How to open files in WindowsApps folder (Xbox App beta)

Discus and support How to open files in WindowsApps folder (Xbox App beta) in XBoX on Windows to solve the problem; I'm trying to run a game downloaded with the Xbox App (beta) on Windows 10. This game keeps crashing on startup. The game is written with an older... Discussion in 'XBoX on Windows' started by GuavamanX, Sep 22, 2019.

1. GuavamanX
    GuavamanX Guest

I'm trying to run a game downloaded with the Xbox App (beta) on Windows 10. This game keeps crashing on startup. The game is written with an older version of Unity and saves a log file into the application install directory. This file, output_log.txt, is
    in the application install directory inside the WindowsApps directory. I can gain access to the protected WindowsApps directory by changing the security settings and taking ownership of it and setting it to apply to all objects within the directory, but I
    still cannot open the output_log.txt file. I have tried everything and the system simply will not allow me to change permissions on this file to read it. There is absolutely no way for me to know why this game is crashing because I cannot gain access to its
    log file to get more information about the crash. (The game developers tell people to look at the log file to determine what's going on with the crash -- I can't do that because of these over-the-top security restrictions preventing me from even reading files
    on my own hard disk. That's malware by any definition.)

:)

GuavamanX, Sep 22, 2019
  2. Ackis Win User

When you took ownership, did you apply it to sub folders/directories?
  3. Vega8 Win User

I have the same problems, but moreso I'm just trying to add Wolfenstein II as a Non-Steam game. I can't do that because the permissions of the files inside of the WindowsApp locks me out and there are zero options to modify permissions.

I am literally the Administrator of my own computer. I have to grant permission to myself to get read access to WindowsApp, and yes, with the
    sub folders and directories too. Ah, but of course, the files inside are behind a tighter wall.. these files (such as log files) are actually important to the user, we need to be able to access them. We shouldn't be locked out of this, that's actually
    bad.
  4. Obsessive Power Win User

Where can i find the gamefiles of a game downloaded from the Microsoft store Windows 10

Hi,

Windows 10 games whether they are on Microsoft's PC game pass App or Play Anywhere titles, use the standard Windows Universal Platform for installation. This places all downloads (apps and games) into a hidden Windows folder called 'WindowsApps'.

If your game or app is installed on C:\ drive, the WindowsApps
    hidden folder will be located within the 'Program Files' folder. On other drives the folder will be located in the root location of the drive e.g.
    D:\WindowsApps

Once you've un-hidden the folders and found the WindowsApps folder, you'll next need to take ownership of said folder. To do this, follow instructions on

this website
    from intowindows.com (not a Microsoft owned website).

This does not require you download or install anything, just follow the instructions in the link.

Hope that helps
  5. Obsessive Power Win User

Xbox Game Pass PC game .exe location?

You dont as they are runed thru the xbox app not windows store
    That doesn't matter. True, they are installed and managed by the Game Pass Beta app, but the games still install to the same hidden Windows Apps folder as standard Windows 10 apps.

To gain access you need to change some simple admin privileges.
    This website explains how
  6. XBF Diego M Win User

Xbox (Beta) Installer Frozen at installer

Hi cygrips,

Thank you for posting on the Xbox forums. I'd be happy to help.

It seems like the app was possibly not uninstalled or deleted properly from your PC and now it freezes when trying to re-install. Do you see the app still in your Task manager? Click where it says more details and go through each tab and locate the Xbox
    game pass beta app. Right click and then select Open file location, which should open the folder with any files you would still need to delete.

Open run window (Windowskey + R) - Type in: "%appdata%" - Delete the Xbox app (beta) for the PC Game Pass folder in the roaming folder (You should be in it already). Go back one folder, then you should end up in Appdata - Go to "Local" - Delete the
    beta Xbox app folder in there too. You can also get to the local folder by typing %localappdata% in the run window. Once you delete the folders for the app that is having issues, try re-installing again from this website https://www.xbox.com/xbox-game-pass/pc-games.
Thema:

1. How to open files in WindowsApps folder (Xbox App beta) - Similar Threads - open files WindowsApps

2. A/C spinning to the right when throttle opened.

in XBoX Games and Apps
    A/C spinning to the right when throttle opened.: Hello all. I am reinstalling FSX on my PC after upgrading to Windows 10. I have got an Attack 3 joystick and everything worked fine until I did a calibration check on the joystick. Now I have a...
  3. Shadows of War expansion game pass not working. Brand new ugh opened game.

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Shadows of War expansion game pass not working. Brand new ugh opened game.: Hello, Just bought shadow of war definitive edition and the 4 in 1 game pass not working. Any help? 0d967692-d577-4f09-bda5-5fead388cdc7
  4. Console não abre jogos ou crasha quando os abre [Console does not open games or crashes...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Console não abre jogos ou crasha quando os abre [Console does not open games or crashes...: Olá! Eu tenho o Xbox One S, e tenho tido problemas com o console de travamentos no sistema/engasgos, além de jogos que não abrem ou quando abrem crasham em segundos. Eu abro qualquer jogo e...
  5. game does not open on xbox one x

in XBoX Games and Apps
    game does not open on xbox one x: My xbox one x arrived yesterday and came with the power cord with the standard of another country, as I did not find the adapter, bought a universal power cord, so far so good xbox is working, but...
  6. game does not open on xbox one x

in XBoX Games and Apps
    game does not open on xbox one x: My xbox one x arrived yesterday and came with the power cord with the standard of another country, as I did not find the adapter, bought a universal power cord, so far so good xbox is working, but...
  7. my son has downloaded fifa20 but when he try's to open proclub all he gets is a grey...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    my son has downloaded fifa20 but when he try's to open proclub all he gets is a grey...: my son is unable to open pro clubs on the new fifa20 why would this be cdabb9a6-5f3c-499b-9ee8-42459ada090e
  8. Something about the controller's connection when opening the Xbox at first time

in XBoX on Consoles
    Something about the controller's connection when opening the Xbox at first time: [img] When I open the Xbox at first time,there is gonna to be a photo like this to let me press "A" button and then my controller is connected. So,how does is works without pressing the bind...
  9. File Explorer not opening

in XBoX Games and Apps
    File Explorer not opening: Hello everyone, I am having issues opening my file explorer app on the Xbox One, whenever I try to open it, an error message shows up with a code, I entered this code into a page that the error...
  10. Forza Horizon 4 opens up a JPEG file

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Forza Horizon 4 opens up a JPEG file: I have xbox game pass for windows 10 and picked up forza horizon 4 as it was included in the pass. Once it was installed with no errors and plenty of space on the hard drive it would load up a...