new Xbox this past weekend and have probably logged maybe ten to fifteen hours on it if we're being generous and earlier today my... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by Shadowstormme, Jun 30, 2022.

1. How to fix an Xbox Series X controller's Xbox button being unresponsive?

I set up my brand-new Xbox this past weekend and have probably logged maybe ten to fifteen hours on it if we're being generous and earlier today my controller's Xbox button became effectively unresponsive. I was moving between the Microsoft Store and rewards app, opening and closing the guide multiple times with no issue until suddenly, it wouldn't open.

I repeatedly tried pressing the Xbox button with no response. I attempted to hold it to try and turn the controller off and on again also with no luck. The controller was on, it was connected, all the other buttons still worked perfectly fine, only the Xbox button had changed. To be clear I am by no means rough on my devices, I never experienced anything like this with my One X controller over four years of far more extensive use and I have been downright babying the series x since they are still rather hard to come by where I am.

After much trial and error, I did find that if you press it extremely hard and at the right angle it will once again work but I am concerned that this is at best a temporary solution and one that will only negatively impact the controller as it's clearly not how it's meant to be used.

To fix it I have tried:

-Updating the controller - there was an update, but it didn't fix the problem

-Restarting the console both through the settings menu and just by pressing the power button - both yielded no change

-Doing a full shutdown via the settings menu - nothing

-Power cycling the console multiple times - nothing

-Connecting the controller to the console via a USB cable - still nothing

Is there anything else I can try, or do I just need to start an order for a repair/replacement?

:)

Shadowstormme, Jun 30, 2022
  2. JosefLBohorquez Win User

Hi and thanks for reaching Microsoft Xbox gamer's community. My name is Josef.

I'm an Independent Advisor and a Microsoft Xbox user like you.

Hope you're doing great today Shadowstormme

It seems that you already tried all the troubleshooting steps for controllers, and as you said before, the button works but only if you press it in a certain way, which is not normal

So yes, the best option now is start a repair/replacement order
  3. WUIJIBOBO Win User

Xbox one controller

The Xbox Series X controllers will work on Xbox One consoles, and the Xbox One controllers (including the Elite/Elite V2) will work on Xbox Series X too.

This is a link to an external site which
    confirms the backwards and forwards compatibility for controllers.
  4. SammyVS Win User

Xbox series S controller already synced.

I'm Samy an independent advisor. Welcome to the Xbox community. How are you?

It's normal. My Xbox Series X and Series S came well packaged and I didn't need to hit the bind buttons to sync the controllers.
  5. XBF Mohammed C Win User

Question on how to refresh the Home Screen on my Series S

6. Viper7Gamer Win User

Series X controller wish?

I like the little changes to it, the share button is nice. But I will be using my Elite Series 2 Controller when the Xbox Series X comes out.
Thema:

1. How to fix an Xbox Series X controller's Xbox button being unresponsive? - Similar Threads - fix Series controller's

2. Nothing on Xbox series x controller works but home button and triggers, anyone know how to fix?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Nothing on Xbox series x controller works but home button and triggers, anyone know how to fix?: Nothing on Xbox series x controller works but home button and triggers, anyone know how to fix? Or what the issue is? e5bf8b2b-5ded-4f31-bbe4-9297b8933ac6
  3. Elite Series 2 Controller Wasn't Fixed When Sent For Repairs

in XBoX on Consoles
    Elite Series 2 Controller Wasn't Fixed When Sent For Repairs: 5 Months after i purchased the elite series 2, i had stick drift (LHS) and the X/Y/B/A buttons where double clicking. 4 Months after i got it back, the exact same issues were happening again. This...
  4. Xbox series x/s controller vibration not working in games, any fix?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Xbox series x/s controller vibration not working in games, any fix?: Hi everybody, here what's happening in short: If the controller is connected via bluetooth it does not vibrate while playing games, but it does vibrate if I use any of the browser based testing...
  5. When will the Xbox Series X Controller Firmware get fixed?

in XBoX on Consoles
    When will the Xbox Series X Controller Firmware get fixed?: When will Xbox/Microsoft fix the issue with Xbox Series X disconnecting every 10 mins from BT? It's not a controller hardware issue, so getting replaced does nothing. Tested same controller on a...
  6. Please Microsoft, fix pairing for the Xbox One and Series X|S controllers

in XBoX on Consoles
    Please Microsoft, fix pairing for the Xbox One and Series X|S controllers: I have read several posts on how to fix a problem I repeatedly encounter, but none contain adequate responses from Microsoft on resolving the matter once and for all. My Xbox One and Series X|S...
  7. Please fix the Xbox Series 2 Elite Controller when connecting to Windows 10 using Bluetooth

in XBoX on Consoles
    Please fix the Xbox Series 2 Elite Controller when connecting to Windows 10 using Bluetooth: Many users, including myself, are unable to connect their Elite Series 2 controller to their Windows 10 PCs using Bluetooth. Following the help / support guides we are prompted to download the...
  8. Why Microsoft doesn't fix a bug that give input issue with Xbox Series X controllers on...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Why Microsoft doesn't fix a bug that give input issue with Xbox Series X controllers on...: Even after OS update 10.0.22000.2656, on Xbox Series X when some games like Doom Eternal, Crash Bandicoot 4, Psychonauts 2, Tales of Arise and Visage are launched (only Xbox Series X enhanced...
  9. Does anyone know a fix for Xbox Series X controllers NOT turning on?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Does anyone know a fix for Xbox Series X controllers NOT turning on?: So before I bought a Series X, I bought a new Wireless controller for my xbox one. It worked great for a few hours, but randomly it wouldn’t turn on anymore. I was ready to refund it, but I came...
  10. Why use a cable to fix series x controller disconnecting when we all paid for a wireless...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why use a cable to fix series x controller disconnecting when we all paid for a wireless...: Getting sick of this now. Controller works fine for weeks , then plays up again, constantly disconnecting. Tried all the updates etc and still same issue. To make matters worse, they expect you to...