How well do installed games on flash drives run on 360?

Discus and support How well do installed games on flash drives run on 360? in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; I have an Xbox 360 slim 4GB version, and I right now have the chance to get a 30GB flash drive. Now, the Xbox 360 hard drive for the slim, in my... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by residentevilout, Jun 10, 2014.

1. How well do installed games on flash drives run on 360?

I have an Xbox 360 slim 4GB version, and I right now have the chance to get a 30GB flash drive. Now, the Xbox 360 hard drive for the slim, in my opinion, is rather expensive.

So, I am basically asking Xbox 360 gamers who install games to their USB sticks: How well does it run?

There are a few games I want to install. Notably GTA IV because for some reason, I am having severe texture problems running from disc (This is the only game that does it for me, and according to GTAForums, installing the game seems to fix the problem)

:)

residentevilout, Jun 10, 2014
  2. HENS2000
    HENS2000 Guest
    Game not playing off usb drive

So i installed disc one on my HDD, and then I bought a flash drive to install disc 2 on it so it wouldnt run on my disc drive cause its makes so much noise. Its worked a few times where I dont hear the disc drive but most of the time its just running off
    the disc drive :/ I have all my saves on the flash drive and I still dont know how to make it so it reads the game from the flash drive and not the disk drive. Someone help?

HENS2000, Jun 10, 2014
  3. NMXU
    NMXU Guest
    Installing GTA V to USB Flash Drive

I have my Install Disc for Grand Theft Auto V installed to my hard drive, and today I installed the "Play" disc to a USB drive formatted for my Xbox 360 because of recommendations that it would give better performance. However, whenever I start up my game,
    my console still makes a lot of noise because of the disc spinning meaning it isn't reading from my USB drive. How do I get it to read from my USB drive? There used to be an option in the older dashboard like "Run from Hard Drive" if you had the game installed
    and pressed X at the dashboard, but that option is gone now. How do I force the game to run from it's installed flash drive?

4. voteDC
    voteDC Guest

They wont run as well as from a hard drive but you'll still get better performance than running it from the optical drive.

Just try and avoid PNY USB drives. They seem to be the ones that cause the most trouble.

voteDC, Jun 10, 2014
  5. voteDC Win User

They wont run as well as from a hard drive but you'll still get better performance than running it from the optical drive.

Just try and avoid PNY USB drives. They seem to be the ones that cause the most trouble.
  6. HassanB Win User

Max Payne 3 Game Error Problem!

Hello GT Strength,

Do you have the ability to remove your XBOX 360's Hard Drive and use a USB Flash Drive (16GB) to download your profile to, and install the game on? I'm going out on a limb here but I'm guessing the reason why your able to play the game normally when it's not
    installed is due to a bad hard drive or a failing hard drive.

Using a USB Flash Drive and seeing if you are able to run the game with no problems will then give us a bigger picture of the issue and how to go about correcting it.
  7. OG Pooh Win User

Awakenings Expansion- I bought it... so why wont it let me play it?

This is going to sound odd but, even with an HDD, the extra content disk needs to be installed twice (so to speak). The first install is like the download process, in that it puts the info on the 360 (you may not NEED to install the extra content disc, so
    much as just run it). Running the extra content pack merges it with the game file. Without an HDD, there's no game file for the extra content to become a part of. So my guess is that without an HDD, you can't use the extra content... Unless you have DAO installed
    to your flash drive as well. See if you can install DAO to your flash drive, then install the extra content with it. I can't say for sure if or how this would work, since I've never had to deal with not having an HDD.
  8. Malacath Win User

WTH With the Graphics?

The game should not be installed to the HDD. Doing so apparently causes the texture issues.

Best to run the game from the DVD.

Apparently though you can install the game to a USB flash drive and that will fix all the texture issues.
  9. XxTHE L3G3NDxXX Win User

Online Pass FIfa 13

I would also say alongside the online pass install the game on your hard drove as well, try downloading the pass on to a flash drive by selecting that flash drive at the begining of the game
Thema:

1. How well do installed games on flash drives run on 360? - Similar Threads - installed games flash

2. Game pass - Gears 5 - It's not installed.

in XBoX on Windows
    Game pass - Gears 5 - It's not installed.: I can't play further than 1st act, because game it's not fully installed, but it isn't installing or downloading. It's stopped at 78%. What should i do? 9ddb0921-b594-46fa-b019-8306c5124bf6
  3. Problems Installing PC games via App

in XBoX on Windows
    Problems Installing PC games via App: I tried to install a PC game via the Xbox Beta app. When i click on the game it has the install button, when I click on that it asks me where to install it. I select the drive and something...
  4. Digital games fail to install

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Digital games fail to install: Hello, i just bought the new Tom Clancy Ghost Recon Breakpoint and when i tried to download it, it stopped at 22.07gb out of the total 47gb. I now have this problem with the rest of my digital...
  5. Unable to install/play Gears 5 after download (Xbox PC Game Pass)

in XBoX on Windows
    Unable to install/play Gears 5 after download (Xbox PC Game Pass): Hi folks, Gears 5 was previously working on my PC. I did a reformat for unrelated reasons and reinstalled Gears 5. The Xbox app indicated the download was done, but presented me with the Install...
  6. Missing games in Ready to Install list

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Missing games in Ready to Install list: Has anyone else noticed that games are disappearing from the Ready to Install list after the most recent update? I have about 16 games just disappear. I can reinstall them from the store but that...
  7. Cannot install games on D drive says it is not formated to NTFS.

in XBoX on Windows
    Cannot install games on D drive says it is not formated to NTFS.: Every game I go to install it gives be a selection of where I want to install it, On C or D drive. C drive doesn't have an issue but when I select D drive it says "For this game. choose a drive...
  8. Can't install Game Pass beta games on PC

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Can't install Game Pass beta games on PC: I cannot install Forza Horizon 4, Sea of Thieves, or Sunset Overdrive, I get the same error every time. Code: 0x80073CF9 I've reset the store app, updated windows, ran wsreset.exe in elevated...
  9. Why I cant instal game to USB flash disc?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why I cant instal game to USB flash disc?: I connect USB falsh disc to my Xbox 360 but I cant instal games on it... Can you let me know why? Thanks for HELP! BR Tomas 348de911-8e95-4385-bac8-9f43c173eff0
  10. Installing game to flash drive and functionality.

in XBoX on Consoles
    Installing game to flash drive and functionality.: I have an Xbox 360E Slim w/4GB internal memory. I want to install games on a 32GB Flash Drive. I understand that I still need to insert the disk and the system will automatically run the program...