How to set up Xbox 360 so game sound comes through headphones, not TV?

Discus and support How to set up Xbox 360 so game sound comes through headphones, not TV? in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; Hey Everyone, Unlike my PS4, this Xbox 360 has no provision for listening to the game audio through headphones plugged into the controller. Is there... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by kharrisma, Jul 15, 2018.

1. kharrisma
    kharrisma Guest

Hey Everyone,

Unlike my PS4, this Xbox 360 has no provision for listening to the game audio through headphones plugged into the controller. Is there some kind of hardware configuration I can use so the game audio (not chat, I don't do online gaming) can be heard only
    through headphones? My TV is an older Visio, with 2 HDMI inputs as well as the older RCA inputs, too. Both HDMI ports are in use (Roku & PS4), so I'd like to use the AV/RCA cable to connect it to the TV. So is there some box or adapter that can go inline
    with the audio output to the TV that will interrupt the audio feed to the TV when the headphones are plugged in, or has a switch (to TV; to Headphones) that will broadcast the audio wirelessly to a wireless headset (which I'd prefer... don't like long cables
    all over the place; that's one place where the PS4 really clobbers the Xbox.) Or something I haven't thought of altogether?

Thanks for any suggestions!

:)

kharrisma, Jul 15, 2018
  2. nagadas
    nagadas Guest
    how do i re route the sound from my tv to just my headphones?

I have my headphones tritton 720 plugged into my new 360 slim through optical cable in back of the slim. I hear both sound coming from my tv through hdmi and my tritton headphones. How do i cut the sound from my tv and just have the sound come through my
    headphones?

nagadas, Jul 15, 2018
  3. How to use headphones only for sound

I want to be able to plug in my headphones into the audio jack on my Xbox one controller and hear sound through my headphones only, everytime i plug in my headphones into the controller the sound comes through the headphones themselves and the tv speakers,
    how do i change that? Thanks

QuickMasta123, Jul 15, 2018
  4. M3tal Daz3
    M3tal Daz3 Guest

I hope you are aware that you trying to use new technology on a console of the old generation (time to upgrade maybe)

That being said I'm sorry to disappoint, but the headphone jack on the 360 controller is for voice communications only. Game sounds, music, etc. are all played through the display device (tv/monitor).

To get the audio from the Xbox to your headset you'll need some sort of converter cable/connector that turns the red/white connector that goes to your tv to the jack that you have on your headset.

M3tal Daz3, Jul 15, 2018
  5. Arminator
    Arminator Guest
    Just like the next generation Playstation 4, the Xbox One is ABLE to give you headphone game sound from the controller.

On the Xbox 360 you are limited to chat sound only.

Also, keep in mind that by using the AV/RCA cable on the Xbox, you do not get HD graphics and are limited to low resolution standard TV resolutions, so you might want to think about investing in an AV receiver with enough HDMI inputs, or getting a HDMI switch.

But as for your sound issue:

If you have an Xbox 360 E model (the rectangular one that looks like the Xbox One), and you're using the AV/RCA plugs, you can get a stereo audio signal from the red and white RCA plugs. You'd "only" need an adapter to go from stereo RCA to any amplifying
    headphone.

Or for the original Xbox 360 or S model, that console also has an optical output. For that, there are some headsets with a base station, that you can use to plug in an optical cable, to be able to get surround sound, that then transmits the sound wirelessly
    to the headphone.

Unfortunately, due to the age of the Xbox 360, a lot of headset makers discontinued such headphones.

You might try to find some leftover stock or an offer on ebay for a Razer Chimera 5.1 headset, Turtle Beach EarForce X42 and the likes, that have a base station. You can plug an optical cable or the stereo RCA plugs into the base station, which then transmits
    the sound wirelessly to the headphone.

Arminator, Jul 15, 2018
  6. kharrisma
    kharrisma Guest
    Thanks for the detailed info, ArminatorX. That's exactly what I was looking for! I picked this thing up for a measley $25, and figured I could finally play games that weren't available on other platforms. I've also managed to snag about a dozen really
    good games for around $5 each, so I'm set for awhile. I like my PS4 a lot, but it can't play any of the Halo games, among others. I do most of my gaming either very early or very late; either way, the wife is asleep, and I'd like to keep her that way. I
    wasn't aware the optical output carried audio as well... that sounds like the best solution by far.

kharrisma, Nov 3, 2018
  7. Arminator Win User

Just like the next generation Playstation 4, the Xbox One is ABLE to give you headphone game sound from the controller.

Also, keep in mind that by using the AV/RCA cable on the Xbox, you do not get HD graphics and are limited to low resolution standard TV resolutions, so you might want to think about investing in an AV receiver with enough HDMI inputs, or getting a HDMI switch.

If you have an Xbox 360 E model (the rectangular one that looks like the Xbox One), and you're using the AV/RCA plugs, you can get a stereo audio signal from the red and white RCA plugs. You'd "only" need an adapter to go from stereo RCA to any amplifying
    headphone.

Or for the original Xbox 360 or S model, that console also has an optical output. For that, there are some headsets with a base station, that you can use to plug in an optical cable, to be able to get surround sound, that then transmits the sound wirelessly
    to the headphone.

