How to force Xbox One to use 5GHz instead of 2.4?

Discus and support How to force Xbox One to use 5GHz instead of 2.4? in XboX Networking Hardware to solve the problem; How to force Xbox One to use 5GHz instead of 2.4? Thanks everyone and fully appreciate all the suggestions "outside" of the Xbox. Ideally I was... Discussion in 'XboX Networking Hardware' started by evillama, Dec 5, 2019.

1. evillama
    evillama Guest

Thanks everyone and fully appreciate all the suggestions "outside" of the Xbox.

Ideally I was looking for a way to configure the Xbox itself, and not have to do anything funky with my network - but seems that's just not possible (like it is by tinkering with a PC network adapter using admin rights.)

For reference, I'm using a Linksys Velop "mesh" wifi system with two nodes. There is no way to force an individual device on this system to use 5GHz, apart from separating the bandwidths - which actually defeats the purpose of the product's design, which
    is to be as smoothly transitional as possible when moving from room-to-room with no signal loss.

I may just go the Homeplug route since I have some old adapters hanging around somewhere. Just hope the network speed is better than 2.4 - even if not as fast as 5GHz.

:)

evillama, Dec 5, 2019
  2. Frathos Win User

Does your router allow you to set a per band specific Wireless MAC Filter (eg ASUS GT-AC5300 includes this type functionality)? If it does, then add your Xbox to the 5G band and leave it out of the 2.4 band (or vice versa...specify which can use 2.4 and
    leave Xbox off of that list).

Unfortunately...that would likely mean you'd have to specify all of the other devices allowed to use 2.4 as well (you could leave 5G open if you didn't want to restrict other devices).

Good luck!
  3. Njal the Blue Win User

Another option is to alter what band your routers 2.4GHz is set to. This may stop the interference
  4. evillama Win User

Thanks everyone and fully appreciate all the suggestions "outside" of the Xbox.

Ideally I was looking for a way to configure the Xbox itself, and not have to do anything funky with my network - but seems that's just not possible (like it is by tinkering with a PC network adapter using admin rights.)

For reference, I'm using a Linksys Velop "mesh" wifi system with two nodes. There is no way to force an individual device on this system to use 5GHz, apart from separating the bandwidths - which actually defeats the purpose of the product's design, which
    is to be as smoothly transitional as possible when moving from room-to-room with no signal loss.

I may just go the Homeplug route since I have some old adapters hanging around somewhere. Just hope the network speed is better than 2.4 - even if not as fast as 5GHz.
  5. zl DiviNe lz Win User

you need to change the name of one of the networks or it will preferentially connect to the 2.4 network
  6. evillama Win User

Another option is to alter what band your routers 2.4GHz is set to. This may stop the interference
    We've tried every band already - seems our 1250W microwave gives off a veritable "EMP" while cooking food!
Thema:

1. How to force Xbox One to use 5GHz instead of 2.4? - Similar Threads - force 5GHz instead

2. Xbox Gamertag Force Change

in XBoX Accessibility
    Xbox Gamertag Force Change: So I logged in today to the new and welcoming name of ootyiches56, yes, like bootyitches56. I think I know why it was forced changed, it might be because of it being too long because my account is...
  3. Xbox one games won't load and force close themselves

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox one games won't load and force close themselves: Recently my Xbox one s has been having a few problems. From troubleshooting to games not loading, its a great pain and i don't know how to fix it. For the past while now, ive been having...
  4. Microsoft force charged me Gold subscription, I see it in my paypal, but I dont see It on...

in XBoX Sales and Promo
    Microsoft force charged me Gold subscription, I see it in my paypal, but I dont see It on...: How can I talk directly with microsoft? The money I had in my debit card was for another important purpose and Microsoft just decided to charge a ghost gold subscription it doesnt appear in my...
  5. My Gamertag was Force Changed After 4 Years of Ownership

in XBoX on Consoles
    My Gamertag was Force Changed After 4 Years of Ownership: I know this is a touchy subject to enter on a Forum page but I honestly just need some opinions and feedback on this if you would't mind. My Gamertag "Murda" (Just those 5 letters, no numbers or...
  6. Cause of Forced Update Reboot Jan 30 630AM EST?

in XboX Insiders
    Cause of Forced Update Reboot Jan 30 630AM EST?: Can someone confirm that it is within xbox standard operating procedure for for a forced reboot to have happened on Jan 30, 6:30AM? Last time this was brought up a specific time policy was...
  7. Force 5ghz connection within XGS app

in XboX Insiders
    Force 5ghz connection within XGS app: I have google wifi and there's no way to choose the 5ghz. However, I use an app called 'wifi band' that always tries to connect to 5ghz if available. Knowing that this can be done from within an...
  8. can you use logitech driving force gt steering wheel on xbox one s

in XBoX on Consoles
    can you use logitech driving force gt steering wheel on xbox one s: thinking of getting xbox one s and does anyone know if can use logitech driving force GT steering wheel? 6d330fae-02aa-46b1-a7fa-d4aafb847600
  9. Forcing 12 month xbox live to 4 month game pass ultimate

in XBoX on Consoles
    Forcing 12 month xbox live to 4 month game pass ultimate: How do override th converting my 12 month live pass to 4 month game pass ultimate when I go to redeem code.? a5e033fb-7413-4484-b9b1-2d18a7651a5c
  10. Turtle Beach Ear Force 200 not working

in XBoX on Consoles
    Turtle Beach Ear Force 200 not working: Well, the title says it all... I recently got a Turtle Beach Ear Force 200 headset to use on my Xbox. I have it set up to a Acer Ha240Y/HA270 monitor, if that means anything. But I'm not getting...