How to open files in WindowsApps folder (Xbox App beta)

Discus and support How to open files in WindowsApps folder (Xbox App beta) in XBoX on Windows to solve the problem; I'm trying to run a game downloaded with the Xbox App (beta) on Windows 10. This game keeps crashing on startup. The game is written with an older... Discussion in 'XBoX on Windows' started by GuavamanX, Sep 22, 2019.

1. GuavamanX
    GuavamanX Guest

I'm trying to run a game downloaded with the Xbox App (beta) on Windows 10. This game keeps crashing on startup. The game is written with an older version of Unity and saves a log file into the application install directory. This file, output_log.txt, is
    in the application install directory inside the WindowsApps directory. I can gain access to the protected WindowsApps directory by changing the security settings and taking ownership of it and setting it to apply to all objects within the directory, but I
    still cannot open the output_log.txt file. I have tried everything and the system simply will not allow me to change permissions on this file to read it. There is absolutely no way for me to know why this game is crashing because I cannot gain access to its
    log file to get more information about the crash. (The game developers tell people to look at the log file to determine what's going on with the crash -- I can't do that because of these over-the-top security restrictions preventing me from even reading files
    on my own hard disk. That's malware by any definition.)

:)

GuavamanX, Sep 22, 2019
  2. Ackis Win User

When you took ownership, did you apply it to sub folders/directories?
  3. Vega8 Win User

I have the same problems, but moreso I'm just trying to add Wolfenstein II as a Non-Steam game. I can't do that because the permissions of the files inside of the WindowsApp locks me out and there are zero options to modify permissions.

I am literally the Administrator of my own computer. I have to grant permission to myself to get read access to WindowsApp, and yes, with the
    sub folders and directories too. Ah, but of course, the files inside are behind a tighter wall.. these files (such as log files) are actually important to the user, we need to be able to access them. We shouldn't be locked out of this, that's actually
    bad.
  4. Obsessive Power Win User

Where can i find the gamefiles of a game downloaded from the Microsoft store Windows 10

Hi,

Windows 10 games whether they are on Microsoft's PC game pass App or Play Anywhere titles, use the standard Windows Universal Platform for installation. This places all downloads (apps and games) into a hidden Windows folder called 'WindowsApps'.

If your game or app is installed on C:\ drive, the WindowsApps
    hidden folder will be located within the 'Program Files' folder. On other drives the folder will be located in the root location of the drive e.g.
    D:\WindowsApps

Once you've un-hidden the folders and found the WindowsApps folder, you'll next need to take ownership of said folder. To do this, follow instructions on

this website
    from intowindows.com (not a Microsoft owned website).

This does not require you download or install anything, just follow the instructions in the link.

Hope that helps
  5. Obsessive Power Win User

Metro Exodus Install Location?

Hi,

I can not say for sure if you will be able to successfully change any ini files to get more performance, and the following information I'm providing is to be performed at your own risk.

All games and apps on GamePass and the Windows Store are installed to a hidden folder called WindowsApps. This folder is located in C:\Program Files. If your game is installed on a secondary drive the WindowsApps folder will be in the root directory of the
    drive.

Un-hiding this folder won't be enough to change any settings. You'll need to gain access to this folder, how to do this can be found

here.

May I ask what your system specs are and what you are trying to change?
  6. Obsessive Power Win User

Xbox Game Pass PC game .exe location?

You dont as they are runed thru the xbox app not windows store
    That doesn't matter. True, they are installed and managed by the Game Pass Beta app, but the games still install to the same hidden Windows Apps folder as standard Windows 10 apps.

To gain access you need to change some simple admin privileges.
    This website explains how
Thema:

1. How to open files in WindowsApps folder (Xbox App beta) - Similar Threads - open files WindowsApps

2. Fortnite wouldn't open and gives a black screen when loading and then kicks me out, i tried...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Fortnite wouldn't open and gives a black screen when loading and then kicks me out, i tried...: Fortnite wouldn't open and gives a black screen when loading and then kicks me out, i tried clearing my cache but didn't work 05b714e1-f9ce-429c-a501-b03070351cd1
  3. My File Explorer App Wont Open

in XBoX Games and Apps
    My File Explorer App Wont Open: Hi I have the my file explorer app and recently recorded the fortnite event and saved it and i was trying to upload it and the app crashed and now it wont open I’ve tried uninstalling it and re...
  4. Gears 5 wont work (Failed to open Descriptor File)

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Gears 5 wont work (Failed to open Descriptor File): I tried launching Gears 5 today on the xbox beta app for windows 10 and I got a weird error message. (Failed to open descriptor file '../../GearGAme/GearGame.uproject)...
  5. Onesync file opening

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Onesync file opening: (sorry in advance im only 11 so expet spelling errors also i dont know if you even help me with this) so i downloaded OneSync since i couldn't find OneDrive i guessed my tablet didnt support it...
  6. Xbox one. S will. Not. Open .exe file. For new programs

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox one. S will. Not. Open .exe file. For new programs: Help Xbox one. S console. Does not open .exe on downloaded files 87f62e0b-fcab-45d6-bab4-dac84e336980
  7. Minecraft XboxOne Add support to open .mcpack files

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Minecraft XboxOne Add support to open .mcpack files: With the removal of file manager/explorer is now impossible to add custom mods to minecraft in xboxone, please add support to open mcpack files or add another way to install custom content....
  8. Xbox one: UFO.Transfer Open in file explore gives 0x80070490 error

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox one: UFO.Transfer Open in file explore gives 0x80070490 error: Xbox one: UFO.Transfer Open in file explore gives 0x80070490 error Im trying to open file explore so i can put a resource/behavior pack in the minecraft folder. I’mfollowing these instructions:...
  9. File Explorer not opening

in XBoX Games and Apps
    File Explorer not opening: Hello everyone, I am having issues opening my file explorer app on the Xbox One, whenever I try to open it, an error message shows up with a code, I entered this code into a page that the error...
  10. Forza Horizon 4 opens up a JPEG file

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Forza Horizon 4 opens up a JPEG file: I have xbox game pass for windows 10 and picked up forza horizon 4 as it was included in the pass. Once it was installed with no errors and plenty of space on the hard drive it would load up a...