Unfortunately, due to the age of the Xbox 360, a lot of headset makers discontinued such headphones.

You might try to find some leftover stock or an offer on ebay for a Razer Chimera 5.1 headset, Turtle Beach EarForce X42 and the likes, that have a base station. You can plug an optical cable or the stereo RCA plugs into the base station, which then transmits
  8. kharrisma Win User

headphone.

to the headphone.

Thanks for the detailed info, ArminatorX. That's exactly what I was looking for! I picked this thing up for a measley $25, and figured I could finally play games that weren't available on other platforms. I've also managed to snag about a dozen really
    good games for around $5 each, so I'm set for awhile. I like my PS4 a lot, but it can't play any of the Halo games, among others. I do most of my gaming either very early or very late; either way, the wife is asleep, and I'd like to keep her that way. I
    wasn't aware the optical output carried audio as well... that sounds like the best solution by far.
  9. M3tal Daz3 Win User

I hope you are aware that you trying to use new technology on a console of the old generation (time to upgrade maybe)

That being said I'm sorry to disappoint, but the headphone jack on the 360 controller is for voice communications only. Game sounds, music, etc. are all played through the display device (tv/monitor).

To get the audio from the Xbox to your headset you'll need some sort of converter cable/connector that turns the red/white connector that goes to your tv to the jack that you have on your headset.
  10. ArminatorX Win User

headset with jack 3.5

Go to the console settings, and under the video and audio settings, you can enable the option to hear game sound through your headphones.

On the same settings page, you can also choose to have either regular stereo sound coming through your headphones, or you can use "Windows Sonic" to get spatial 3D sound, similar to Dolby Atmos, or if you have purchased the full Dolby Atmos App, you can
    also enable Dolby Atmos for headphones, and get Atmos 3D sound through your headphones.

After you've enabled game sound through your headphones, you can then choose the balance between game sound and chat sound with the sliders mentioned by the posts above.
  11. GreenDisease Win User

How to use headphones only for sound

To my knowledge, you can not adjust game sound to come through the headphones only. However, you can do this for chat by going into the chat setting and voicing through the headset only. As far as game sound, I usually turn my tv all the way down and just
    turn up the game sound on my controller with the headset adapter.
Thema:

1. How to set up Xbox 360 so game sound comes through headphones, not TV? - Similar Threads - set 360 game

2. having difficulty setting up an xbox live account on 360 in 2021

in XBoX on Consoles
    having difficulty setting up an xbox live account on 360 in 2021: Hi everyone Im trying to set up an xbox live account on my xbox 360, but when it asks for a first name it gives me an invalid message. I've even tried just typing random letters and numbers at...
  3. delete family setting on xbox 360

in XBoX on Consoles
    delete family setting on xbox 360: delete family settings on xbox 360 ea709d9c-283f-4540-ac2b-4d910bbed712
  4. Xbox 360-One Rock band set

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox 360-One Rock band set: Hi I have a xbox 360 set of drums and guitar but now have a xbox one. How do I get them to work on the one now? b106b234-22a0-44c7-812b-80587bca83df
  5. how can i set up xbox 360 wireless control to control mouse pointer to my laptop windows 10 pro

in XBoX Accessibility
    how can i set up xbox 360 wireless control to control mouse pointer to my laptop windows 10 pro: how can i set up xbox 360 wireless control to control mouse pointer to my laptop windows 10 pro 728037a1-a18d-44ea-a92a-cf91075952b9
  6. how can i set up xbox 360 control wireless to control mouse windows 10 pro?

in XBoX Accessibility
    how can i set up xbox 360 control wireless to control mouse windows 10 pro?: how can i set up xbox 360 control wireless to control mouse windows 10 pro? dffcfe4b-4fd7-4c0c-8717-b4732d11e557
  7. Can Not Access xBox 360 Old/Saved Games After Setting Up xBox 1.....Help.

in XBoX Accessibility
    Can Not Access xBox 360 Old/Saved Games After Setting Up xBox 1.....Help.: Got a new xBox 1 S. Hooked everything up and my account info transferred when I entered the email and password. Started playing Assassin Creed Origins to make sure all was good. It was. I read...
  8. Original Xbox game Jet Set Radio Future standalone and Combo disc Compatible with Xbox 360?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Original Xbox game Jet Set Radio Future standalone and Combo disc Compatible with Xbox 360?: I know it may be compatible but before I spend money on it, I'd like to know for sure if it's compatible. 344ead6a-8a65-497a-aaad-d62fca268c81
  9. Buying XBOX 360 game via XBOX store fails due to wrong location setting

in XBoX on Consoles
    Buying XBOX 360 game via XBOX store fails due to wrong location setting: Hi, I have an XBOX One and I'm trying to buy an XBOX 360 game (Monkey Island 2: SE) via the XBOX store, but it fails due to a wrong location setting. At the moment when I click in this page on...
  10. Xbox 360 Privacy Settings Still Broken. Blocking "Game Activity" still also blocking ...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox 360 Privacy Settings Still Broken. Blocking "Game Activity" still also blocking ...: HELLO XBOX, (I have been working on this post for a few days now and finally I get to upload and post it tonight) I am creating this post because I would like to report an Xbox Live issue that...