I want to go back to an old gamertag on my xbox account, but it claims it is taken.

Discus and support I want to go back to an old gamertag on my xbox account, but it claims it is taken. in XBoX Accessibility to solve the problem; I made an accidental name change a few months back and I now have 10 dollars to change it back. When i typed in my old gamertag it said it either... Discussion in 'XBoX Accessibility' started by poweerup, Apr 25, 2020.

1. poweerup
    poweerup Guest

I want to go back to an old gamertag on my xbox account, but it claims it is taken.

I made an accidental name change a few months back and I now have 10 dollars to change it back. When i typed in my old gamertag it said it either wasn't allowed or it was already taken. (By the way, its a custom gamertag) It may be that they keep the names
    even when people change them, idk how that all works and it won't let me contact support so hopefully an employee replies.

My gamertag now: Gangsta3770

The gamertag i want back: PowerUpVoltage

:)

poweerup, Apr 25, 2020
  2. poweerup Win User

I know the 12 character limit but im talking about the customize classic gamertag option, plus it says the name is unavailable or taken when I try it, doesn't say too many characters.

EDIT: and how would it be unavailable if I already had it? plus I don't see anything offensive about that name
  3. steeledwand7664 Win User

When a gamertag change is made the old gamertag becomes available immediately.

If you are trying to change the gamertag back to the old one and it is says its not available then its not available.

So the gamertag that you are wanting back is PowerUpVoltage

The problem is this MS made a new policy a couple months ago where any new gamertags including changes in gamertags have a limit of 12 characters.

The old gamertag is 14 characters so this is why it is not available for you to change your gamertag back.
  4. SteelyPenny1053 Win User

Account Doesn't Exists?

kinda same issue here.

so two years ago i deleted my ms account now two years late got a xbox one and created a new account but now i want my old gamertag back so thinking my old account had been deleted i tried to change my gamertag to my old gamertag but got a message that
    "that gamertag has already been taken" then i searched about that gamertag and found out that my old account hadnt been deleted yet and then when i tried to log in to my old account it said " there is no account by that email address". so i guess that old
    ms account got deleted but not the xbl account as i can still see my old gamertag,acchivement,account description and all.so is there any way to recover that old xbl account or the gamertag now by deleting that old xbl account so that gamertag be available
    to put in my new account?

im searching for a solution too.let me know if u find one.
  5. Absumption Win User

Xbox GamerTag Hacked!!!! Everyone watch out.

Yes my old old old gamertag got taken it sucked I didn't even call xbox support but I love my account now.
  6. Nemesis_tsuki Win User

Gamertag confusion

Hi

It is possible that this gamertag is tied to another Microsoft account that is not active on Xbox Live or the gamertag is one that had been withheld by Microsoft for another reason and this will prevent you from being to claim the gamertag.
    Well I have no idea what the issue is because Microsoft took my money and the gamertag is mine, of course not on the account I wanted it on.

Iv tried searching Google for similar experience to which I found none, can't imagine why one account saw it as taken when it obviously wasn't.
Thema:

1. I want to go back to an old gamertag on my xbox account, but it claims it is taken. - Similar Threads - old gamertag account

2. Want to use my old gamertag/account

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Want to use my old gamertag/account: Hi I have two Xbox accounts (PC). I can access both. One which I set up years ago, and one I set up more recently with a different/new email address. How can I transfer all my games/purchases etc...
  3. Change Xbox gamertag to new to email after old account was locked due to hacking

in XBoX Accessibility
    Change Xbox gamertag to new to email after old account was locked due to hacking: My Microsoft account was locked down as it was hacked. I've had this account for over 15years and microsoft won't unlock it due to suspicious behavior. I can't sign in to my old microsoft account...
  4. Bring my old gamertag to my newer account

in XBoX Accessibility
    Bring my old gamertag to my newer account: hello there, so i have two xbox accounts. one, an old account under a non-Microsoft email address. and two, an newer one with a Microsoft email address. So as i understand it, you can't merge...
  5. Use old gamertag on new account

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Use old gamertag on new account: Hi everyone, I bought a new Xbox One console this month and I created a new email account to manage it, but I tried to use my old gamertag () and I just remembered my old email account was linked...
  6. I changed my new account gamertag to a different gamertag can I use it on my old account...

in XBoX Accessibility
    I changed my new account gamertag to a different gamertag can I use it on my old account...: I saw the new update on gamertags so I wanted my old account to have no suffix when I changed my new accounts gamertag. b3001add-e8db-466e-b5cf-16853de7cdeb
  7. Ability to grab the Gamertag of an old inactive account

in XboX Insiders
    Ability to grab the Gamertag of an old inactive account: There is an old Gamertag that I've kept my eyes on for a bit and I would love to have the name. It's been inactive for years so it's just sitting there collecting dust. It's a name I've been going...
  8. Old gamertag not linked to a Microsoft account

in XBoX on Windows
    Old gamertag not linked to a Microsoft account: I have a gamertag, , that I registered many years ago. I wasn't using it for a while and never linked it to a Microsoft account. I chatted with Microsoft support and they told me that there is no...
  9. Inactive Gamertag reset. Old xbox 360 account.

in XBoX Accessibility
    Inactive Gamertag reset. Old xbox 360 account.: Can you pls give me the gamertag " Xuu " because the acc is for a long time inactive. I really want the gamertag and I think a live supporter created the ticket [mod removed] for me....
  10. Account recovery to get my old gamertag back

in XBoX Accessibility
    Account recovery to get my old gamertag back: A long time ago I made an account at a friends house with the gamertag ZTBowza. I would like to obtain the account back but I can not remember the email that was linked to it because I was 10...